Pine Mountain Sessions - Songs by Jim, Carl, Johnny Quaid & Many, Many Others

Started by Mr. White, Apr 05, 2019, 10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. White

Daniel Martin Moore has started an Indiegogo Fundraising Account for Pine Mountain Sessions - A double album featuring new recordings of some of Kentucky's finest musicians & writers.

Introducing the Pine Mountain Sessions! 44 musicians & writers from all across Kentucky, 2+ years in the making, and I'm so excited to finally be able to share this with ye. I produced this album, and it was a JOY to get to work with all of these generous and skilled artists. Couldn't be prouder of what we made. Take a look, and please support this project by ordering your copy today! LINK IN BIO. Proceeds benefit @kywildlands & @pinemountainsettlementschool.

(This was what Daniel posted to his Instagram account today - 4/5/2019 https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv4ubNCB36O/ )

Featuring Jim James, bell hooks, Rachel Grimes, Joan Shelley, Silas House, Wendell Berry, Ada Limón, Maiden Radio, Teddy Abrams, Carl Broemel, The Other Years, Nathan Salsburg, Brian Schreck Music Therapy, Joe Manning, Daniel Martin Moore, Sarah Teeple, George Ella Lyon, Marianne Worthington, Warren Byrom & Fabled Canelands, Mary Ann Taylor-Hall, Rebecca Gayle Howell, Ansel Elkins, The Savage Radley, Ben Sollee, Catherine Irwin, So It Was, Maurice Manning, Erik Reece, Bobbie Ann Mason, Katie Toupin, Mark Charles Heidinger of Vandaveer, Brett Ratliff, Lydia Burrell, Lacey Guthrie of Twin Limb and Drew Sellers, The Local Honeys, Eric Scott Sutherland, Jason Howard, Writer, Cheyenne Mize, Jeremy Pinnell, The Ravenna Colt, Heather Summers, Anna Krippenstapel, Robert Gipe, Richard Lawrence Taylor Lily Lyons

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pine-mountain-sessions/x/20670013#/

Overview
A double album featuring new recordings from some of Kentucky's finest musicians & writers that benefits Kentucky Natural Lands Trust & Pine Mountain Settlement School.  All of these recordings are never-before-heard, and almost all of the songs & poems being presented here are previously unreleased.
Pine Mountain Sessions
In a few recording sessions scattered over the autumn & winter & spring of 2017 & 2018, musicians and writers from all across Kentucky gathered on the slopes of Pine Mountain in Harlan County.  These four sides that follow the seasons were recorded in a near-century-old chapel with the aim of connecting us all to the important work of the Kentucky Natural Lands Trust and the Pine Mountain Settlement School.

Here are the artists & songs on the Double LP & CD:

SIDE A - Summer
Maiden Radio - Dawn Chorus
Carl Broemel - Moonbeam
George Ella Lyon - Meadow
The Other Years - Chapel on Pine Mountain
Marianne Worthington - Bounty
Nathan Salsburg - Ruby's Freilach / Low Spirits

SIDE B - Autumn
Wendell Berry - The Wild Geese
Brian Schreck - Abscission
Joe Manning with Glen Detinger - Amigo
Mary Ann Taylor-Hall - Eternity
Daniel Martin Moore - Never Look Away
bell hooks & Rachel Grimes - Kentucky is my Fate

SIDE C - Winter
Warren Byrom - Black Mountain Dogs
Rebecca Gayle Howell - My Mother Told Us
Jim James - Walking in the Snow
Ansel Elkins - Hunter's Moon
The Savage Radley - Red Bird Morning
Teddy Abrams - Improv on Pine Mountain

Side D - Spring
Joan Shelley - Awake
Silas House - Easter 1954
Ben Sollee - Appalachian Chant #1
Ada Limón - On a Pink Moon
Catherine Irwin - Sugar Cubes & Glue
So It Was - One Foot at Once
Maurice Manning - Birds Arriving in Dim Light

And the digital version contains these additional artists & works:

Erik Reece - Dead Letter to Li Po
Bobbie Ann Mason - Pine Mountain
Katie Toupin - Lover Tonight
Mark Charles Heidinger - Status Quo
Brett Ratliff - '31 Depression Blues
Lydia Burrell - Hey Idiot
Lacey Guthrie & Drew Sellers - Better Stairs
The Local Honeys - Cigarette Trees
Cheyenne Mize - Easier
Eric Scott Sutherland - Pine Mountain (A Work In Progress)
Maiden Radio - Far From the Ohio
Jason Howard - Headwaters
Jeremy Pinnell - It's OK Dear
The Ravenna Colt - Pine Mtn. Echo
Heather Summers - Red Tailed Hawk
Anna Krippenstaple - You Left Me (When I Left Kentucky)
Robert Gipe - Trampoline
Richard Taylor - Wild Turkeys
Lily Lyons - Ladybird

BONUS TRACKS only available when ordering directly from us:

Wendell Berry - The Peace of Wild Things
Ansel Elkins - Autobiography of Eve
Mary Ann Taylor-Hall - Pine Mountain
Rebecca Gayle Howell - How to Preserve
Marianne Worthington - Full Corn Moon
Richard Taylor - The Origins of Dust
Wendell Berry - Over the Edge
Album Credits:
Produced, Recorded, and Mixed by Daniel Martin Moore
Mastered by Mike Montgomery
Additional Recording by Ada Limón, Justin Golden, Brian Schreck, Keith Semmel, Jim James, and Steve Lyon
Layout by James Shambhu & Mathilde Barthe
Art Direction & Photos by DMM
Mountaintop Photo by Greg Abernathy
LP Center Labels by Zoé Strecker

What We Need & What You Get:
Funds raised here will go to cover the costs of making the album (the LPs, CDs, Posters, etc.)
There's the LP, the CD, the digital album, and beautiful posters & original artwork. And a hike though the wilds lead by KNLT staff !
All funds raised beyond the costs for the album will go directly to KNLT & PMSS.

The Organizations:
Kentucky Natural Lands Trust is working to protect, connect, and restore wildlands throughout the Commonwealth. Initially founded by a group of friends in 1995 to protect the largest tract of old growth forest in Kentucky, their work has expanded into a variety of conservation projects with a primary focus on the 125-mile Pine Mountain Wildlands Corridor where they've protected thousands of acres of forest. The mountain is within one of the most biologically diverse temperate zone regions on the planet and is a key link within Central Appalachia, a geography that is essential to protecting and preserving the natural systems that support life on Earth.
Get Involved - KNLT.org
Pine Mountain Settlement School was founded in Harlan County in 1913 as a school for children in the Commonwealth's remote southeastern mountains and a social center for surrounding communities. Today, they are a community non-profit that looks to traditional folkways to create innovative solutions to Appalachia's challenges, while inviting in the broader world to engage and connect to natural and cultural heritage. Their mission is to enrich people and enhance lives through Appalachian place-based education for all ages. Each year, their environmental education programs (and countless other programs) host thousands of people for immersive, hands-on learning.
Come and visit - pinemountainsettlementschool.com
Other Ways You Can Help
Visit Pine Mountain and bring your loved ones.
Share this project and music with loved ones.
Support leaders who value & prioritize our wild places and clean water & air.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

jttouch2

This is super cool, LOVED that "Walking In the Snow" track from the orchestral suite and it'd be awesome to hear an official recording!

parkervb

Carl teased something today, could be another solo album or maybe related to his track here. My guess is another solo album

https://twitter.com/carlbroemel/status/1115954916944699392
Don't you ever turn it off

jttouch2

Quote from: parkervb on Apr 10, 2019, 10:28 AMCarl teased something today, could be another solo album or maybe related to his track here. My guess is another solo album

He just put up another teaser so a seemingly different song so I would bet on a solo album. weird and slightly nerveracking that it's so soon but I prefer Carl's solo stuff to Jim's so bring it on!

MMJTX

ya id be very surprised by another solo album so soon. very discouraging that all of them seem to have so much creative juices flowing but all flowing separately  :cry:
Anytime

rkwedge

Quote from: jttouch2 on Apr 11, 2019, 10:29 AM
Quote from: parkervb on Apr 10, 2019, 10:28 AMCarl teased something today, could be another solo album or maybe related to his track here. My guess is another solo album

He just put up another teaser so a seemingly different song so I would bet on a solo album. weird and slightly nerveracking that it's so soon but I prefer Carl's solo stuff to Jim's so bring it on!
I'm with you jttouch2, Carl's new stuff is easier for me to listen to also. I hope it is another solo album. Carl seems to really be enjoying the whole process of recording/engineering music right now so bring it on.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

PookdaddyG

Oh hell yeah! Glad I didn't miss out on this! Thanks for sharing!

Mr. White

Got my vinyl copy in the mail yesterday. Just now taking time out to listen. Side A is so good! I'm sure the rest will be awesome as well. So many Kentucky artists and related talent who have passed through our state have contributed to this collection. I'm lucky enough to have met and seen live so many of these talented musicians here in my home state and in neighboring states. Daniel Martin Moore should be well thought of and remembered for this timeless effort long after his spirit has departed this Land.

jttouch2

Quote from: Mr. White on Jul 19, 2019, 09:38 PMGot my vinyl copy in the mail yesterday. Just now taking time out to listen. Side A is so good! I'm sure the rest will be awesome as well. So many Kentucky artists and related talent who have passed through our state have contributed to this collection. I'm lucky enough to have met and seen live so many of these talented musicians here in my home state and in neighboring states. Daniel Martin Moore should be well thought of and remembered for this timeless effort long after his spirit has departed this Land.
How's the version of Walking in the Snow??

Mr. White

Quote from: MamaKel on Aug 14, 2019, 12:04 PMMr. White...have you heard Katin Toupin's track? It's a real stand out...

Yeah, I've taken several of the songs from the regular release and the extra digital download only ones and made myself a "Greatest Hits" of sorts to make a CD to play in my car and in the "Jam-Box" (yes, we still have and use several jam-boxes at our house when cleaning and working and whatnot). I've got all my favorites on there, and her song made the cut.

Mr. White

Pine Mountain Sessions on Thursday, August 22, 2019 @ 8:00 PM, Bomhard Theater

https://www.kentuckycenter.org/all-shows/pine-mountain-sessions

Location: The Kentucky Center, 501 W Main St - GET DIRECTIONS
Date(s): Thursday, August 22nd @ 8:00 PM
Ages: All ages
Price: Tickets are $25.00
Group pricing is available in select areas. Call (502) 566-5152 for details.
Running Time: Approximately 2 hours

91.9 WFPK presents
Pine Mountain Sessions
Featuring:
Joan Shelley with Nathan Salsburg
Rachel Grimes
Silas House
Daniel Martin Moore
The Other Years
Maurice Manning
Marianne Worthington

Released in April 2019, PINE MOUNTAIN SESSIONS is a musical compilation featuring Kentucky-bred musicians and poets including Jim James, Ben Sollee, Wendell Berry, Joan Shelley and Silas House.

The intent of this recording is to raise funds benefiting the Kentucky Natural Lands Trust and the Pine Mountain Settlement School.

Don't miss this compelling live performance by a select group of PINE MOUNTAIN SESSIONS artists.

Got my ticket already! Front Row (Table) Dead Center!