Favorite Jim Solo Song

Started by Jackets N Pones, Jul 11, 2018, 03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackets N Pones

Now that Uniform Distortion is out, what is your favorite song from Jim's solo albums? Not including Tribute To albums.

Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

rkwedge

State of the Art (A.E.I.O.U.) by a mile for me. Probably because I've seen it so many times live with MMJ. Maybe eventually something off Uniform Distortion will hit me but for now that production, which I get was intentional, doesn't do it for me. I would really like to hear "No Secrets" and "Too Good To Be True" live.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

Murph

That's a hard one.  I've always loved Of The Mother Again.  And Regions is stil my favorite Jim solo

HardNightConformist

It's gotta be Actress or The World Is Smiling Now.

Nikkogino

jttouch2

Quote from: Murph on Jul 11, 2018, 07:43 PM
That's a hard one.  I've always loved Of The Mother Again.  And Regions is stil my favorite Jim solo
Its really hard to beat Of the Mother Again

justbcuzido

Quote from: Murph on Jul 11, 2018, 07:43 PM

I've been praying for a live Of The Mother Again with MMJ! That's always been my favorite, and it was great seeing Jim do it live. It's always had this John Lennon feel to me.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

justbcuzido

A close second to Of the Mother, is always "Know Till Now" for me. First off, DMT and that song are like a match made in heaven and I think that's what Jim was singing about after pairing the two ;)

Another reason for me is the single for Know Till Now came out a few days after I moved into a new city and was living downtown. Every night I'd ride my bike through downtown listening to that tune, watching the city lights and people and feeling like I was in that weird alternate future space the song evokes.

Come to think of it, I just really loved all of Regions. Those early solo tours were incredible. I do wish more of Jims/Carls solo tunes made it into the setlists.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

MMJCOBRA

Great suggestions so far.

I'll throw out His Masters Voice as an option.

dookie shoot bandit

If we are including MoF as solo...
The Right Place
I love this song!

As far as Solo albums
Even though I am a part of the minority, and think the new album is overall (from start to finish) his best yet, and maybe once witnessed live I will change my thought process.
But...
I have to give my vote to A New Life
Song meant a lot personally when it first came out, love the arrangement, love it live solo, live solo acoustic, with MMJ, Jim's shimmy dance on stage, the Jimmy Fallon performance with the Roots. Just a fantastic song  :thumbsup:

gardenparty

its gotta be Here In Spirit

sillyboob

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Jul 12, 2018, 03:21 PM
The Right Place
I love this song!

As far as Solo albums
Even though I am a part of the minority, and think the new album is overall (from start to finish) his best yet, and maybe once witnessed live I will change my thought process.
But...
Song meant a lot personally when it first came out, love the arrangement, love it live solo, live solo acoustic, with MMJ, Jim's shimmy dance on stage, the Jimmy Fallon performance with the Roots. Just a fantastic song  :thumbsup:

Yes to all of this, DSB!! Especially the performance on Fallon with the Roots!!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

diddy57

No question for a 65-year-old man like me: Yes To Everything. It's frigging awesome. A goddamn anthem if I ever heard one. And poor Jim just turned 40! I hope to meet this man at Pico Union and tell him about what really comes next!

Nikkogino

Quote from: diddy57 on Jul 12, 2018, 08:24 PM
No question for a 65-year-old man like me: Yes To Everything. It's frigging awesome. A goddamn anthem if I ever heard one. And poor Jim just turned 40! I hope to meet this man at Pico Union and tell him about what really comes next!
Weirdly enough, a lot of people on here hate it.  It is definitely in my top 3 Jim solo songs for sure.  There is a 2 minute guitar solo for crying out loud!

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: sillyboob on Jul 12, 2018, 07:38 PM
Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Jul 12, 2018, 03:21 PM
The Right Place
I love this song!

As far as Solo albums
But...

Yes to all of this, DSB!! Especially the performance on Fallon with the Roots!!

Magical!!!

And Jimmy Fallon's reaction after is priceless

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: Nikkogino on Jul 12, 2018, 10:09 PM
Quote from: diddy57 on Jul 12, 2018, 08:24 PM
Weirdly enough, a lot of people on here hate it.  It is definitely in my top 3 Jim solo songs for sure.  There is a 2 minute guitar solo for crying out loud!

I literally can't believe the divide with this song?
This is definitely up there for me as well
First listen, I was smiling ear to ear with excitement  :cheesy:

MMJCOBRA

Yes to Everything is freaking incredible!  Definately my favorite solo JJ rocker. It's one gigantic rocking crescendo!

davymac

This is tough, but can't lie.  First song that comes to mind is actually No Secrets.  It's a monster jam & can't wait to hear it live

millerjustin

AEIOMFU will always be a standard top 3, but man, All in Your Head is such a banger - Ryan did a great job with the lights on the start/stop transitions while played at Rough Trade - reminiscent of AEIOU full sensory artistry - and then they played AEIOU during encore in this 4 piece + ladies format and it likewise killed.  So excited to see full band tour next year
What's in here won't disappear

slappymoe

was one of 50 lucky roll callers who got to see jim play regions for the first time, at the basement in nashville.

i remember one older guy, maybe 60-65ish.  very tall, right in the middle of the crowd, couldn't miss him head-bobbing intensely during know til now.  loved it the first time i heard it, and it's probably still my favorite jim song.

if mof counts, his master's voice is a close second.