DANGER! - Political Thread

Started by headhunter, Sep 06, 2012, 08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millerjustin

Quote from: johnnYYac on Oct 12, 2017, 04:06 PM
The thing is, I've always liked MMJ_fanatic as a Jacket fan and Forum pal. He's a fellow New Englander and I'm pretty sure we've met before. We can still use our shared love of MMJ as the basis of a friendship, despite disagreeing about politics.

Still, this is a My Morning Jacket fan forum, and the band is politically active. Having one thread to contain political discussions and debate seems reasonable.

One thing I've learned is that even liberals need to get out of their bubble, try to coax conservatives out of theirs, and have a dialog to find common ground. I don't believe the mainstream media is "fake", but we should free ourselves from 24 hour "Breaking News" and listen to each other... with love and respect.

AMEN John!  thx for the reminder - I wasn't being the person Jim knows I can be lol
What's in here won't disappear

walterfredo

Most of us believe that this is wrong.

walterfredo

Well done Alabama! It appears only 49% of you want a pedophile...who thinks homosexuality should be a crime, and Muslims should be banned from the govt, and that all the amendments after the 10th should be repealed...representing you. Impressive.

MMJ_fanatic

Quote from: millerjustin on Oct 12, 2017, 12:41 PM
Quote from: MMJ_fanatic on Oct 11, 2017, 03:12 PM
Quote from: millerjustin on Oct 11, 2017, 10:17 AM
Quote from: MMJ_fanatic on Oct 10, 2017, 03:50 PM
Quote from: millerjustin on Oct 10, 2017, 01:21 PM

And there's nothing any President can do to change the economy in 9 months,

I'm not going to get sucked into this any further, man - I just feel sad that you're somehow inclined to defend Trump - and how this squares with being a fan of Jim James baffles me.

I live in Albany - feel free to stop by any time and we can finish this discussion in person.

Again you're just flat wrongg--all of the policy changes he's brought, taking the handcuffs of industry has done nothing if not build the consumer confidence and drive these market surges--my 401k is a testimony. 
As far as where you live--I could give a shit.  I live in Oxford MA whoo hoo come get me snowflake

The whole point about fandom was you all attacking me for having my own opinions, that don't necessarily line up with Jim James and "How can you possibly be a fan".....well that's a bullshit attack as big as any liberal bullshit attacke I've ever heard.  Try read back in the thread before attacking to maybe see where I was trying to persuade the staff here to avoid political threads as so many of the other forums I visit do, so we can focus on the band, their greatness, and wonder of good music
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

MMJ_fanatic

Quote from: MMJ_fanatic on Oct 11, 2017, 03:23 PM

Sorry but all these posts insinuating that fans of the band who hold the same views politically as the band does are somehow magically superior to those who have differing opinions is just ridiculous and specious.  The point of this site (used to be) celebrating the greatness of this magical group and it worked.  Somewhere the site decided to let this type of thread in and that the majority of forums ban:  political threads.  Nuff said let's all get back to MMJ love

Here's just a reminder

walterfredo

if you're happy with the current state of our economy, and the health of your 401K, you can thank the Obama administration.

Trump inherited a healthy, strong economy surging upward. Just like Obama inherited an economy in shambles which had nothing to do with him and everything to do with the previous administration. Of course Trump likes to take credit for it. He likes to take all credit for the good things, and blame the past administration for all the not-so-good things.

Anyhow, we should be thankful for the previous administration for the current health of our economy.

MMJ_fanatic

Quote from: walterfredo on Jan 22, 2018, 08:34 PM
if you're happy with the current state of our economy, and the health of your 401K, you can thank the Obama administration.

Trump inherited a healthy, strong economy surging upward. Just like Obama inherited an economy in shambles which had nothing to do with him and everything to do with the previous administration. Of course Trump likes to take credit for it. He likes to take all credit for the good things, and blame the past administration for all the not-so-good things.

Anyhow, we should be thankful for the previous administration for the current health of our economy.

INCORRECT  All the executive orders and industry restricitions Obummer put in place was choking off industry.  With the measures President Trump has taken the markets are feeling more confident about Ameircan industry now that companies are bringing jobs back to the states period, but by all means fantasize that the community organizer who's never run a business magically fixed the economy by choking  off industry with regulation good luck.  P.S.--remember Hillary saying she was going to kill coal jobs, well Guess what?  PRESIDENT Trump prevented that and is even hading their keys back to them so thay can run full throttle.

walterfredo

Why I even responded, I do not know. Clearly you know better than the majority of respected economists.

Let me guess, all these scientists are wrong about climate change too?

parkervb

Quote from: MMJ_fanatic on Jan 23, 2018, 06:57 AM

INCORRECT  All the executive orders and industry restricitions Obummer put in place was choking off industry.  With the measures President Trump has taken the markets are feeling more confident about Ameircan industry now that companies are bringing jobs back to the states period, but by all means fantasize that the community organizer who's never run a business magically fixed the economy by choking  off industry with regulation good luck.  P.S.--remember Hillary saying she was going to kill coal jobs, well Guess what?  PRESIDENT Trump prevented that and is even hading their keys back to them so thay can run full throttle.

just so we're clear on coal....it's added 2k jobs this year.

The total jobs is about 53k so even at full throttle they won't even keep pace with the legal cannabis industry at 121k jobs (that just so happens is being threatened under the Trump Admin).

Natural gas killed coal, not Obama. But you're not trying to hear that are you?
Don't you ever turn it off

APR

Quote from: parkervb on Oct 08, 2018, 10:19 AM
Quote from: MMJ_fanatic on Jan 23, 2018, 06:57 AM

just so we're clear on coal....it's added 2k jobs this year.

The total jobs is about 53k so even at full throttle they won't even keep pace with the legal cannabis industry at 121k jobs (that just so happens is being threatened under the Trump Admin).

Natural gas killed coal, not Obama. But you're not trying to hear that are you?

Would be future coal miners will live a longer, healthier lives by simply not working in the mines when demand dwindles naturally.  The market and the world (like most of  Europe already) will drift away from coal naturally and eventually just because technology that isn't a century old will be cheaper and healthier for the workers and the rest of society.  Will a political party artificially boost pay phone booth building contractors and VHS tape suppliers to save those jobs too?

walterfredo

I lived in Chico for many years, and my old roommate and very good friend lost his home in Paradise. This fire has really hit home for me as I have strong ties to the area. How anyone can make something so devastating and deadly into a political shitshow is truly beyond me. Rake  the forest? Way to go genius. Brilliant.

And really, this????

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2018/nov/19/pleasure-what-a-name-trump-confused-over-fire-hit-town-paradise-video

Is there a bigger complete fuck-wad on this entire earth?

sillyboob

Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

walterfredo

Holy shit! He tweeted today suggesting a state-run media network. This just insane. And f'n terrifying.

sillyboob

Quote from: walterfredo on Nov 26, 2018, 09:45 PM
Holy shit! He tweeted today suggesting a state-run media network. This just insane. And f'n terrifying.

Ministry of Truth
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

iLikeBeer

Holy shit! He tweeted today suggesting a state-run media network. This just insane. And f’n terrifying.
Holy shit! He tweeted today suggesting a state-run media network. This just insane. And f’n terrifying.
No wonder this dipshit seems to get along so well with Kim Jong il?!?!

walterfredo

I think the citizens of this country have slowly become desensitized to the actions of this administration. It's all becoming normalized, scary shit. And the GOP turns a blind eye and pretend it's all normal.

Crispy

Quote from: walterfredo on Sep 26, 2019, 11:23 AMI think the citizens of this country have slowly become desensitized to the actions of this administration. It's all becoming normalized, scary shit. And the GOP turns a blind eye and pretend it's all normal.

I disagree a bit about being desensitized -- I think half of us have become more and more disgusted by this administration's actions as they've gone on, but also more frustrated by the inability to make it better immediately. As for the other half, the GOP is so overly pleased about having their people in power that they happily excuse, if not promote, their president's ability (so far) to skirt the rules. I don't think they necessarily believe it's the new normal, but are just riding that wave and hoping it lasts forever. However, I believe those days are finally starting to come to an end, and many rats will begin jumping from that treasonous sinking ship. As for rats like Giuliani, Graham, McConnell, etc., I hope they go all the way down with it.

Of course, I'm just talking about people who are paying attention to current events -- as I think you suggest, the general citizenry mostly doesn't give a fuck.
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

walterfredo

ericm

Quote from: Crispy on Sep 26, 2019, 12:07 PM
Quote from: walterfredo on Sep 26, 2019, 11:23 AMI think the citizens of this country have slowly become desensitized to the actions of this administration. It's all becoming normalized, scary shit. And the GOP turns a blind eye and pretend it's all normal.

I disagree a bit about being desensitized -- I think half of us have become more and more disgusted by this administration's actions as they've gone on, but also more frustrated by the inability to make it better immediately. As for the other half, the GOP is so overly pleased about having their people in power that they happily excuse, if not promote, their president's ability (so far) to skirt the rules. I don't think they necessarily believe it's the new normal, but are just riding that wave and hoping it lasts forever. However, I believe those days are finally starting to come to an end, and many rats will begin jumping from that treasonous sinking ship. As for rats like Giuliani, Graham, McConnell, etc., I hope they go all the way down with it.

Of course, I'm just talking about people who are paying attention to current events -- as I think you suggest, the general citizenry mostly doesn't give a fuck.

Well said my friend, well said.

I can't even find the right words to describe my disappointment in Giuliani.

I grew up in the city and saw the worst of it and the great job he did in cleaning it up. Especially the Midtown/Times Square area. I remember being propositioned so many times walking around there even with my family in tow. It was to the point I wouldn't take them and barely felt safe myself but he drastically changed all of that.

To go from someone who I was proud of the job he did to the unhinged despicable man he is now is just mind boggling to me. So much so I question was he always like this but hid it and I missed something along the way years ago or has he just gone off the deep end?

Disappointed in him is a huge understatement.
"Where's Jim going?"