Red Rocks Setlist Updates August 2, 2019

Started by dcfire, Aug 02, 2019, 10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgobugsy

BTW, actual band setlist had At Dawn as first song of encore.  Maybe tonight.

superfrodies

Quote from: walterfredo on Aug 03, 2019, 02:45 AMAnyone find all the chuckling by Jim tonight during numerous songs, to be a bit odd? Not sure what to make of that?

i thought it was really heartwarming. i don't think i've ever seen him so happy to be playing that he literally chuckles while singing. trey anastasio will also do this all the time these days and it's just infectious.

superfrodies

Quote from: jttouch2 on Aug 03, 2019, 02:14 AMJust got home and DAMN man. That was killer.

Dondante was STELLAR. so much evil.

Run Thru too. A real slow rendition and just absolutely epic.

Jim was on some weird shit about comparing red rocks to "the birth canal" and also regularly inserted the "where is the justice" into several other songs. thought that part was cool, the birth canal stuff was a tad odd but welcome to Jim.

Loved the couple of new setlist placements-Easy Mornin' in the first 5 and Masterplan in the encore were both great suprises.

It's so good to be back y'all. so. stinkin. good.

Classic Jim. Last night was the real shit. I would put it up there with Bonnaroo 2008 as one of the best MMJ shows I have had the good fortune of seeing. Can't wait for tonight. They are back!

jttouch2

Also cool-At the end of Golden, Jim asked the crowd to be completely silent ("not a peep"). it worked out suprisingly well and let everything just be silent (besides the occasional yeller) for about 30-45 sec before he said "we love you" and dropped into the most evil Dondante ever. totally awesome moment.

mmjatl

First Light had an extended jam that was very cool.

Last night's energy & look felt like a throwback to 2005/2006 era.

parkervb

there was 26 minutes from the Dondante post to the next song, so yea, jammy Red Rocks special.

anyone see any tapers/recordists?
Don't you ever turn it off

rkwedge

It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

RobRoy286

MPP

Master Plan, Run Thru, Easy, man, those were standouts.

Rupert230

Quote from: CountSA on Aug 02, 2019, 08:34 PMTonights poster:

Where/ when are they selling merch?  Are there shirts?

Rupert230

Last night was just incredible.  Jim was inspired, his voice was perfect, the band sounded phenomenal, and those versions of War Begun, I'm Amazed, Believe, and especially Dondante, which was like an epoch of its own— fanstastic. 

Easy Wind

Amazed was definitely best I've ever heard.  Energy there was so incredible. Lots of extended Jams. You could tell they were having a great time. Confident and on point. My first time at red rocks was a fucking spiritual experience!

Rupert230

Quote from: Easy Wind on Aug 03, 2019, 05:23 PMAmazed was definitely best I've ever heard.  Energy there was so incredible. Lots of extended Jams. You could tell they were having a great time. Confident and on point. My first time at red rocks was a fucking spiritual experience!

Exactly.

Lonndown27

Holy Hoffmanchrist the boys are back in town!!! Rkwedge you da man!!!
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

sillyboob

Quote from: jttouch2 on Aug 03, 2019, 02:14 AMJust got home and DAMN man. That was killer.

Jim was on some weird shit about comparing red rocks to "the birth canal" and also regularly inserted the "where is the justice" into several other songs. thought that part was cool, the birth canal stuff was a tad odd but welcome to Jim.

Loved the couple of new setlist placements-Easy Mornin' in the first 5 and Masterplan in the encore were both great suprises.

I'm pretty sure Jim said the same birth canal stuff about Red Rocks back in 2015. 
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Lonndown27

Quote from: sillyboob on Aug 04, 2019, 12:07 PM

I'm pretty sure Jim said the same birth canal stuff about Red Rocks back in 2015. 

he has invoked the "birth canal thing" for a few times. probably in 2015 you're probably right.

Anyone not liking Jim's weird exaggeration of certain words and grunts and shit these shows, especially Saturday? Kinda weird.
27 minute Steam Engine jesus...the Get Back / Imagine sync was outrageous but they went a bit too far with Lean On Me as done by Lamb of God
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

walterfredo

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Aug 04, 2019, 08:04 PMAnyone not liking Jim's weird exaggeration of certain words and grunts and shit these shows, especially Saturday? Kinda weird.

Yes. But I found it to be more so on Friday than Saturday personally.

From being on this forum for over a decade, one thing I know is that folks don't take well to any criticism of the band or Jim. The band was on fire, but Jim was not Jim. I have very mixed feelings about the weekend as a whole, mostly Jim. It just didn't feel 100% right to me.

parkervb

a friend of mine, he's on here time to time, said he wasn't a fan of Jim's "choppy sing talking". He definitely has a different vocal approach. I haven't listened or seen his recent solo tour work but is that something he was doing then? He was also WAAAAAY more chatty than usual, even for a Red Rocks show.
Don't you ever turn it off

trav

Quote from: parkervb on Aug 05, 2019, 01:51 PMa friend of mine, he's on here time to time, said he wasn't a fan of Jim's "choppy sing talking". He definitely has a different vocal approach. I haven't listened or seen his recent solo tour work but is that something he was doing then? He was also WAAAAAY more chatty than usual, even for a Red Rocks show.

I don't know about some others, but I thought he was amazing. As far as how he plays a song or when he talks and what he says, I never really care. I go to the shows with no expectations and just enjoy the hell out of it. I just sit back and enjoy it and take in whatever mmj gives me. Also, I thought he was great. His voice was great, the music was great and to hear Dondante AND run thru on Friday, was the pinnacle for me. 2 of my favorites and both at red rocks for my first time. What an amazing experience!!!

The only 2 things I can say now is I wish I somehow could've gotten a poster, any poster. And number 2, I have been looking forward to this trip since the beginning of the year and nothing really afterward. So now, I'm kind at a loss for what to do with my time now. Nothing will really outdo mmj at red rocks. Guess I'll have plenty of time to think of something, at least until next time!

mb34

Quote from: walterfredo on Aug 05, 2019, 01:35 PM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on Aug 04, 2019, 08:04 PMAnyone not liking Jim's weird exaggeration of certain words and grunts and shit these shows, especially Saturday? Kinda weird.

Yes. But I found it to be more so on Friday than Saturday personally.

From being on this forum for over a decade, one thing I know is that folks don't take well to any criticism of the band or Jim. The band was on fire, but Jim was not Jim. I have very mixed feelings about the weekend as a whole, mostly Jim. It just didn't feel 100% right to me.
I can appreciate this reaction - Jim was definitely a different Jim than in previous Jacket shows. Having seen him a few times on his recent solo tours, his Red Rocks energy didn't feel off to me, though - just an evolution of his own personal journey. No sunglasses, front of stage and actually looking out at the crowd with eyes wide open, laughing at times while singing. I happen to love it, and he/the band seemed to be having an absolute blast while rocking out.

That said, as a big Panic fan, it would be really weird if JB suddenly started chatting a bunch or sharing stories during a show because that's never been his thing. In this case, though, I thought it made sense/fit in with my recent experiences of Jim.