Where to Begin Appreciation!

Started by ChiefOKONO, Jan 30, 2019, 12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiefOKONO

Just re-listened to this one live for the first time in a while, and it still blows me away.  What a beautiful song!!!

So does anyone recall if Jim ever talked about this one in interviews? 

APR

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Jan 30, 2019, 12:39 PM
Just re-listened to this one live for the first time in a while, and it still blows me away.  What a beautiful song!!!

So does anyone recall if Jim ever talked about this one in interviews? 

I totally agree.  The lyrics are amazing too.  One of my favorite songs.  I don't know of any interviews where this song was discussed.  I never saw Elizabethtown, but I guess it could be based on that story or on one of the main characters?

rkwedge

Love that song to. I remember Nancy Wilson of Heart was in charge of the music and asked MMJ to do a song or two for the movie. It's a little sketchy in my mind now. Here's a little reading about the boys and the movie.
http://www.mtv.com/news/1507284/cameron-crowe-requests-my-morning-jacket-freebird-for-film/
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

gardenparty

One of My Favorites. 
Really wish there was a studio recording on Spotify so i could add to my giant MMJ playlist. 

Also wish the Universe was available on there

ChiefOKONO

Thanks everyone.  Yeah i have no idea wtf the studio version is not available on the itunes store either.  Even when i searched for the Elizabethtown soundtrack there were only 2 songs available ?!?!?  freakin' digital stores!!

p.s. has anyone heard the full recording of the MMJ Freebird?

rkwedge

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Jan 30, 2019, 05:47 PM
Thanks everyone.  Yeah i have no idea wtf the studio version is not available on the itunes store either.  Even when i searched for the Elizabethtown soundtrack there were only 2 songs available ?!?!?  freakin' digital stores!!

p.s. has anyone heard the full recording of the MMJ Freebird?
I'll take a look tonight, I might have the CD of the soundtrack.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

millerjustin

the Port Chester recordings (available on Nugs.net) have an excellent live version of Where to Begin (and there's an AWESOME video on Youtube that has soundboard audio - search dillsnufus)

What's in here won't disappear

APR

Quote from: millerjustin on Jan 31, 2019, 09:23 AM
the Port Chester recordings (available on Nugs.net) have an excellent live version of Where to Begin (and there's an AWESOME video on Youtube that has soundboard audio - search dillsnufus)

This song followed by Masterplan and then O Is the One at PC night 3 is one of my favorite back to back to back songs/performances I have ever seen.  I listen to that particular three song stretch more than most of my MMJ boots.  Definitely check that out on Nugs if anyone hasn't yet.  It's amazing.

Murph

Quote from: APR on Jan 31, 2019, 10:57 AM

This song followed by Masterplan and then O Is the One at PC night 3 is one of my favorite back to back to back songs/performances I have ever seen.  I listen to that particular three song stretch more than most of my MMJ boots.  Definitely check that out on Nugs if anyone hasn't yet.  It's amazing.

PC Night 3 will probably always be my favorite MMJ show.  'Moving Away' (easily their worst song imo) to close out the first set might look strange on paper, but it was a perfect pee/beer break. 

ChiefOKONO

Thanks for letting me know... I never heard the port chester show and I'm going to have to check it out now :)

Mr. White

http://nugs.net/browse/music/8831/My-Morning-Jacket-mp3-flac-download-12-29-2012-The-Capitol-Theatre-Port-Chester-NY

Where To Begin - Port Chester - 12/29/2012

Master Plan - Port Chester - Night 3 - 12/29/2012

O Is The One That Is Real - Port Chester - 12/29/2012

Quote from: APR on Jan 31, 2019, 10:57 AM

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

ericm

Such a great song, and well deserving of it's own thread.  :thumbsup:

I've seen some fantastic performances of this one but unfortunately haven't been able to hear two them again. Chicago 15 night three was inexplicably dropped from the broadcast and the other was night two at the Beacon.

I'm still holding out hope we'll get the Beacon shows someday. I thought for sure the "no recordings allowed" meant there was something in the works from the band for that run. Fingers crossed something surfaces someday.  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

parkervb

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Jan 31, 2019, 12:20 PM
Thanks for letting me know... I never heard the port chester show and I'm going to have to check it out now :)

what a blessing you have to be able to hear the Cap shows for the first time. This is my highlight from Night 3 where I was about 10 people back on Carl's side (this is fresh off the heels of War Begun->Sing you Songs):

Don't you ever turn it off

sillyboob

Quote from: parkervb on Jan 31, 2019, 02:28 PM
Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Jan 31, 2019, 12:20 PM

what a blessing you have to be able to hear the Cap shows for the first time. This is my highlight from Night 3 where I was about 10 people back on Carl's side (this is fresh off the heels of War Begun->Sing you Songs):

It took me 8 shows to finally hear 'I Will Sing You Songs' live, at OBH4, 'War Begun' into 'IWSYS'.  So worth it!!  If only that was followed by 'Where To Begin'!!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Jackets N Pones

Love this one, the only version I ever had was off the Acoustic Chorale DVD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Wpx99Imq8

Speaking of Elizabethtown, I forgot how great the Same in Any Language cover is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPhjBkIj8A0
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

DayDrinkin

Love WTB from Red Rocks 2012 Night 2

Woody

Quote from: DayDrinkin on Mar 04, 2019, 03:33 PMLove WTB from Red Rocks 2012 Night 2

Great version from one of my favorite shows of all time. God I wish they would bust out Same in Any Language, what a tune!