Jackets N Pones

Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

CC

parkervb

put that pic in the Smithsonian!
Don't you ever turn it off

gkitt80

CC

Quote from: MamaKel on Aug 13, 2019, 10:39 AMSo, yesterday I was listening to Marvin's "What's Goin' On" album...specifically to "Save the Children", and it occurred to me that I hear SO much of Marvin's style in the way that Jim was talk/singing this tour. It is heavily influenced by Curtis Mayfield and Gil Scott too. That conversational improvisation. I love it because it is not easy to play, sing, listen to the overall sound, emote, AND improvise at the same time...with such refinement of character and tone.

that reminds me of this Jim said about "What's Goin' On":

"What is possible in the making an album? In how many ways can one hit the heart and soul of humanity, inspiring people not only to dance but consider the world in which they live and inspire change? Make the world a better place. Literally and metaphysically change the consciousness every time one puts the needle in the groove or hears the song randomly at the supermarket.

I remember it this was as a kid hearing those opening lines and just feeling the deepest "wow". I was lucky to stumble upon the multi-tracks for the title track and when you solo Marvin's vocal and just listen to him there in the booth singing and waiting to sing in between phrases you hear the sound of pure joy and creativity at work.

Everyone knows how difficult it is to create a true masterpiece in art. But one thing I learned in listening to these multi-tracks was a real sense of TOGETHERNESS. Everyone playing together. Different instruments bleeding into one another.

Solo the drums and they don't sound all that great. BUT solo them and add in the bass or the guitar or the vocal or the vibes and notice the drum bleed from those other mics bleed into the drums themselves and it gets more surreal - something is ALIVE.

A sense of unity starts to occur. A sense that none of us can do it alone... but together... together we can really do something special. Create something for the ages."

CC

ps. nice avatar MamaKel, I actually took that photo :) a long time ago, during the 2000 Tennessee Fire tour.

sillyboob

So, being lucky enough to catch the two New York shows, the two standout highlights for me were War Begun into Picture Of You at Port Chester, and Steam Engine into Phone Went West at Forest Hills.  Such epic songs to get played back to back.

Was also stoked to get to see Rocket Man and Tyrone for the first time in Port Chester, and for the nonstop hit parade we got in Forest Hills.  Anytime you get to see this band on back to back nights, you know the forces that be are smiling down on you.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Jackets N Pones

Looks like Bo got some new Jordan 1s?
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

parkervb

Blakesburg killed it per usual
Don't you ever turn it off