20th Anniversary of Tennessee Fire

Started by rkwedge, Aug 27, 2018, 06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APR

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Jan 09, 2019, 10:59 AM
Optimistic prediction...they want to release the live album too, and it'd make more sense to release that first to promote the "tour." Then release TTF and play a bunch of those tunes at red rocks to promote that and celebrate the anniversary.

More likely prediction: both albums scrapped, tour cancelled, Jim solo album announced.

You're thinking an additional Jim solo album?

One of the 2019 "tour" announcements hinted about playing old songs, but I don't know the direct quote.  It was from their twitter feed.   That has got to be even more likely now that TT release date is pushed back.   It Still Moves reissue came out just prior to the Red Rocks 216 shows, and while they played a ton from that album, they skipped Rollin' Back, which continues to irk me as I have yet to see that one live.

jttouch2

Quote from: APR on Jan 09, 2019, 06:50 PM
Optimistic prediction...they want to release the live album too, and it'd make more sense to release that first to promote the "tour." Then release TTF and play a bunch of those tunes at red rocks to promote that and celebrate the anniversary.

More likely prediction: both albums scrapped, tour cancelled, Jim solo album announced.

One of the 2019 "tour" announcements hinted about playing old songs, but I don't know the direct quote.  It was from their twitter feed.   That has got to be even more likely now that TT release date is pushed back.   It Still Moves reissue came out just prior to the Red Rocks 216 shows, and while they played a ton from that album, they skipped Rollin' Back, which continues to irk me as I have yet to see that one live.

It said "can't wait to get back on the road next summer and dig deep into the catalog." I hope they play most of TTF (if not all), but I feel like with there only being three shows that spending one show on TTF in full wouldn't feel great-would much rather them mix the songs throughout the two nights.

RobRoy286

I was being sarcastic but sadly I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

jttouch2

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Jan 10, 2019, 09:12 AM

I was being sarcastic but sadly I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

There's still that recorded suite of music with the Louisville Orchestra that was promised a release

sillyboob

Quote from: jttouch2 on Jan 10, 2019, 12:16 AM

It said "can't wait to get back on the road next summer and dig deep into the catalog." I hope they play most of TTF (if not all), but I feel like with there only being three shows that spending one show on TTF in full wouldn't feel great-would much rather them mix the songs throughout the two nights.

With the timing of the shows being now related to TFF's re-release, I'd expect Red Rocks to get the whole album played across the two nights (not in a row, but all songs played over two nights), with Forest Hills getting a TFF-heavy greatest hits type setlist.  Just my prediction here.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

APR

Quote from: sillyboob on Jan 10, 2019, 02:59 PM

With the timing of the shows being now related to TFF's re-release, I'd expect Red Rocks to get the whole album played across the two nights (not in a row, but all songs played over two nights), with Forest Hills getting a TFF-heavy greatest hits type setlist.  Just my prediction here.

I like that prediction.  Another insane Picture of You would be perfection.  That 2016 version from RR was one of the greatest things I have ever heard in person. 

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: APR on Jan 10, 2019, 06:34 PM

I like that prediction.  Another insane Picture of You would be perfection.  That 2016 version from RR was one of the greatest things I have ever heard in person. 

I will be on board with this.

My white whale is "By My Car" and this might be the only feasible shot, with the TFF Anniversary...Pleeeaaase!

RobRoy286

Quote from: APR on Jan 10, 2019, 06:34 PM

Possibly the greatest jam I've ever heard.

hoojack

I ordered mine from bull moose and they still have the release date as 2/14. Here's to hoping :beer:

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: hoojack on Jan 15, 2019, 02:38 PM
I ordered mine from bull moose and they still have the release date as 2/14. Here's to hoping :beer:

I will keep my fingers crossed 🤞🏼.
Some sites still say 2/14 (target/Walmart/amazon/bull moose)
Others say 8/2 (darla/Best Buy/merch bar/pop market/deep discount)

Most likely the few sites have not been updated, but I sure as shit hope it still gets that earlier release date!

searchinbig

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Jan 15, 2019, 04:02 PM
Quote from: hoojack on Jan 15, 2019, 02:38 PM

I will keep my fingers crossed 🤞🏼.
Some sites still say 2/14 (target/Walmart/amazon/bull moose)
Others say 8/2 (darla/Best Buy/merch bar/pop market/deep discount)

Most likely the few sites have not been updated, but I sure as shit hope it still gets that earlier release date!

Kinda doubt these other sites will have the release date right since Darla is pressing the record, I would assume. I get these pre orders are so the fans can finance the project to a certain extent, but I feel to hold on to our money for a year is kind of bullshit. If these places do hold the original release date I surely will cancel with Darla and order elsewhere.
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

Stevie

The 2/14 date is interesting.  Jim originally sent Darla his Tennessee Fire demo tape packaged as a valentine to make it stand out. 

sillyboob

Quote from: Stevie on Jan 16, 2019, 05:11 AM
The 2/14 date is interesting.  Jim originally sent Darla his Tennessee Fire demo tape packaged as a valentine to make it stand out. 

That is a great bit of music trivia.  Awesome!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

davymac

Man this is kinda wack.  I preordered the album at the end of August 2018.  Now we gotta wait a year from when I originally preordered?  I'm moving in a month, I hope Darla will let me update my shipping address!

End rant.

Stevie

Terrible news...  It was going to be perfect.  The Tennessee Fire would arrive in the dead of Wisconsin winter to rekindle my love of MMY and vinyl in general.  I guess i'll just stick with listening to podcasts at work and be a soulless robot. 

Mr. White

Hadn't commented on this yet, but I don't like it being delayed this long. Kind of makes me mad.

In other news, I ran into Danny Cash a couple of nights ago, and he shared some of the new "liner notes" he had on his phone. I was at a benefit show for the Salvation Army and a couple of other local Louisville charities at Headliners (it was called "I Heart Heart" and was a tribute to the band Heart featuring lots of Louisville musicians). After the show, I went over to say a few words to Cheyenne Mize and saw Danny Cash standing behind her. I had previously met him when he was part of her band for the one-time-only collaboration for the Louisville Rock Lottery back in Jan. of 2017. I spoke with him for a while about all sorts of things, and while we were talking, he said he had something I might be interested in on his phone about The Tennessee Fire 20th Anniversary re-issue. He had images (that I guess Jim shared with him) of Jim's handwritten notes regarding the way the songs should be constructed and should appear on the album. There was even an original Jim doodle. He said it was all going into the Deluxe Anniversary re-issue of the album. It was pretty cool getting an early glimpse at stuff like that.

For those not remembering or who never knew, Danny Cash was the original keyboard player for MMJ and was with the band until he and Johnny McQuade quit after It Still Moves came out (tired of the relentless touring that Jim and the rest of the band were determined to continue, if I remember right). He's now part of a new local band called Hawks. He plays guitar in this band. They have a song on this year's new Louisville Is For Lovers album that had just been released earlier that day. His band and another one played quick sets at the WFPK Live Lunch earier in the day to hype the release. I didn't get to go, but I had my Louisville Is For Lovers shirt on because it was release day, and I went to Guestroom Records to get the Deluxe Double CD release of it right before the show at Headliners. John King is behind the project and is an awesome dude (also works at Guestroom Records now).

Also, I got a picture of us together, since I had failed to do that the first time I met him.

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

subinai

Awesome insight! Thanks for sharing!

Come Closer

Not super on topic and sorry if this is a newb question, but is it just a coincidence that there's a band called The Silos who have a song called Tennessee Fire and the name of MMJ's debut/where they recorded it?

ChiefOKONO

Great story, thank you for sharing!!

adam_pliskow

that song is from 1987.  i would assume that is just coincidence.