What the world needs now is MMJ music

Started by Wbminn, Mar 24, 2020, 11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wbminn

While in the midst of this Covid-19 pandemic, any chance My Morning Jacket will release any LIVE music from their archive? Something along the lines of what Father John Misty has done? Thanks!

ChiefOKONO

Totally agree!  Release it!!!!

although, it seems like a lot of artists are postponing releases these days likely because they can't really go out there and promote them or tour....

Hoptimus Prime

Seems like now would be a great time for live releases.  I wouldn't assume touring would be a big benefit in terms of marketing a live album with no new material.  All the electronic crap should suffice!  I'm dying for something...  Especially with all of our shows and camping trips cancelled. Silver lining is that I had over $1000 in ticket money credited back to my card between Oysterhead and Pearl Jam alone.
5/24/2003, and every damn time possible since!

ChiefOKONO

Yes, I agree that they wouldn't need to tour to market a live album.

I think they should release a few for download if they don't want to do the whole physical release route....

sillyboob

Isn't there a live album laying around just waiting to be released?
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

ChiefOKONO

There is and I have no idea why they are taking so long to release it!!!

Mr. White

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-pmbj_HTpM/

Jim will be playing from his home on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert tonight (Monday, April 6, 2020).
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

CC

Quote from: Mr. White on Apr 06, 2020, 08:11 PMhttps://www.instagram.com/p/B-pmbj_HTpM/

Jim will be playing from his home on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert tonight (Monday, April 6, 2020).

"Lean On Me" In Honor Of Bill Withers

Derek713

rkwedge

Another beautiful tribute by Jim.  Is his hat going to survive the "Stay at Home"?
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

parkervb

have you truly lived until you've sang this song at the top of your lungs?
Don't you ever turn it off

ChiefOKONO

Thank you so much for posting that!!!

PaauweUrges

As the world finds itself in one of the most tumultuous times we've ever experienced, I can't help but agree and think that Jim will either dig up something special or project his angelic and healing voice in some way.

The Withers covers was magical. Losing Prine probably hit him deeply as well. We all need a bit of healing power right now.

ChiefOKONO

I saw the photo he posted of him on stage with John.  So sad... maybe he will record a Prine cover song or 2...

Mr. White

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Apr 09, 2020, 12:46 PMI saw the photo he posted of him on stage with John.  So sad... maybe he will record a Prine cover song or 2...

Jim posted to his Instagram account the soundboard audio of MMJ with John Prine when he joined them on stage in Memphis during the Americanarama tour on 7/2/2013 for the song, "All The Best". I did my thing again where I pair up fan videos with the soundboard audio. I'll probably post this in a couple of different threads, but I thought this might be the best place to start. It's pretty good stuff, pretty touching.

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

ericm

Oh man that was just great Mr. White.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  I'm not sure what as better, the playing or all the smiles and love but one thing for sure, combined it just doesn't get much better than that.

Thanks so much for posting it.
"Where's Jim going?"

rkwedge

Incredible job Mr. White, thanks so much for your effort. I'll treasure this video.
John really seemed to enjoy being there with the boys and I think he loved Carl's pedal steel playing. :thumbsup: Top Shelf
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

ChiefOKONO

Thank you so much for posting that one!!  What a sweet version!!!

Murph

I read that Patrick had a livestream last night on Instagram and said that they "have completed tracking a new album" 

Did anyone watch that?  Is this new information?  How long would it normally be from the time tracking is done until the time an album is released? 

AKS

I watched it last night. He's doing an Instagram Live with his buddy who appears to own a winery. Most of the chat was about other stuff but this should be close to word for word what Patrick said regarding MMJ for anyone who is curious. It was very fun lighthearted interview so please don't misinterpret any tone or anything here. Certainly a ton of grammatical errors on my part. If I got anything Patrick said wrong feel free to correct it

Q: What's going, musically, sonically, what do you have to talk about, man?
Don't let the MMJ flame die out, is there any threat of that...

Patrick: "No, no, no we love each other. We go through moments of love, it's never hate just in and out of... it's a long relationship and things come and go, we take time off and regroup, there's a lot of love in our group. That's all I gotta say about that. We really do love each other"

"We have had a blast, we just wrapped up basic tracking on a new album. Basically all the main tracks are done for the new album. All five of us were in a room together and it was just us and it was really beautiful and we did it over three sessions and just finished right before, god timing was on our side, right before the travel ban. I got back to Louisville from LA the beginning of the second week of March, we literally went into quarantine right afterwards. So we have an album that is still being worked on, you know there's still overdubs, additions and mixing and mastering and all of that but with the current situation of what's going on it's hard to say when it's going to be released because it's hard to get everything done with distance living"

Q: Where were you guys recording you said LA but that's kind of broad...

Patrick: "Yeah, it's a studio in Highland Park that we all just kind of found to be charming and the perfect size for the way we wanted to do it which was pretty much in the round, it was a special time, we found a home."

Q: Explain what in the round means

Patrick: "Just siting in a circle facing each other, so that we can... a lot of what we do  is by feel, you can only go so much with your brain, you need to be able to turn that off and feel and being able to see each other like we can on stage is a very important aspect of that so it was very nice to just be able to see each other and not just go into your zone... and look up and realize you're in a room with people you can be vulnerable with and they can be vulnerable with you and being in a round helps with that because there's no looking over a shoulder."

Q: Ok one of the questions that just came across is will you ever release recordings of the Terminal 5 shows...

Patrick: (Laughs) "Ohhh, or another live album... Yeah, we've talked about that forever. We started on one and it's been... I just think it ended up not being the right time to release it. The Terminal 5 shows, there's a ton of covers in there (laughs) that we've listened back to and are kind of...... some of them don't need to make the album (laughing). So you know what, this is forcing us to sift through all of that stuff right now and that's currently where we are... We're sitting on a good batch of recordings that we're feeling pretty excited about and now that everything's been put on hold we're looking back through our catalogues and thinking about stuff... We're just really picky about how things sound. We don't want to just throw something out there and it sound like crap. We just have a really high standard for ourselves and for anything that we put out. If you haven't seen a lot of live bootlegs or things other bands put out, we don't just throw em out right away, it's something we think very hard about and put a lot of time into sitting through hours and hours and hours of live recordings and finding the right ones. And there is a beauty to just releasing something and letting it exist, warts and all... We can do that too. If we were to release like an actual official live album it would have to be something that met all of our expectations."

Quote from: Murph on Apr 13, 2020, 11:16 AMI read that Patrick had a livestream last night on Instagram and said that they "have completed tracking a new album" 

Did anyone watch that?  Is this new information?  How long would it normally be from the time tracking is done until the time an album is released?