OBH2 Memories - 5 years ago!

Started by sillyboob, Jan 31, 2019, 12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sillyboob

Facebook reminded me today that five years ago, I was at LAX on the same plane as Band Of Horses (having seen them in Orange County earlier in the week), flying down to the Riviera Maya, for my first One Big Holiday (the wife would join me a day later due to grad school).  Man, what a trip.  I wasn't a huge fan of MMJ at the time, but those four nights of music sucked me in completely. 

The War On Drugs were a great opener for OBH. And when Jacket kicked in with 'Ride Like The Wind' - it was on.  That first night we got Steam Engine with Adam Granduciel, a killer set of 80s covers, a new song debut (Big Decisions) and the promise of three more nights of killer music.

Needless to say, the impact these four nights of music had on my life is huge.  I knew of My Morning Jacket before heading down to Mexico (I'd seen them once before), but now I wasn't just a fan, I was a FAN!!!!!!  We ended up seeing them later in 2015 at Red Rocks (first time at RR), and have seen them at OBH 3 & 4, as well as traveling to Nashville to catch a show with them.  Will be heading out to New York in August for the Forest Hills show, and hopefully the following winter down in the DR.

Here's to OBH2!!!  What a trip it was!!!!!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Lonndown27

OBH2 was bizarre! it was so good! it was the first MMJ i had listened to in nearly a year when it dropped in March or April 2015 (my buddy Dylan Moon sent me the files as I was poor at the time). It rekindled my absolute love for them as my favorite band of all time and I became absolutely head over heels obsessed again, just like I was back in 2003-2012, BUT had taken a year off or so because of other bands touring and releasing records and me being a little disappointed by Circuital at the time.

OBH2 was the shit.
It reminded me of what a great rock and roll band can do and how they are the ONLY band that would even attempt to cover such stuff as RIDE LIKE THE WIND and Velvet Underground classics and FADE INTO YOU among others...it was unreal.

OBH2 has been ripped on by some on here, saying the wind ruined it and the sound was bad and that Jim's voice was off etc upon etc....regarding all of that: IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL, BABY.

OBH2 is what cemented them as my favorite band and only a month later, we were being treated to previews and snippets of The Waterfall and let's just say I went on an obsession with MMJ that still hasn't ended, with the fever pitch being December 2017.

They're just too good.
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Come Closer

robb

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Feb 09, 2019, 06:34 PMOBH2 was bizarre! it was so good! it was the first MMJ i had listened to in nearly a year when it dropped in March or April 2015 (my buddy Dylan Moon sent me the files as I was poor at the time). It rekindled my absolute love for them as my favorite band of all time and I became absolutely head over heels obsessed again, just like I was back in 2003-2012, BUT had taken a year off or so because of other bands touring and releasing records and me being a little disappointed by Circuital at the time.

OBH2 was the shit.
It reminded me of what a great rock and roll band can do and how they are the ONLY band that would even attempt to cover such stuff as RIDE LIKE THE WIND and Velvet Underground classics and FADE INTO YOU among others...it was unreal.

OBH2 has been ripped on by some on here, saying the wind ruined it and the sound was bad and that Jim's voice was off etc upon etc....regarding all of that: IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL, BABY.

OBH2 is what cemented them as my favorite band and only a month later, we were being treated to previews and snippets of The Waterfall and let's just say I went on an obsession with MMJ that still hasn't ended, with the fever pitch being December 2017.

They're just too good.

i think, overall, OBH2 might be my overall favorite jacket run ever. for my money that war begun is the best thing they've ever done, period.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

Lonndown27

Quote from: robb on Feb 11, 2019, 07:55 AM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on Feb 09, 2019, 06:34 PMOBH2 was bizarre! it was so good! it was the first MMJ i had listened to in nearly a year when it dropped in March or April 2015 (my buddy Dylan Moon sent me the files as I was poor at the time). It rekindled my absolute love for them as my favorite band of all time and I became absolutely head over heels obsessed again, just like I was back in 2003-2012, BUT had taken a year off or so because of other bands touring and releasing records and me being a little disappointed by Circuital at the time.

OBH2 was the shit.

They're just too good.

i think, overall, OBH2 might be my overall favorite jacket run ever. for my money that war begun is the best thing they've ever done, period.

That War Begun is mammoth, it reminds me of the first War Begun i ever saw at my first ever show, they didn't expand on those ideas as long as they did at OBH2, which makes it the best War Begun.

It's such a bizarre song. Really, think about it: bluesy, weird light drums, towering guitar solo, nothing about it should make any sense BUT IT DOES EVERY FUCKIN TIME.

Robb my god.
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Clarkwork

I think OBH2 was my favorite...  Night 1 was just a dream.. those covers leading to Steam Engine
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....