"Brokenhearted Jubilee"-Carl Broemel

Started by jttouch2, Apr 12, 2019, 12:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jttouch2

https://open.spotify.com/album/0J5XUvgn5sBL5v8ZOxyJaZ?si=3TN-yj4PRIq1bu5swK9O3A

Several covers (maybe all covers, I don't know several of the songs if they are covers) and a collaboration with somebody named Eric Hopper who I am unfamiliar with. One listen through and it's awesome! His great Pink Moon cover is on here and "In April" has some killer guitar.

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

rkwedge

Holy sh*t this is great! "The Way It Will Be" is off the chart good, Pink Floyd-ish.  :thumbsup:  It's a cover of a Gillian Welch song.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwmusic/article/Carl-Broemel-My-Morning-Jacket-Releases-New-BROKENHEARTED-JUBILEE-EP-20190412

Good to see a johnnYYac sighting on here.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off

CountSA

This is excellent, Carl keeps cranking out gems.  Yes it would be ideal if the boys would just get together and put out another proper MMJ album,  but getting new Jim and Carl solo albums annually is pretty damn satisfying too.

parkervb

Hoptimus Prime

Quote from: parkervb on Apr 12, 2019, 01:28 PMThe Way It Will Be is a j-a-m.

Holy jumpin' dogshit - Once I listened I had to come straight here to see if anyone else was crapping their pants over this track.  Man... 
5/24/2003, and every damn time possible since!

APR

Quote from: Hoptimus Prime on Apr 12, 2019, 01:42 PM
Quote from: parkervb on Apr 12, 2019, 01:28 PMThe Way It Will Be is a j-a-m.

Holy jumpin' dogshit - Once I listened I had to come straight here to see if anyone else was crapping their pants over this track.  Man... 

Right on!  I'm looking forward to listening after work.  The snippet of new music Carl put on twitter sounded cool. 

ditty

https://jambands.com/news/2019/04/12/my-morning-jackets-carl-broemel-releases-new-ep-brokenhearted-jubilee/

My Morning Jacket lead guitarist Carl Broemel surprised fans today by announcing and releasing a new EP, Brokenhearted Jubilee, which includes a new original track as well as covers of songs from Paul McCartney, Nick Drake, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, and more.

The album, which sees Broemel collaboration with drummer Eric Hopper, began with the duo playing McCartney's "Junk" at Broemel's home studio (hence the title, taken from a line in that tune) and features harmonica from Mickey Raphael on a few tracks, including a cover of Drake's classic "Pink Moon" that also has keyboard work from Broemel's MMJ bandmate Bo Koster. The EP also includes one new original, "Face of the Earth."

"This is a collection of some of Eric and I's favorite songs of all time, songs we come back to often," explains Carl Broemel. "Once we started recording them, there emerged a kind of connecting theme of beauty amongst loss, how the springtime only works as a result of experiencing the dark energy of winter, and in doing so, brings life back again fresh and new."

Brokenhearted Jubilee Tracklist:

Junk (Paul McCartney)
Pink Moon (Nick Drake)
Longing For You (Palmer Rockey)
In April (Sardina)
Face of the Earth
God Loves Everyone (Ron Sexsmith)
The Way It Will Be (Gillian Welch and David Rawlings)

100204 102305 112506 80711 71412 7050613 OBH14151718 6232415 71815 5121316 52616 62217 81017 8020319

jttouch2

Quote from: ditty on Apr 12, 2019, 04:28 PMhttps://jambands.com/news/2019/04/12/my-morning-jackets-carl-broemel-releases-new-ep-brokenhearted-jubilee/

My Morning Jacket lead guitarist Carl Broemel surprised fans today by announcing and releasing a new EP, Brokenhearted Jubilee, which includes a new original track as well as covers of songs from Paul McCartney, Nick Drake, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, and more.

The album, which sees Broemel collaboration with drummer Eric Hopper, began with the duo playing McCartney's "Junk" at Broemel's home studio (hence the title, taken from a line in that tune) and features harmonica from Mickey Raphael on a few tracks, including a cover of Drake's classic "Pink Moon" that also has keyboard work from Broemel's MMJ bandmate Bo Koster. The EP also includes one new original, "Face of the Earth."

"This is a collection of some of Eric and I's favorite songs of all time, songs we come back to often," explains Carl Broemel. "Once we started recording them, there emerged a kind of connecting theme of beauty amongst loss, how the springtime only works as a result of experiencing the dark energy of winter, and in doing so, brings life back again fresh and new."

Brokenhearted Jubilee Tracklist:

Junk (Paul McCartney)
Pink Moon (Nick Drake)
Longing For You (Palmer Rockey)
In April (Sardina)
Face of the Earth
God Loves Everyone (Ron Sexsmith)
The Way It Will Be (Gillian Welch and David Rawlings)

I can't find the original recording of In April anywhere-Carl's version is SUCH a jam but I'm just curious as to where it came from b/c I can find no evidence of Sardina on the internet haha

Cameron

CC

Quote from: jttouch2 on Apr 12, 2019, 09:51 PMI can't find the original recording of In April anywhere-Carl's version is SUCH a jam but I'm just curious as to where it came from b/c I can find no evidence of Sardina on the internet haha

Sardina is a 90s band from Indianapolis
In April is an outtake from Sardina's 1995 album Presents.
you can stream & download the original track here:
http://www.musicalfamilytree.com/band/sardina/205

more band info & streams here:
http://www.musicalfamilytree.com/band/sardina

also here's a 2016 interview with Carl where he mentions Sardina
http://www.musicalfamilytree.com/blog/230093

Jbpats

Loved this album, thought it was solid from start to finish with the exception of God Loves Everyone.. that tune is kind of weak to me.

These tunes really stood out for me:
Longing for You
In April
The Way it Will be - personally love Gillian and Dave Rawlings so this was a pleasant surprise.

Carl's Duesenberg just screams throughout this album. How i've missed that tone. 

parkervb

The Way It Will Be sounds the ideal mix of Neil Young and Jason Molina. I've listened to that song daily since the album came out.

rkwedge

You can see why Carl likes the song, and did he take it to another level.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

Cameron

My favorite as well.

Junk and Pink Moon are also great.

slappymoe

loving it.

"mccartney" was the first album i bought with my "own" money back when i was a wee child.  7 or 8 years old.  at that age i was more fascinated with the automatic record changer than the music itself.  probably heard "junk" a gazillion times before i turned 10.

carl does a great job. :thumbsup:

Mr. White

Here's a video I made of Carl doing "God Loves Everyone" from his show at Hi-Fi in Indianapolis back on 11/18/2017. At the time, I had never heard the song before. The sound's not all that great but not terrible.

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

jttouch2

God Loves Everyone probably isn't as strong as the rest, but my mom is a minister so its been cool to be able to share that song with her, we normally have no musical connections whatsoever.

ChiefOKONO

What a cool surprise!  thanks and I am looking forward to checking it out!!