New Jim Solo Album

Started by jttouch2, Apr 15, 2018, 05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHIMMJFAN

Ok just got through a few listens and damn his album has some fun guitar elements to it.

"Out of time" is so damn enjoyable, I need to hear this live with a full band.
"No Secrets" is top notch and yeah the Fleetwood Mac comparison is undeniable which I'm completely cool with.
I'm digging "Yes to Everything" especially his guitar work at the end, "No Use Waiting" needs to be played out on the road with MMJ please!
And "Too Good to Be True" is gorgeous and really brings a nice close to the album. Definitely my favorite of all of Jim's solo albums. I am a little bummed his upcoming tour is only acoustic after hearing this album, but damn the thoughts of some acoustic rarities is cool. I'm sure we will hear some of this album with MMJ in the future.

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

The DARK

Loving it more with each listen. Sounds like Mont De Sundua meets 60's garage/beach music. Favorite song is Yes to Everything; I just can't resist the goofy fun and that face-melting solo.
In another time, in another place, in another face

davymac

Finally gave it a full listen through this morning.  First impression is this is my favorite JJ solo album yet! 

Jbpats

Gave it my first listen on the way to work, and hate to be critical on such an exciting day, but i'm just not a fan. The distorted vocals are not for me, sounds like he is singing in the shower, and while the album shreds it just comes across as sloppy guitar playing. I kind of get a garage band had a $1000 to spend to cut a record at their local studio kind of vibe with it.
It actually got to a point where I was just waiting for it to end so i could throw on Circuital and get a familiar sound back through my head. I kept thinking throughout my listen that 'outta my system' would have fit well on this new album, and maybe if the songs were produced similarly to outta my system I would have dug it more.. but I don't think that's what Jim was going for.
All that said i plan on listening to it over and over again and i'm sure it'll grow on me, but off the bat it just doesn't do it.. but i guess i've never really been a fan of basic 2-3 minute rock songs in general from any artist. The album kind of screams The Clash to me which is certainly not for me.   
Of the three solo releases this is dead last, but I REALLY enjoyed Eternally Even and Regions of light and sound.. they still make it on my frequent playlist so they are certainly tough shoes to fill.

Hopefully it grows on me, because I was really excited for this release.

dookie shoot bandit

I personally love the "Live" feel
I love that it is butt naked and not over produced
I love that it's not tight and meticulous
I love seeing Jim having fun and letting loose
You can tell he really missed his guitar, and its like a love letter to "Mahgeetah"   :wink:

In my opinion Too Good To Be True is one of his most beautiful songs, and that guitar solo at the end, just when you think the song is over, is PERFECT!

Not only is this my favorite Jim record, I already put it above The Waterfall.

PS- I NEED to see Yes to Everthing live!!!

parkervb

the relisten factor of this one is skrong. I had not planned on getting this on vinyl, but I'll be at the local shop for a copy this weekend lol
Don't you ever turn it off

dru

Jim does it again. I cherish Eternally Even -- I really feel it's the What's Going On of our times.

But this is a rocker through and through and exactly what I needed for the mayhem of 2018. The world's in an uproar but Jim just wants to laugh a bit and play some rock and roll like "when we were young.". All good by me.

parkervb

Quote from: Jbpats on Jun 29, 2018, 07:50 AM
Gave it my first listen on the way to work, and hate to be critical on such an exciting day, but i'm just not a fan. The distorted vocals are not for me, sounds like he is singing in the shower, and while the album shreds it just comes across as sloppy guitar playing. I kind of get a garage band had a $1000 to spend to cut a record at their local studio kind of vibe with it.
It actually got to a point where I was just waiting for it to end so i could throw on Circuital and get a familiar sound back through my head. I kept thinking throughout my listen that 'outta my system' would have fit well on this new album, and maybe if the songs were produced similarly to outta my system I would have dug it more.. but I don't think that's what Jim was going for.
All that said i plan on listening to it over and over again and i'm sure it'll grow on me, but off the bat it just doesn't do it.. but i guess i've never really been a fan of basic 2-3 minute rock songs in general from any artist. The album kind of screams The Clash to me which is certainly not for me.   
Of the three solo releases this is dead last, but I REALLY enjoyed Eternally Even and Regions of light and sound.. they still make it on my frequent playlist so they are certainly tough shoes to fill.

Hopefully it grows on me, because I was really excited for this release.

you're not even being critical, you're just sharing your opinion while still leaving the door open for it to grow on you. It's funny, for all of the reasons you don't like it, it's endearing to me. And for the opposite reasons, I've only listened to his other proper solo albums like 5 times total. But, hey that's the reason they make chocolate and vanilla! I'm just happy our guy likes to sample a lot of flavors.
Don't you ever turn it off

dookie shoot bandit

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HVTzgnlVLjQ

Jim on the Illuminated Man, and meets the man (Duane Michals)

gardenparty

I love Regions and Eternally Even so will be tough to top.  Such good mood albums

I've just skimmed this so far and agree the vocals will be tough to warm up to.

Plan to give a couple full spins today

New Jacket days are certainly great days!

Cameron

Getting better with each listen. This will get played in my house a lot more than The Waterfall did.

ryno11111

Count me amongst the fans.  I love it on first listen.  I love all of Jim's stuff.   I love all of the Jacket's stuff.   No doubt new release days are the best days.   Consider myself blessed to be along for the ride with Jim and Tom and Pat and Carl and Bo and everybody else.       

Jbpats

Quote from: Cameron on Jun 29, 2018, 02:01 PM
Getting better with each listen. This will get played in my house a lot more than The Waterfall did.

Surprised by the Waterfall hate around here, I absolutely loved The Waterfall.

RobRoy286

Wow I love this album! Favorites - Out of Time, Yes to Everything, Over and Over, Too Good to Be True. The album finishes so strong.

I know most of it is pretty straight forward but does anyone have the lyrics?

searchinbig

Loving the new record! Great guitar work and the background chickletts are fuckin' awesome! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately the production makes this a strong negative for me. I know that was done on purpose but I just don't think I can get use to a shitty sounding record.  :undecided:
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

d_wil

Just swung by my local store to pick up a copy and they had 3 of the "Just A Fool"/"Yaki Soba" 7" still left. Went ahead and grabbed one of them for someone who wasn't able to get one. I know there's a few of y'all out there. Let me know and I'm happy to send it to you. And if anyone wants me to go get the other 2, I'm sure they'll still be there tomorrow. Can't wait to give the record a spin tonight!  :beer:

Cameron

Quote from: Jbpats on Jun 29, 2018, 02:38 PM

I definitely don't hate the waterfall. Half of it just doesn't click with me. The other half I really like. Live I like it more. This one is better start to finish though.

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: Cameron on Jun 29, 2018, 06:15 PM
Quote from: Jbpats on Jun 29, 2018, 02:38 PM

I definitely don't hate the waterfall. Half of it just doesn't click with me. The other half I really like. Live I like it more. This one is better start to finish though.

Ditto this

I didn't mean I hate The Waterfall
I just put this a step above
I like that I have been able to press play and walk away and not feel like I have to skip a song

Clarkwork

Never wanted to like something so much than this album....not happening for me.   Some good moments but just not a good album in my opinion
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

Varitek

I'm finding plenty that I like on this one. No Secrets is far and away my favorite tune at this point. These tunes scream "Take me on the road and play me LIVE & LOUD!!!"
The initial excitement with this album for me is slowly turning to disappointment. If he doesn't plan to tour with a full band in the coming months to support this album, then it would seem unlikely that it will happen at all...
"Did he just put on a cape?"