The Waterfall II

Started by johnnYYac, Jul 06, 2020, 01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiefOKONO

Great post... I agree and things are making more sense and feeling better now.  I'm so happy that they took a sort of hiatus instead of breaking up like some bands do when they can't take it anymore!!!

Quote from: parkervb on Jul 16, 2020, 04:10 PM
Quote from: Woody on Jul 16, 2020, 12:22 PMI think the decision to play Spinning was a great one. Speaks to the genesis of the decision to release this record and clearly reflects what many of us our dealing with right now in our everyday lives.

i also appreciate this song for how plainly personal Jim is on it. Honestly, the last 5 years of the band make more sense to me after listening to it.  It makes me appreciate this record even more and the fact we have a new record to look forward to (at some point). There was a joy to the Port Chester/Forest Hills shows last year that I had not seen in them in a few years and now it makes sense: Jim was beat up physically and emotionally. It seems as if he's put a lot of effort into healing himself and I hope that the next record reflects that as well.

Mr. White

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Jul 16, 2020, 06:32 PMThanks, I didn't know they played it.  Just found it here, wow!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJdWZ8vwfeU

Quote from: subinai on Jul 16, 2020, 11:49 AM
Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Jul 16, 2020, 11:43 AMWhere can I hear Throwback??

aside from the JJ solo album, the band played it on their 2016 ACL appearance.

Here's the full show (even the songs not broadcast) 1 hour and 44 minutes long. It's Unlisted on my YouTube channel but can be accessed in the Playlist section under My Morning Jacket Full Shows. I also have the broadcast part that's only 26 minutes long.

ACL Broadcast Part
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

MMJCOBRA

Last post tonight.  Wasted into Welcome Home works on multiple levels. Incredible.

mdgsolo

Waterfall II is MMJ's Pet Sounds.  Just beautiful.

Lucius

Random thought/pointless post but every time I listen to Welcome Home it makes me think of the song Superheroes from The Rocky Horror Picture Show and how awesome it would be if WH had a similar ending to that with Jim + Carl wailing away together. I'm loving that one right now though, makes a perfect break surrounded by more lively MMJ songs. Had a run of Feel You > Welcome Home > The Bear > The Way That He Sings > Wasted > Rollin Back > Run Thru tonight and it was heaven!
it wouldn't be a party without you

johnnYYac

Whoa. That's more like it! I was surprised, when I started this thread, that no one beat me to it.

I wrote this a few hours after the YouTube listening party, July 10-11.

Notes on The Waterfall II

My 1st listen was this morning in a dental office waiting room. The 2nd was the listening party tonight on MMJ's YouTube channel. The third, as I write this, is on my screened porch around midnight to 3am, very stoned. 🤪

I didn't listen to Carl... I got carried away.

Spinning My Wheels - great song, great lyrics, though I'd like to SEE the lyrics for clarity. Sounds great after the 3rd listen.

Still Thinkin - a blend of Beach Boys and Beatles that breaks new ground. A trippy outro that will slay live. Picture Red Rocks and disco ball... a hint of the 3-note progression Carl uses later on Feel You.

Climbing The Ladder - the opening pedal steel is a bit assaultive, at first. A fun song that settles down while keeping your toes tappin and your head boppin. The return to the cartoonish pedal steel midsong is pleasant, the blow softened. The drop and return in tempo at the 2/3 mark is purty cool.... OK. I like the silly pedal steel. A lot.

Feel You - a great showcase of Jim's vocal talent and range. Contains the riff from the teaser they released earlier in the week, which I LOVED. That 3-note progression put to work, reminiscent of the guitar work in The Waterfall. After 3 listens, I still wish the very ending was cleaner. Bo's intentional off-course piano work obscures a pleasant fade out.

Beautiful Love - I believe Jim is rocking an OM-84 Omnichord on this one, based in part on its presence in the visual part of tonight's listening party on YouTube. Love the Mr. Rogers intro. The raunchy guitar break will grow on stage, a monster waiting.

Magic Bullet - released as a single in 2016, its nice to have it in the context of this album. Its a groovy take on "salvation" from hate and violence.

Run It - I could see this as a Dead tune, with Jerry singing. That's high praise, on two levels. 😉

Wasted - its like a metal choir, led by Jim, everyone in robes behind the altar in church. Picture it... Carl, Bo, Tom, and Patrick off to the side, also wearing robes while playing. Then comes the break. The congregation grooves as the church darkens with flashing lights. Then Preservation Hall Jazz Band comes up the aisle from the back of the church. The lights in the church return to normal, as MMJ and PHJB take us home. Credit to Tracy for pointing out the Run Thru-like break. Also, kudos to Robb for predicting we'll get "end of Wasted" on setlists in the future. LOL

Welcome Home - originally released in late 2011 as part of the digital-only holiday iTunes Session EP. Recorded live in a studio in Europe, I'm not sure if this is a new recording from the Stinson Beach sessions. I've always loved this tune and think it would have made a better closer for the album. Great fingering in the opening notes. Its refreshing to hear this version (I'm now convinced this is a 2014-2015 recording) as not necessarily a holiday song. I love the balance of lead and backing vocals in the 2nd line of the 1st chorus - and, later, throughout - which also led me to believe this is a more recent version (I'll have to give the 2011 version a whirl after this... stay tuned). Another could-be Dead tune. The ending vocals further convince me this is a newer version, as Jim is more expressive in delivering the final line of the final chorus. The song feels like the band is welcoming us back to their music, even if it is with 5-9 year-old tunes.

The First Time - the Only Memories Remain and Slow Slow Tune of The Waterfall II. It should trade places with Welcome Home, a better closer IMHO. Originally appeared in the one-and-done Showtime series Roadies in 2016, which I happened to watch religiously, without expecting an appearance from Jim (episode 4 - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4l066z and episode 10 - https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=1269966896355066&_rdr) or this song in its soundtrack.

-------

I played Welcome Home after The First Time and definitely think the album ends better with those two songs switched in order on the tracklist.

PS - I just went and listened to the 2011 version of Welcome Home (https://youtu.be/MArAOrEtkQs). They definitely re-recorded it in Stinson Beach.

I must say, The Waterfall was an attempt at excellence that overshot its target. The Waterfall II feels more organic, more genuine. I seem to be unable to dislike anything Jim James touches ('cept Sec Walkin) but I would place TWII far higher on my ranking of MMJ studio albums.

1. It Still Moves
2. Z (or At Dawn)
3. At Dawn (or Tennessee Fire)
4. Tennessee Fire (or Z)
5. The Waterfall II
6. Chocolate and Ice EP
7. Evil Urges
8. The Waterfall
9. Circuital
(always subject to change)

There's another new album, recorded and awaiting mastering. I was also told, some time ago, we should expect a live album "soon". More releases on nuggs coming, using a list of shows you all requested that Carl asked me to curate from Facebook and Forum posts.

Thanks for reading. Stay home, wear a mask in public, wash your hands or use hand sanitizer frequently. Listen to state and local health officials. Live to hear the next creation of My Morning Jacket to be released into the wild!

Love and peace. ❤☮
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

jimsflyingv

I have to say the albums grows to me after several listenings. Not the best work but also not the worst. I feel it is a very relaxed and slow record. So I am looking forward to hear live versions of the songs.

My place in an album ranking would be:

1. It still moves
2. Z
3. Evil Urges (first MMJ Album I bought after seeing Jim in "I am not there" and got in touch with the band/Jim for the first time and made me a fan- although Highly Suspicous really turned me off and is still a song I skip when I don´t play the Album on vinyl).
4. At Dawn
5. The Waterfall 1
6. The Waterfall 2
7. Circuital
8. TTF (Songs are great but I agree with what @Jbpats said in Post #241)

Quote from: mdgsolo on Jul 20, 2020, 01:50 AMWaterfall II is MMJ's Pet Sounds.  Just beautiful.
Good comparison  especially "Still Thinking"

rkwedge

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jul 21, 2020, 11:58 PMThere's another new album, recorded and awaiting mastering. I was also told, some time ago, we should expect a live album "soon". More releases on nuggs coming, using a list of shows you all requested that Carl asked me to curate from Facebook and Forum posts.
I like the sound of this. MMJ bringing some relief to the crappy situation this country is currently in.
Good to hear from you johnnYYac.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

parkervb

QuoteThat's high praise, on two levels. 😉

well played lol
Don't you ever turn it off

ChiefOKONO

Thank you for this long and detailed post... welcome back!!!  Loved reading it and that is great news about the live album!!

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jul 21, 2020, 11:58 PMWhoa. That's more like it! I was surprised, when I started this thread, that no one beat me to it.

My 1st listen was this morning in a dental office waiting room. The 2nd was the listening party tonight on MMJ's YouTube channel. The third, as I write this, is on my screened porch around midnight to 3am, very stoned. 🤪

Spinning My Wheels - great song, great lyrics, though I'd like to SEE the lyrics for clarity. Sounds great after the 3rd listen.

Still Thinkin - a blend of Beach Boys and Beatles that breaks new ground. A trippy outro that will slay live. Picture Red Rocks and disco ball... a hint of the 3-note progression Carl uses later on Feel You.

Climbing The Ladder - the opening pedal steel is a bit assaultive, at first. A fun song that settles down while keeping your toes tappin and your head boppin. The return to the cartoonish pedal steel midsong is pleasant, the blow softened. The drop and return in tempo at the 2/3 mark is purty cool.... OK. I like the silly pedal steel. A lot.

Feel You - a great showcase of Jim's vocal talent and range. Contains the riff from the teaser they released earlier in the week, which I LOVED. That 3-note progression put to work, reminiscent of the guitar work in The Waterfall. After 3 listens, I still wish the very ending was cleaner. Bo's intentional off-course piano work obscures a pleasant fade out.

Beautiful Love - I believe Jim is rocking an OM-84 Omnichord on this one, based in part on its presence in the visual part of tonight's listening party on YouTube. Love the Mr. Rogers intro. The raunchy guitar break will grow on stage, a monster waiting.

Magic Bullet - released as a single in 2016, its nice to have it in the context of this album. Its a groovy take on "salvation" from hate and violence.

Run It - I could see this as a Dead tune, with Jerry singing. That's high praise, on two levels. 😉

Wasted - its like a metal choir, led by Jim, everyone in robes behind the altar in church. Picture it... Carl, Bo, Tom, and Patrick off to the side, also wearing robes while playing. Then comes the break. The congregation grooves as the church darkens with flashing lights. Then Preservation Hall Jazz Band comes up the aisle from the back of the church. The lights in the church return to normal, as MMJ and PHJB take us home. Credit to Tracy for pointing out the Run Thru-like break. Also, kudos to Robb for predicting we'll get "end of Wasted" on setlists in the future. LOL

Welcome Home - originally released in late 2011 as part of the digital-only holiday iTunes Session EP. Recorded live in a studio in Europe, I'm not sure if this is a new recording from the Stinson Beach sessions. I've always loved this tune and think it would have made a better closer for the album. Great fingering in the opening notes. Its refreshing to hear this version (I'm now convinced this is a 2014-2015 recording) as not necessarily a holiday song. I love the balance of lead and backing vocals in the 2nd line of the 1st chorus - and, later, throughout - which also led me to believe this is a more recent version (I'll have to give the 2011 version a whirl after this... stay tuned). Another could-be Dead tune. The ending vocals further convince me this is a newer version, as Jim is more expressive in delivering the final line of the final chorus. The song feels like the band is welcoming us back to their music, even if it is with 5-9 year-old tunes.

The First Time - the Only Memories Remain and Slow Slow Tune of The Waterfall II. It should trade places with Welcome Home, a better closer IMHO. Originally appeared in the one-and-done Showtime series Roadies in 2016, which I happened to watch religiously, without expecting an appearance from Jim (episode 4 - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4l066z and episode 10 - https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=1269966896355066&_rdr) or this song in its soundtrack.

-------

I played Welcome Home after The First Time and definitely think the album ends better with those two songs switched in order on the tracklist.

PS - I just went and listened to the 2011 version of Welcome Home (https://youtu.be/MArAOrEtkQs). They definitely re-recorded it in Stinson Beach.

I must say, The Waterfall was an attempt at excellence that overshot its target. The Waterfall II feels more organic, more genuine. I seem to be unable to dislike anything Jim James touches ('cept Sec Walkin) but I would place TWII far higher on my ranking of MMJ studio albums.

1. It Still Moves
2. Z (or At Dawn)
4. Tennessee Fire (or Z)
5. The Waterfall II
6. Chocolate and Ice EP
7. Evil Urges
8. The Waterfall
9. Circuital

There's another new album, recorded and awaiting mastering. I was also told, some time ago, we should expect a live album "soon". More releases on nuggs coming, using a list of shows you all requested that Carl asked me to curate from Facebook and Forum posts.

Thanks for reading. Stay home, wear a mask in public, wash your hands or use hand sanitizer frequently. Listen to state and local health officials. Live to hear the next creation of My Morning Jacket to be released into the wild!

Love and peace. ❤☮

gardenparty

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Jul 22, 2020, 01:03 PMThank you for this long and detailed post... welcome back!!!  Loved reading it and that is great news about the live album!!

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jul 21, 2020, 11:58 PMWhoa. That's more like it! I was surprised, when I started this thread, that no one beat me to it.

-------

1. It Still Moves
2. Z (or At Dawn)
4. Tennessee Fire (or Z)
5. The Waterfall II
6. Chocolate and Ice EP
7. Evil Urges
8. The Waterfall
9. Circuital

Love and peace. ❤☮

Sweet!

APR

Really great review YYac.   And I appreciate how you sprinkled in other trivia and news.  I also like everything that Jim touches, and when the rest of MMJ join him it goes to next level.  I was overdoing listening to Waterfall 2 and didn't want to get sick of it.  So I took a little break. I'm looking forward to your next post. 

WeeksByDays

Evil Urges ---> Beautiful Love.

I hear so many similarities in these two. Anyone else?

RobRoy286

Quote from: WeeksByDays on Jul 28, 2020, 01:09 AMEvil Urges ---> Beautiful Love.

Musically? Lyrically? Thematically?

I'm not sure I'm getting it.

Lucius

I always thought* Evil Urges was Jim telling the world that he's bi

* - wishful thinking

(Also getting the same vibes from Run It)

Can't say I grasp the Beautiful Love connection though
it wouldn't be a party without you

Lonndown27

Geaux Johnny! A live album finally?? YES! We need one right now...especially all the madness going down. Glad you enjoyed The Waterfall II brother! hit me up on the DMs! love what your ambassadorship has supplied for the fanbase, thank you and also love your "Nuke Covid" footer too, let's all do our part and end this awful, hideous virus
 but man oh man alive i can use anything Jacket. My computer with all the old Jacket stuff has aged out and taken everything with it but I'm using archive and getting some from Nugs to replace the lost recordings. It's so funny re-discovering it all, time and time again like "oh yeah I fucking love THIS version of Lay Low!"

-------

1. It Still Moves
2. Z (or At Dawn)
4. Tennessee Fire (or Z)
5. The Waterfall II
6. Chocolate and Ice EP
7. Evil Urges
8. The Waterfall
9. Circuital

Love and peace. ❤☮
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

WeeksByDays

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Jul 28, 2020, 04:28 PM
Quote from: WeeksByDays on Jul 28, 2020, 01:09 AMEvil Urges ---> Beautiful Love.

Parts of Beautiful sound like a slower version to me. During the lyrics in Beautiful

"Why is my bitter heart so demanding?
So unforgiving of you?
Why can't I be more understanding?"

and in Evil Urges

"If its all the same we're tired of waiting come on then
And dedicate your love to any woman or man
No racial boundary lines, no social subdivisions-"

Its just a small part, but when I first heard Beautiful, this part reminded me of something I couldn't quite place and after another listen of EU it clicked.

RobRoy286

Quote from: WeeksByDays on Jul 28, 2020, 10:19 PM
Quote from: RobRoy286 on Jul 28, 2020, 04:28 PM

Parts of Beautiful sound like a slower version to me. During the lyrics in Beautiful

"Why is my bitter heart so demanding?
So unforgiving of you?
Why can't I be more understanding?"

and in Evil Urges

"If its all the same we're tired of waiting come on then
And dedicate your love to any woman or man
No racial boundary lines, no social subdivisions-"

Its just a small part, but when I first heard Beautiful, this part reminded me of something I couldn't quite place and after another listen of EU it clicked.
Oh I totally see (hear) it now! Good call.

I gotta say, Beautiful Love is one of my favorites on the whole album. I know it's short and simple but it really just hits me the right way. I hope they extend it live.

Lonndown27

BL aint my jam. just can't get past how badly it doesn't work. But that's fine i've embraced the album's experimentation and am fine with it because these tracks may speak to me years down the road. But stuff like Spinnin, Thinkin, Run It (a really weird title out of everything it could be titled but ok), Wasted, Feel You, even Climbin the Ladder i love its Houses of the Holyisms.

There are some weak tracks, BL taking the cake and eating it too.
BUT......that said must also be said that this isn't a B sides album. I'm more on the side of the Waterfall II being worth more than that and it IS. It takes its place, no matter how bizarre it may be, some of these tracks will grow upon us.

And for the fact that Welcome Home, Run It, Magic Bullet, Wasted and Feel You are in the Top 50-75 Jacket songs, I'd put WH at my number 40, Run It around number 60 for now, Wasted and Feel You both in the top 25 and Magic Bullet somewhere in the 50s.

If this is the band's second helpings than just wait for the new record...that's gonna be the real facemelter. There's about 4 songs over 7 minutes on the band's upcoming record and it really IS live...not "Circuital" live...but REALLY live....shhhhh gonna be magic
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018