Thoughts on Jim’s comments yesterday

Started by Rupert230, Oct 20, 2019, 05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rupert230

There was fascinating stuff about the collaboration with Teddy Abrams but two things concerned me:

—someone asked him whether there'd be another OBH.   His answer was basically "maybe someday" and strongly implied that nothing is currently planned and moreover his comments that they have to book it so many years out suggested that there probably won't be one any time soon.  I hope that was some kind of bluff!

—Though he said he'll always love playing and recording with MMJ, he went on about how much he craves more collaborations with other artists and how it's hard to find time to do all of the ones he wants to do.

Now maybe he's doing it all, including a new MMJ record but if you just heard what he said yesterday you could be forgiven for thinking that's not a big priority.

Thoughts?

ChiefOKONO

It seems like OBH takes a lot of planning so maybe when the band is more active they would plan something like that again in a few years.
It's hard to tell because it probably takes a really long time to get that all straightened out...

From how the band seemed from the last few shows, I think they will do a new album in the next year or so and that he is trying to find a way to manage that as well as his other interests.  It's a constant battle probably and I'd rather see that kind of thing happen instead of a band flaming out.  We'll see what happens next year!

I think that it is very possible to work on solo stuff, collaborations, etc. and also MMJ in the same year - he is committed and solid enough to do it.

parkervb

was this in an interview or AMA? can you share a link if there is one.
Don't you ever turn it off

Rupert230

This was at the Q&A befote Teddy & Jim performed 3 songs at the McKitrick Hotel last weekend.  It was a long and interesting Q&A, mostly about The Order of Nature, and I think portions of it are posted on YouTube.  Someone in the audience asked about OBH.  I'll see if I can find a link.

Murph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmGfmFKNO5Q

Around the 16 minute mark Jim says that MMJ is working on a new album and is about half way done. 

rkwedge

Quote from: Murph on Oct 27, 2019, 04:56 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmGfmFKNO5Q

Around the 16 minute mark Jim says that MMJ is working on a new album and is about half way done. 
How nice was it to hear him say that.  :thumbsup:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

Mr. White

Quote from: rkwedge on Oct 27, 2019, 06:12 PM
Quote from: Murph on Oct 27, 2019, 04:56 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmGfmFKNO5Q

Yeah! Thanks! Good to hear more positive and hopeful thoughts from Jim too.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

LBSUNFLWR

parkervb

Quote from: rkwedge on Oct 27, 2019, 06:12 PM

jives with what i heard post Forest Hills.
Don't you ever turn it off

ChiefOKONO

APR

This is so excellent.  Jim said that he currently "loves" working with MMJ.

Murph

"There were years when I didn't think I would do any more My Morning Jacket records again"... that was alarming!

But then, yes, he does follow that up with "But now I'm in love with it again."

7thsun

Quote from: Murph on Oct 29, 2019, 11:12 AM"There were years when I didn't think I would do any more My Morning Jacket records again"... that was alarming!

Alarming to say the least! Got me wondering what time he might have been referring to.

I wonder how close we were to never having Evil Urges, Circuital and Waterfall.

APR

Quote from: 7thsun on Oct 29, 2019, 12:52 PM
Quote from: Murph on Oct 29, 2019, 11:12 AM"There were years when I didn't think I would do any more My Morning Jacket records again"... that was alarming!

Alarming to say the least! Got me wondering what time he might have been referring to.

Or Z.  Who knows when.....it could have been when some original members/his cousin decided to leave.

ChiefOKONO

It would be very interesting to hear more about that comment, and hopefully someone asks him about it.

My theory is maybe after he fell of stage and got injured and strugged with getting healthy afterward, he could have been rethinking MMJ and what not....

jttouch2

I honestly feel like it might have been the last couple years-he and Carl both released over 3 side projects while no releases ever made it to fruition despite being "in the can" for years. Can't imagine they suddenly became THAT active solo in such a short span of time without at least giving thought to staying solo full-time.

millerjustin

Quote from: 7thsun on Oct 29, 2019, 12:52 PM

guessing post waterfall - in particular, the end of their tour in 2015 and moreso end of 2017 heading into NYE and OBH4

What's in here won't disappear

slappymoe

Quote from: millerjustin on Oct 31, 2019, 02:23 PMguessing post waterfall - in particular, the end of their tour in 2015 and moreso end of 2017 heading into NYE and OBH4
if i remember correctly, during obh4 jim said something like "at every ending is a new beginning."

that, and playing all 7 albums, certainly gave reason to wonder if that was the last we would see of MMJ.

Rupert230

Quote from: jttouch2 on Oct 31, 2019, 02:03 PMI honestly feel like it might have been the last couple years-he and Carl both released over 3 side projects while no releases ever made it to fruition despite being "in the can" for years. Can't imagine they suddenly became THAT active solo in such a short span of time without at least giving thought to staying solo full-time.

That's what I thought too

oistheone

Another interesting bunch of comments here:

https://relix.com/articles/detail/jim-james-here-in-spirit/

On the shows this summer:

QuoteThey were my favorite Jacket shows ever. They were transcendent for me. They were the first Jacket shows, maybe ever, that I played without sunglasses or without hiding behind some kind of cape or my hair. I felt like a new person; I felt like a free person.

I've often felt caged and trapped, but I felt so free. And a lot of that is because we've made a lot of peace as friends in the band. We've had some good talks and said some difficult things to each other, and we just dealt with the truth, and that's translated into a really special thing.