The Waterfall II

Started by johnnYYac, Jul 06, 2020, 01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: parkervb on Jul 08, 2020, 12:51 PM
Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Jul 08, 2020, 12:45 PMoh, hi!

Does anyone have that photo handy from the Waterfall recording sessions with some of the other tracks listed on there that they can re-post?  I believe I saw it on this forum a while back.

I was wondering if there were different ones there than appear on the Waterfall II?

here is a link to a IG post from Tucker with some of the songs listed:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm_q_0kh9RT/

I believe there is another one running around the webz somewhere too

So looks like Talk to Me is the only one that's not mentioned unless there was a title change

Zutroy

Be bold MMJ, announce OBH 5 for the DR in March 2021 and open the fest with Waterfall II

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: Zutroy on Jul 08, 2020, 02:08 PMBe bold MMJ, announce OBH 5 for the DR in March 2021 and open the fest with Waterfall II

I approve this message!!!

MMJCOBRA

CC

Quote from: CC on Jul 07, 2020, 05:04 PM
Quote from: RobRoy286 on Jul 07, 2020, 04:41 PMSo does "available digitally" mean it'll be on Apple Music/Spotify on Friday?

yes. see all options here
https://smarturl.it/MMJ_TheWaterfall2

spotify isn't listed but i'm sure it will be on there too

spotify (pre-save) link is now up too
https://smarturl.it/waterfall2_presave

millerjustin

Quote from: Zutroy on Jul 08, 2020, 02:08 PMBe bold MMJ, announce OBH 5 for the DR in March 2021 and open the fest with Waterfall II

agreed!  methinks it'll be back in MX tho
What's in here won't disappear

sillyboob

Quote from: millerjustin on Jul 08, 2020, 06:40 PM

That would be music to my ears.  I'd put money down now if they announced that.  Assuming it was refundable of course.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Cameron

You think they'd go back to a smaller place?

CountSA

Quote from: Cameron on Jul 08, 2020, 09:08 PM

You think they'd go back to a smaller place?

Wasn't the DR Hard Rock the one where like 20 people were poisoned and died?

Brother Beck

First time I saw them live was at the Hard Rock in Boston.  Waved to Jim outside and he waved to me back. 

Lucius

I personally think a OBH somewhere in Europe (Amsterdam would be my preference for obvious reasons) would be a great idea! Purely selfish reasons, have always wanted to go but it's been too expensive to come from the UK!
it wouldn't be a party without you

mdgsolo

Quote from: Lucius on Jul 07, 2020, 07:30 AMIt not being available [physically] in Europe is a disappointment but I'm thrilled this is actually happening! Though it's not their best album The Waterfall is my favourite on nostalgia grounds alone so I'm extremely ready for this! Can't wait to get blazed and devour a body of new Jacket songs in one sitting :cheesy:

I would recommend Bend, Oregon.

gardenparty

I get to hear a brand new Jacket album after work today.  So excited!

kotchishm

Quote from: oistheone on Jul 08, 2020, 01:12 AMI had a chance to hear the album.

Read no further if you want to go in fresh on Thursday!

Among the MANY highlights:

Still Thinkin' - Some of the most 60s-sounding pop MMJ has ever recorded. Sounds like a catchy reworking of "Exploding", until it breaks into a classic Jacket ending with Jim rippin' huge licks, Bo layin' down the vibes and Carl wailing on sax.

Climbing The Ladder - MMJ's most rockin' honky tonk ripper on anything since It Still Moves. This track is a straight barroom dancefloor burner, with an awesome multi-guitar attack -- some slippin' and slidin', some chicken pickin' and some fuzz rippin' and roarin'. I am fuckin' PUMPED to dance to this live. 

Feel You - This was the song teased the other day. And for DAMN GOOD REASON, as this is the next Jacket epic. Feel You is Lay Low's more mellow brother, with huge, soaring Jim vocals and all the guitar weaving magic that MMJ fans crave. And somehow in 2014, Bo had already brought the Floyd fairy dust to the mix?! This song is a stunner.

Beautiful Love - A pleasant soul chugger that is hugely elevated by a sick fuzz solo.

Magic Bullet - We've all heard this before, but it somehow sounds fresher here? I suspect this is a new, supremely spacious mix, filtered through a Funkadelic plugin. #wildtones #crazyhorns

Run It - An awesome Bill Withers-esque 70s singer-songwriter jam. Tommy makes this one pop with a sick Muscle Shoals groove, and Bo continues to elevate every song he's heavily featured on.

Wasted - Starts off sounding like Dan Auerbach run of the mill riffin' until it grows into the next Run Thru, crazy breakdown and all! There is a HUGE instrumental section which features incredible solos by Bo, Carl AND Jim! Not to mention BIG horns. This will be a live staple for years to come.

First Time - Wonderfully saccharine and supremely jammin', like the much happier cousin of Only Memories Remain. A perfect closer to the Waterfall saga. 

The only bad thing about this album is how BADLY it made me want to see these tunes live and I know that ain't happenin' for a while. Here's to a huge 2021 for MMJ!

Getting Z-session "Devil's Peanut Butter" vibes from "Climbing the Ladder"

"Feel You" is so good
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Clarkwork

Neighbors may complain tonight, gonna get loud
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

Come Closer

The front end of this thing has Brian Wilson/Beach Boys dreamy trop pop vibes. Kinda reminds me of the psychedelic soul of Eternally Even, but with more structured songs. And oh yeah they gave Magic Bullet the Evil Urges treatment and it's a definite improvement. Bill Withers is a great description of Run It, can't come up with anything better there. Wasted is the rocky-est song here, and are those Quick Like a Flash licks towards the end?? Welcome Home is pretty true to the OG version, maybe heavier on the pedal steel. If you like mellow spacey/dreamy MMJ you're gonna dig this. Liking the sax touches on some of the songs. Bo's keys take center stage a couple times. Great shimmering backing vocals. The Waterfall had some standout tracks and some filler ones for me, and kinda had the loud quiet loud song sandwich approach. This one is more low-key, but grooves consistently all the way through. Actually not sure how excited I would be about a lot of these songs live, but I'm loving the studio versions.

ChiefOKONO

Nice, thank you!  That was the one I had seen before.

Quote from: parkervb on Jul 08, 2020, 12:51 PM
Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Jul 08, 2020, 12:45 PMoh, hi!

Does anyone have that photo handy from the Waterfall recording sessions with some of the other tracks listed on there that they can re-post?  I believe I saw it on this forum a while back.

I was wondering if there were different ones there than appear on the Waterfall II?

here is a link to a IG post from Tucker with some of the songs listed:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm_q_0kh9RT/

I believe there is another one running around the webz somewhere too

Nikkogino

Quote from: Osistheones on Jul 09, 2020, 11:12 AMThe front end of this thing has Brian Wilson/Beach Boys dreamy trop pop vibes. Kinda reminds me of the psychedelic soul of Eternally Even, but with more structured songs. And oh yeah they gave Magic Bullet the Evil Urges treatment and it's a definite improvement. Bill Withers is a great description of Run It, can't come up with anything better there. Wasted is the rocky-est song here, and are those Quick Like a Flash licks towards the end?? Welcome Home is pretty true to the OG version, maybe heavier on the pedal steel. If you like mellow spacey/dreamy MMJ you're gonna dig this. Liking the sax touches on some of the songs. Bo's keys take center stage a couple times. Great shimmering backing vocals. The Waterfall had some standout tracks and some filler ones for me, and kinda had the loud quiet loud song sandwich approach. This one is more low-key, but grooves consistently all the way through. Actually not sure how excited I would be about a lot of these songs live, but I'm loving the studio versions.
Heavier on the pedal steep?!?!?!   Um, yes.  Is the last track the same as the Roadies version or did it get spruced up like Magic Bullet?

Erad

Listening a bit now and i thought Magic Bullet sounded the same, need to listen again.  Welcome Home for sure sounds different.  Hearing added instrumentation before it kicks in and the drums for sure different agreed.

Come Closer

Quote from: Erad on Jul 09, 2020, 11:25 AMListening a bit now and i thought Magic Bullet sounded the same, need to listen again.  Welcome Home for sure sounds different.  Hearing added instrumentation before it kicks in and the drums for sure different agreed.
I thought they gave Magic Bullet some stank, but admittedly it's been a while since I heard the OG.