Main Menu

TOOL

Started by woodnymph, Sep 23, 2011, 09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APR

I like the new album a lot.  Pneuma is incredible and on repeated listens keeps blowing my mind.

ChiefOKONO

After listening to it a bunch of times on good headphones, I think it's a pretty amazing album and I love it.  There is so much to process here and I am glad I got the FLAC Hi-Res version because it sounds even better!!

The songs are so long it's like a symphony with different movements.  My favorites are Pneuma, Descending, Invincible, Chocolate Chip Trip, and 7empest.

Mr. White

I've been listening to it a lot too. I really like Fear Inoculum, but I can't rank it. I never really rank albums from bands I truly love and respect (that's why I don't partake in ranking MMJ albums threads at all). I only have one complaint about the new album. I wish Maynard would have screamed or howled or yelled a little from time to time. There are a few moments where the songs are building, and a small amount of screaming or loud singing would have served the songs right. I've worn my 10,000 Days TOOL shirts from 2006, that I bought extras of (so they're like new), to a couple of recent concerts I've been to since Fear Inoculum's release. When I hung out a bit after the Strand Of Oaks show at Zanzabar in Louisville last Wednesday, I had on one, and Tim Showalter mentioned it right away. He said he had just listened to the new album 4 times earlier that day. I told him I'd listened to it more than 30 times since it had been released (about 13 days, so that was probably a low estimate). He said he was really digging "Descending" a lot. After having seen them live for the first time just over 4 months ago, I can't believe I never made the effort to see them before. I've loved TOOL since my brother and his friends turned me on to them right after Aenima came out in 1996. Even though I said I don't rank their albums, I think 10,000 Days hits me hardest and has probably been listened to by me the most. I'm now rotating my listening between all their albums and EPs. Can't wait to see them live again in Indianapolis in early November!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

APR

I totally agree Mr. White..... the album is great but just needs a little more Maynard loud/heartfelt/screaming vocals.  I have been thinking the same thing during a few songs.

Good post chiefO..... I like that your favorites are practically every song on the album.

ChiefOKONO

I have to say, I agree with you guys as well... some more louder vocals/screaming would have been pretty awesome but maybe he wasn't feeling that...or maybe Maynard felt that the lyrics and themes didn't lend themselves to more loudness.  I read a couple of articles on the new album but I think they like the listener figure it out for themselves rather than explain the songs, which is a good thing IMO.

I guess we'll have to go see them live for the screaming vocals.  Their show is one of the biggest light and visual spectacles I've ever seen!  I'll never forget the last show I saw a few years ago when they opened with an amazing cover of No Quarter!  !!!!

Btw, I never heard Opiate until now and while I liked it, I like their last 2-3 albums much better.  They have evolved a long way!

Ok gotta go, Descending just came on! :)

Mr. White

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Sep 17, 2019, 01:42 PMI have to say, I agree with you guys as well... some more louder vocals/screaming would have been pretty awesome but maybe he wasn't feeling that...or maybe Maynard felt that the lyrics and themes didn't lend themselves to more loudness.  I read a couple of articles on the new album but I think they like the listener figure it out for themselves rather than explain the songs, which is a good thing IMO.

I guess we'll have to go see them live for the screaming vocals.  Their show is one of the biggest light and visual spectacles I've ever seen!  I'll never forget the last show I saw a few years ago when they opened with an amazing cover of No Quarter!  !!!!

Btw, I never heard Opiate until now and while I liked it, I like their last 2-3 albums much better.  They have evolved a long way!

Have you heard (do you have) Salival? It has a live version of "No Quarter" on it. I got it several years ago on ebay, but I believe there's a YouTube version of the entire audio of the album.

ChiefOKONO

Oh yeah, forgot about that.  I never got Salival but I will check online for it!

Jbpats

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Sep 17, 2019, 01:42 PMI have to say, I agree with you guys as well... some more louder vocals/screaming would have been pretty awesome but maybe he wasn't feeling that...or maybe Maynard felt that the lyrics and themes didn't lend themselves to more loudness.  I read a couple of articles on the new album but I think they like the listener figure it out for themselves rather than explain the songs, which is a good thing IMO.

There is no screaming because his voice is gone, can't hit that range anymore. I think that was one of the main reasons he toured with APC for so long, the songs were less demanding on his vocal chords. I remember reading an article when 10,000 days came out where he said the screaming is too hard on his voice these days.

ChiefOKONO

ChiefOKONO

By the way this tour is Incredible!!!  I hope all the fans who want to go get to see it or they add more dates.   They are playing better than ever IMO and Danny is just such a Beast!  Also their light show and visuals are spectacular.  The new songs fit in live really well too.

APR

I'd love it if they brought back No Quarter to the setlist.  I saw them open with it once, and it was amazing.  One more month until their DC show.

Mr. White

TOOL - Autographed Foil Alex Grey Show Poster (not mine) - Bankers Life Fieldhouse - Indianapolis, Indiana - 11/2/2019

ChiefOKONO

really cool looking poster! I have a ton of posters but I would have probably gotten that to frame!

APR

The DC show was great.  The new stuff was on another level - Invincible and Pneuma.  I hope they add Tempest for the next leg of the tour. 

That poster above is crazy and cool.  Very hit and miss posters in my opinion.  Tool posters sell out fast, but they often put them on their website for sale after the tour so keep an eye open.

walterfredo

Saw TOOL for the first time last night. Didn't know a single song of there's. Thoroughly impressed!

APR

A lot more shows added April - June.

Mr. White

Got to see TOOL for the third time last night! Very good show.

TOOL
"Invincible"
KFC Yum! Center
Louisville, Kentucky
Friday, March 4, 2022

Mr. White

"Think For Yourself"
"Question Authority"
"Think For Yourself"
"Question Authority"

ChiefOKONO

Awesome! I wonder if TOOL is working on any new music?

ChiefOKONO

Pilgrims Are Flocking to This Psychedelic Temple
Alex and Allyson Grey, the artists behind Tool's album covers, have built the world's trippiest museum

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/alex-grey-allyson-grey-tool-psychedelic-temple-1234780332/