New Carl Album

Started by jttouch2, Jul 30, 2018, 12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJTX

Quote from: oistheone on Sep 06, 2018, 02:21 PM
Words cannot describe my jealousy towards whoever snagged that guitar!

Get the boat!
Anytime

Mr. White

Quote from: MMJTX on Sep 06, 2018, 01:56 PM
https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/carl-broemel-wished-out

Has anyone checked out Carl's Pledge Music campaign for the new album, it's hilarious

You can get a signed crappy pontoon boat for a cool $150k
Can buy into a ping pong tournament with him
Can buy a concert in your living room!
And a skype session guitar lesson

I didn't even know about this until just now! I'll probably go for the signed vinyl and picks and T-shirt bundle.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Bulldog

Quote from: MMJTX on Sep 06, 2018, 01:56 PM
https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/carl-broemel-wished-out

Has anyone checked out Carl's Pledge Music campaign for the new album, it's hilarious

You can get a signed crappy pontoon boat for a cool $150k
Can buy into a ping pong tournament with him
Can buy a concert in your living room!
And a skype session guitar lesson

Awesome find this made my day !!!

millerjustin

so let's talk about the lyrics to wished out.....
What's in here won't disappear

Jbpats

Quote from: millerjustin on Sep 07, 2018, 09:06 AM

Let the conspiracy theories begin..

MMJ is not breaking up folks.

mancityzens

Quote from: Jbpats on Sep 07, 2018, 09:29 AM

That song is a tear jerker man....Its pretty hard to be optimistic at this point about Carl's frame of mind re:MMJ with Starting from Scratch and Wished Out lyrics (regardless of his and Jim's comments when SFS was released).  MMJ may not be breaking up, but it may not be the same lineup of band members next time around..... But maybe the significant time off will heal any/all wounds.

Come Closer

House concert is tempting. Get a few people to go in on it and it doesn't seem so pricey.

Jbpats

Quote from: mancityzens on Sep 07, 2018, 09:37 AM

That song is a tear jerker man....Its pretty hard to be optimistic at this point about Carl's frame of mind re:MMJ with Starting from Scratch and Wished Out lyrics (regardless of his and Jim's comments when SFS was released).  MMJ may not be breaking up, but it may not be the same lineup of band members next time around..... But maybe the significant time off will heal any/all wounds.

I dunno, I feel like announcing a break up or alluding to it through song is very popish/teenie bopper.
Just don't think that's how a band like MMJ would go about it.
I think they're just songs and people are losing it because the band took a break from a stale waterfall tour.

Carl toured with Ray, Bo had a once in a lifetime opportunity with roger waters. I think the band is just pursuing other opportunities until they're ready to get back at it.. Let's stop over speculating here.

Mr. White

Quote from: Jbpats on Sep 08, 2018, 09:08 AM

I dunno, I feel like announcing a break up or alluding to it through song is very popish/teenie bopper.
I think they're just songs and people are losing it because the band took a break from a stale waterfall tour.

Carl toured with Ray, Bo had a once in a lifetime opportunity with roger waters. I think the band is just pursuing other opportunities until they're ready to get back at it.. Let's stop over speculating here.

More than true. However, I don't think the Waterfall tour was bad.

Patrick is keeping busy with touring with Jake Shears along with other Louisville musicians and friends and doing other fun collaborations.

Tom and Bo helped out on Carl's new album.

Tom and Patrick got together to perform with Mickey Raphael at his induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Jim and Patrick's family members come out to Carl's Louisville shows to give him support (I've seen them there and talked to them).

These dudes are all friends, collaborators, musicians, and family together. They also know where their success and fame comes from, and that's from My Morning Jacket. It's good they can take breaks and do other projects. Their fan base will always be there for them, and they know that. They can play festivals, arenas, theaters, small clubs, or whatever they like. They have it made.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Jbpats

Quote from: Mr. White on Sep 09, 2018, 08:26 AM
Quote from: Jbpats on Sep 08, 2018, 09:08 AM

More than true. However, I don't think the Waterfall tour was bad.

Patrick is keeping busy with touring with Jake Shears along with other Louisville musicians and friends and doing other fun collaborations.

Tom and Bo helped out on Carl's new album.

Tom and Patrick got together to perform with Mickey Raphael at his induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Jim and Patrick's family members come out to Carl's Louisville shows to give him support (I've seen them there and talked to them).

These dudes are all friends, collaborators, musicians, and family together. They also know where their success and fame comes from, and that's from My Morning Jacket. It's good they can take breaks and do other projects. Their fan base will always be there for them, and they know that. They can play festivals, arenas, theaters, small clubs, or whatever they like. They have it made.

I absolutely loved the waterfall tour, my comment was more based on it being a multi year tour, after a while a band has to give up touring on an album especially if it is a few years old.

walterfredo

I respectfully disagree with the statement above. Not every tour has to be in some way associated with an album. That seems a bit like the old school way of doing things. Lots of bands in today's music industry climate  (the good ones!) make their names on touring not releasing albums. I have no problem with mmj taking an extended break, but you don't need a new album to go on tour.

Varitek

Quote from: walterfredo on Sep 09, 2018, 05:26 PM
I respectfully disagree with the statement above. Not every tour has to be in some way associated with an album. That seems a bit like the old school way of doing things. Lots of bands in today's music industry climate  (the good ones!) make their names on touring not releasing albums. I have no problem with mmj taking an extended break, but you don't need a new album to go on tour.

+1
"Did he just put on a cape?"

Jbpats

Quote from: walterfredo on Sep 09, 2018, 05:26 PM

Yes, but they toured the waterfall non-stop for two years. I agree with your statement but at the end of the day that's what the band was touring pre-break.
I mean even the bands website is still waterfall themed to this day.

dookie shoot bandit

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off

ChiefOKONO

Thanks, that is a cool song.

dogwoody

I just think on their next album, (which will absolutely happen within the next two years) has some pedal steel and omnichord on it!

But seriously, anyone who thinks they're "angry" at each other is just trying to create drama and I know they all love each other. No band ever has made great album after great album year after year. I'm all for whatever break they take to make themselves happy.

millerjustin

Quote from: dogwoody on Sep 11, 2018, 08:22 PM
I just think on their next album, (which will absolutely happen within the next two years) has some pedal steel and omnichord on it!

But seriously, anyone who thinks they're "angry" at each other is just trying to create drama and I know they all love each other. No band ever has made great album after great album year after year. I'm all for whatever break they take to make themselves happy.

totally agree & no intention to stir the pot.  keeping in mind that albums are mostly released about a year after initial studio and production, so the lyrics may reflect sentiment from early 2017 as opposed to the "right now".  Maybe what we're seeing in UD and WO are thought streams from early last year that led up to the notion of a hiatus and need for artistic and personal breathing room.  All in all, I'm not concerned about a break up as much as I'm just thirsty for a glimpse of when they'll emerge....
What's in here won't disappear

parkervb

my meme was completely in jest, i know you're not that type.
Don't you ever turn it off

Hoptimus Prime

Quotes from an interview with Carl in the Poughkeepsie Journal:

#1 -
"The aura of your larger project is always hovering around you," he said of My Morning Jacket.

He added, "I'm a musician and I've always been a musician and I've always written songs. If I'm honest with myself, I am probably a more adept band member and not so much a front man. And that's fine. I'm really super comfortable in that space. I know what I'm doing and I have a lot of experience doing that."

Speaking of his solo work, Broemel said, "This is the scariest thing I do. It's a personal challenge."

#2 -
Broemel will be on the road promoting "Wished Out" through November. So what's in store for My Morning Jacket?

"Nothing concrete," he said. "We're on a break. It feels like we're going to rally the troops at some point."
5/24/2003, and every damn time possible since!