Strand of Oaks/MMJ album

Started by Nikkogino, Jan 26, 2019, 07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikkogino

I know there is a thread about the new Strand of Oaks album in the other music thread, but in case some of you aren't aware, the new Strand of Oaks album features Tom, Carl, Pat, and Bo as the backing band.  This is a perfect combination of talent in my opinion, and this is the next best thing to a new MMJ album. The MMJ sound oozes out of this one and sounds like Steam Engine's distant cousin.  Can't wait to hear a true MMJ album, but until then, this will definitely do!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxn9iL3Bd-M

ChiefOKONO

Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely have to check this one out!!!

Jackets N Pones

Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

HardNightConformist

Man, do I ever wish Forever Chords was a MMJ song - Jim could've elevated this to another level and it could be a live show fixture that I could see extending beyond the 9 mins.

Jackets N Pones

Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

Nikkogino

https://www.stereogum.com/2036496/strand-of-oaks-eraserland-tim-showalter-song-meanings/franchises/interview/

Excellent article for MMJ fans.  I loved the part where he talks about recording the one solo acoustic track and unknowingly was playing Jim's old acoustic guitar, and therefore brought Jim onto the record in a way.  This album is definitely part of MMJ lore now.  I also loved the part where he talks about messing up a part after the MMJ members nailed it and feeling inadequate compared to Jim.  No one is Jim...but Tim put together an excellent record here.

Varitek

I've listened to this album 7 or 8 times since yesterday and it just keeps getting better to these ears of mine...
"Did he just put on a cape?"

Nikkogino

Quote from: Varitek on Mar 24, 2019, 01:37 AMI've listened to this album 7 or 8 times since yesterday and it just keeps getting better to these ears of mine...
So good.  Too bad this forum is dead...tons of MMJ talk to be had about this album.

RobRoy286

Quote from: Nikkogino on Mar 24, 2019, 09:34 AM
Quote from: Varitek on Mar 24, 2019, 01:37 AMI've listened to this album 7 or 8 times since yesterday and it just keeps getting better to these ears of mine...
So good.  Too bad this forum is dead...tons of MMJ talk to be had about this album.
Sorry but it just ain't MMJ without Jim. This actually seems real discouraging to me. More proof that everyone except Jim is down to play together. The guys create some great music, but it sucks that they're working with a different frontman while Jim is in la-la land. I hate to be a downer, this just doesn't strike me as MMJ talk.

Nikkogino

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Mar 24, 2019, 10:36 AM
Quote from: Nikkogino on Mar 24, 2019, 09:34 AM
Sorry but it just ain't MMJ without Jim. This actually seems real discouraging to me. More proof that everyone except Jim is down to play together. The guys create some great music, but it sucks that they're working with a different frontman while Jim is in la-la land. I hate to be a downer, this just doesn't strike me as MMJ talk.

It's obviously not MMJ without Jim, but the band is excellent here, and so is Tim.  4 of 5 members recording music in their home studio is definitely MMJ talk.
MMJ will get back together and it will be excellent.  I'd rather the guys make awesome music than sit on their hands waiting for Jim to come off his solo kick. 

rincon2

I have only heard the first song. It really reminded me of Israel Nash, who often sounds like a cross between Neil's Harvest, and ISM. Kind of a trip finding out the backing band is the same one Roger Waters once used at Newport.

sillyboob

Just a heads up for those looking to buy it as a download - Amazon has it for $9.49 with the bonus track Cruel Fisherman (17 minutes long!), Bandcamp has it for $10 and it doesn't have the bonus track.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

MOWJO8185

Quote from: sillyboob on Mar 25, 2019, 12:08 PMJust a heads up for those looking to buy it as a download - Amazon has it for $9.49 with the bonus track Cruel Fisherman (17 minutes long!), Bandcamp has it for $10 and it doesn't have the bonus track.

For as much as I like the album - and I liked it a LOT - Cruel Fisherman is nonsense. Droning abstract sound for 17 minutes. I'll be listening to the album without the bonus track.

sillyboob

Quote from: MOWJO8185 on Mar 25, 2019, 12:43 PM
Quote from: sillyboob on Mar 25, 2019, 12:08 PMJust a heads up for those looking to buy it as a download - Amazon has it for $9.49 with the bonus track Cruel Fisherman (17 minutes long!), Bandcamp has it for $10 and it doesn't have the bonus track.

For as much as I like the album - and I liked it a LOT - Cruel Fisherman is nonsense. Droning abstract sound for 17 minutes. I'll be listening to the album without the bonus track.

Funny thing - I love that sort of noise track.  Probably because having some sort of background noise helps out tremendously with my tinnitus. 

MOWJO8185

Quote from: sillyboob on Mar 25, 2019, 01:43 PM

Funny thing - I love that sort of noise track.  Probably because having some sort of background noise helps out tremendously with my tinnitus. 

There was a time in my life I thought stuff like that was cool. I just don't have the patience for it anymore. At least it is its own track at the end of the album and it can just be lopped off, as opposed to being the last 12 minutes of a track that starts as a song and then has another song after it (looking at you, Wilco's Less Than You Think).

sillyboob

Quote from: MOWJO8185 on Mar 25, 2019, 02:13 PM
Quote from: sillyboob on Mar 25, 2019, 01:43 PM

There was a time in my life I thought stuff like that was cool. I just don't have the patience for it anymore. At least it is its own track at the end of the album and it can just be lopped off, as opposed to being the last 12 minutes of a track that starts as a song and then has another song after it (looking at you, Wilco's Less Than You Think).

Definitely prefer having it as a separate track.  And yes, I was also thinking of Less Than You Think.

parkervb

I think what we're seeing is that the band is just waiting on Jim.
Don't you ever turn it off

RobRoy286

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 26, 2019, 10:03 AMI think what we're seeing is that the band is just waiting on Jim.
Yup :/

Nikkogino

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 26, 2019, 10:03 AMI think what we're seeing is that the band is just waiting on Jim.
Or a band helping their friend make an awesome album.

parkervb

Quote from: Nikkogino on Mar 26, 2019, 08:06 PM
Or a band helping their friend make an awesome album.
for sure & this seems different than when they backed Ray. My point of view comes from the fact the rest of the band (not just 1-2 guys) has now recorded two albums with other singers so its not like they aren't available.
Don't you ever turn it off