Red Rocks Setlist Updates August 2, 2019

Started by dcfire, Aug 02, 2019, 10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jttouch2

It was definitely odd, especially Friday. I didn't love it particularly Friday (was kinda disappointed when he started saying silly stuff during Dondante-took me out of the zone for a bit but I settled back in) but it made Saturday pretty interesting with all the Beatles stuff.

I was a lot more concerned about the amount of key changes for this run-The Way That He Sings and Steam Engine both went down a full step, I'm Amazed was down a half step, and I think there were one or two more that I thought in the moment but don't remember now. + several times he noticably decided to forgo higher parts he normally does (the 2nd scream in Gideon was abandoned for instance).  obviously voices dwindle over time and everything still sounded AMAZING but it is a little sad to see evidence that Jim's voice is losing some range.

johnnYYac

Quote from: Jbpats on Aug 03, 2019, 11:14 AMAny other new twists on tunes other then run thru?

Was hoping to see something new on the setlist, whether that be a new jim/Carl solo tune, fresh cover or most desired new jacket song.

I noticed, during Phone, Jim made the doctor female and and tried to downplay the sexual connotations in the lyrics.

Also, to address walterfredo's question regarding Jim's giggles, think back (not too far) to the prolific presence of laughter on Uniform Distortion.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

MMJTX

It was obviously hard not to notice the difference in Jim's personality but i definitely enjoyed it.
I had a friend who got to visit with a man who is started a large festival (would rather not say) but that he said Jim just gets so unbelievably excited about playing at Red Rocks and that he was particularly excited about this big weekend of reuniting with the band and that he knew how much it meant for the band and the fans that he was just gitty with excitement. Couple that with the basic admission by Jim of being on LSD (instead of cocaine smile in Picture of you he said LSD smile) we got quite the unique and extremely memorable show for a LONG time by Jim and the boys. Enjoy it for it's uniqueness I say!
Anytime

RobRoy286

Quote from: MMJTX on Aug 06, 2019, 08:47 AMIt was obviously hard not to notice the difference in Jim's personality but i definitely enjoyed it.
I had a friend who got to visit with a man who is started a large festival (would rather not say) but that he said Jim just gets so unbelievably excited about playing at Red Rocks and that he was particularly excited about this big weekend of reuniting with the band and that he knew how much it meant for the band and the fans that he was just gitty with excitement. Couple that with the basic admission by Jim of being on LSD (instead of cocaine smile in Picture of you he said LSD smile) we got quite the unique and extremely memorable show for a LONG time by Jim and the boys. Enjoy it for it's uniqueness I say!
Yup! Very unique energy. I'm glad I got to be there for the reunion. Not sure why people are criticizing Jim for looking happier than normal.

rkwedge

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Aug 06, 2019, 10:53 AM
Quote from: MMJTX on Aug 06, 2019, 08:47 AMIt was obviously hard not to notice the difference in Jim's personality but i definitely enjoyed it.
Yup! Very unique energy. I'm glad I got to be there for the reunion. Not sure why people are criticizing Jim for looking happier than normal.
I agree RobRoy286, I personally loved Jim's happiness and his energy. He just seemed to be in a good place which is the goal in life. I had a blast at these shows.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

walterfredo

Quote from: walterfredo on Aug 05, 2019, 01:35 PMFrom being on this forum for over a decade, one thing I know is that folks don't take well to any criticism of the band or Jim. 

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Aug 06, 2019, 10:53 AMNot sure why people are criticizing Jim for looking happier than normal.

I think this somewhat reinforces my point I was trying to make. Anything even remotely considered by others to be criticism, people get all worked up. I made the top post because I was fairly confident folks would take what I said, and categorize it as criticism.

For the record, I actually never criticized or said anything negative. I was just trying to sort out and make sense of what was an OBVIOUS change in demeanor and approach to so many songs.

Quote from: walterfredo on Aug 03, 2019, 02:45 AMAnyone find all the chuckling by Jim tonight during numerous songs, to be a bit odd? Not sure what to make of that?

I had an amazing time both shows, fucking loved it. So glad they're back, so great to see them on stage rocking again. But...should be ok for someone to verbalize their feelings. Something was clearly different, and I was merely trying to process what was going on.

parkervb

i think we're all happier to see a happier, more ebullient Jim. I think people are talking about his vocal riffing, some different phrasing, etc. I just liked that he and the guys are trying some new stuff out bc tbh it seemed to get a lil stale (imo) at points in 2017.
Don't you ever turn it off

walterfredo

good point parkervb. That is the kind of response I was hoping to get, was just curious how others felt, as I was unsure how to process what I was seeing and hearing. Love to get others' perspective.

RobRoy286

Quote from: walterfredo on Aug 06, 2019, 11:09 AM
Quote from: walterfredo on Aug 05, 2019, 01:35 PMFrom being on this forum for over a decade, one thing I know is that folks don't take well to any criticism of the band or Jim. 

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Aug 06, 2019, 10:53 AMNot sure why people are criticizing Jim for looking happier than normal.

I think this somewhat reinforces my point I was trying to make. Anything even remotely considered by others to be criticism, people get all worked up. I made the top post because I was fairly confident folks would take what I said, and categorize it as criticism.

For the record, I actually never criticized or said anything negative. I was just trying to sort out and make sense of what was an OBVIOUS change in demeanor and approach to so many songs.

Quote from: walterfredo on Aug 03, 2019, 02:45 AMAnyone find all the chuckling by Jim tonight during numerous songs, to be a bit odd? Not sure what to make of that?

I had an amazing time both shows, fucking loved it. So glad they're back, so great to see them on stage rocking again. But...should be ok for someone to verbalize their feelings. Something was clearly different, and I was merely trying to process what was going on.

I gotcha. Maybe my post was obtusely worded, because I'm not "worked up" over anything, and I don't think anyone should be. Your "mixed feelings" implies both positive and negative, so I was just curious as to why the feelings were mixed instead of solidly positive. I didn't mean for this to be directed specifically towards you either. I've read/heard a lot of people say similar things. Jim's vibe was certainly different. I just happened to really like it and I wondered what other people made of it.   

RobRoy286

I'll admit, too, that some of the shows felt a little weird, for lack of a better word. I really think it's the beginning of the next chapter, and it's a little jarring after 3 years of touring the Waterfall. I'm excited for whatever comes next!

jimmyE

How long has it been since Jim has consistently played without sunglasses?

I honestly thought Saturday's show was one of the best I've ever seen. Sure some things have changed but I would expect nothing less from a band that's been off the road for 17 months. I thought the energy was electric, the band was dialed in, and they have the look and feel of a group that has a lot of life left in them.

walterfredo

RobRoy286

Quote from: jimmyE on Aug 06, 2019, 01:43 PMHow long has it been since Jim has consistently played without sunglasses?
2013 solo tour I believe.

Ham and Cheese

Quote from: walterfredo on Aug 05, 2019, 01:35 PM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on Aug 04, 2019, 08:04 PMAnyone not liking Jim's weird exaggeration of certain words and grunts and shit these shows, especially Saturday? Kinda weird.

Yes. But I found it to be more so on Friday than Saturday personally.

From being on this forum for over a decade, one thing I know is that folks don't take well to any criticism of the band or Jim. The band was on fire, but Jim was not Jim. I have very mixed feelings about the weekend as a whole, mostly Jim. It just didn't feel 100% right to me.

I've been a fan for 15 years or so, and probably seen 20-25 shows.

I thought Friday was extremely off, esp the vibe from Jim. There was a lotta out of place laughs (to the point I wondered where his head was at) from him and I thought the energy and tempo was way down.

Now granted, I def was not sober but I had myself convinced that I was witnessing a bit of a band meltdown and it threw me into a funk for the after show and into the next day.

From my perspective, they redeemed themselves on Saturday but Friday was way, way off to me. Of course they hadn't played in ~16 months and I've written it off to rust but shit, Friday was  just really fucking weird.

walterfredo

Mingus Rude

Didn't see Friday night but I also was feeling something was off as the show got started Saturday.
The Wordless opener was definitely different and I always thought that Jim would need to be warmed up to crush that.I was defiantly not clear headed and I am hard wired to want what I have, so the band could play anything and I would love it ( 35 plus shows so far ).As the show went on I commented to a friend I thought it sounded sloppy to me and i have always been super impressed how tight they sound live. Someone commented on the key changes and that makes a whole lot of sense now. I'm not a musician but I also felt that the pace was different on some of the songs.Like instead of 4/4 it was 3/4? As the show progressed it revealed itself to be absolutely fantastic and I am still thinking about it today.Industrial lean on me stuck in the middle of Get Back in the Middle of Steam Engine was incredible.
Maybe even some Imagine thrown in.I have not listened to the show yet so I am not sure about that.
Couldn't wipe the smile off my face that Jim paid tribute to the Beatles because of their history at Red Rocks.
Sad for a second that Dancefloors was cut but like said still a great great show Saturday.
Super happy to have seen it and looking forward to New York.
Also this was my second trip to Red Rocks and for me being up top of the venue was so much better than being in row 6.
Totally different experience