Main Menu

Slims

Started by MPP, Aug 16, 2020, 12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPP

Not sure if it's been mentioned by anyone here yet.  Just learned that Slims in SF has closed, as of March actually.  There was an early 2000's Jacket show from there listed on CC's thread a few weeks back, I think.

Boz Scaggs started and was part owner.  Very cool place, about 500 capacity, bit of a weird setup due to the narrow long rectangular space, still pretty good sound.  Was primarily blues first few years, but from 1992-early 2000's heyday the biggest punk/alt rock/metal bands played it.  Some before they got big, but the big acts from the bay area always came back for special shows.  Prince did a late night pop up show, after a big concert in Oakland.  I remember waiting it out till midnight, but couldn't get in.  Bowie and the Stones did 'secret' shows there during arena tours. Metallica did a fan club show late 90's.

Anyone been?  If so, have a favorite show memory?  I saw many great shows there in the 90's through early 2000's. Tragically Hip, School of Fish (look them up, cool band), Los Lobos, Elvin Bishop, Tommy Castro, Gin Blossoms, Built to Spill.  I didn't see these, but 1993 was an awesome year - Radiohead (just after Creep released), Green Day (Berkley boys, months before Dookie), No Doubt when still SoCal punk, Meat Puppets, Uncle Tupelo, Beck (actually early 94).

But my favorite Slims show, and maybe best concert score ever?  Pearl Jam, May 1993.  Before the release of Vs, which they had just finished recording up the road in Nicaso CA.  Happened to be in the club the night before with my gf for a local band show, overheard someone ask about a rumor that PJ was playing the next night.  Asked the bouncer if true, he says ''we're closed tomorrow night'.  Wink wink.  Showed up and got in line around 3pm, still no announcement but 50 people already there.  Finally, wrist bands given, and an hour before doors some guy in a Halloween mask walks the crowd line handing out flyers.  Vedder, I realize later when he's on stage with the mask on.  Lol  Needless to say, a great fucking show.  First time played live for all the Vs songs.  They ran out of songs to play, did some covers.  Set list linked below, also a 2008 SFGate story on Slims 20th anniversary with cool concert history summation. 

It's pretty much been a dead scene for rock (and blues clubs) since that 2008 article, for Slims and all of SF due to the changing demographics and high costs. SF had one of the great live music scenes of any city during that stretch.  One of the best live albums ever, Okonokos, from SF's Fillmore.  I could do another too-long post on the great shows seen there ;-)

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl-jam/1993/slims-san-francisco-ca-2bd65c92.html

https://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/Boz-Scaggs-nightclub-Slim-s-20-years-old-3263369.php

walterfredo

That's a super bummer, I hadn't heard that. Only saw one show there, Pork Tornado (Jon Fishman (phish drummer) side band) in 2001. Was definitely a legendary venue.

CC

Sad to hear. MMJ headlined 2x in 2003 and were support 3x in 2002, for Doves, Ben Kweller and Eyes Adrift.

ChiefOKONO

Very sad to hear... never made it to Slims but love seeing music at the Fillmore, been many times including for OKONOKOS! :):)

Thanks for that post... sounded like you had some amazing times there!!!

It's such a bummer that a bunch of live venues will probably be closing because of this crisis.
I heard that the Troubadour is in trouble and also Saint Rocke in LA already closed. :(:(:(:(:(

MPP

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Aug 17, 2020, 01:17 PMVery sad to hear... never made it to Slims but love seeing music at the Fillmore, been many times including for OKONOKOS! :):)

Thanks for that post... sounded like you had some amazing times there!!!

It's such a bummer that a bunch of live venues will probably be closing because of this crisis.
I heard that the Troubadour is in trouble and also Saint Rocke in LA already closed. :(:(:(:(:(

That's so true, afraid there will be many more stories like this in the coming months, unfortunately.  Wow, hadn't heard the Troubadour difficulties, that would be a major historical club closing!  Saint Rocke is/was a cool little club too.

Fillmore is such an amazing venue, even though it's not the original Fillmore West building, you can feel the history when there. Bummed I didn't know about Jacket when living in SF. It kills me every time I listen to think I missed the Okonokos Fillmore shows. Glad you were there though!!  You're part of recorded musical history, very cool.

Forgot to mention the best part of the Slims/Pearl Jam story - ticket was $5.

walterfredo

Missed okonokos but did see NYE 06 at the Fillmore. Probably seen 50 Shows there over the years, including Jim solo. One of the best no doubt.

Really hope we don't see a steady stream of legendary venues going under. I'd like to think that many that do will re-emerge when this is behind us. 

APR

That's sad about Slims.  I'm on the East coast and haven't thought about that venue for a while.    When I saw the post, the first thing I thought of was was my old Pearl Jam bootleg cassette from that very show MPP attended.  It was a great set and the sound was way better than most of the other Pearl Jam live stuff floating around then.  Amazing you were there MPP!

MPP

Quote from: walterfredo on Aug 17, 2020, 11:32 PMMissed okonokos but did see NYE 06 at the Fillmore. Probably seen 50 Shows there over the years, including Jim solo. One of the best no doubt.

Really hope we don't see a steady stream of legendary venues going under. I'd like to think that many that do will re-emerge when this is behind us. 

Walterfredo - 50 shows, that's awesome.  Think I've been to around 20, none since I left 2010.  Love that giant overhead stage/crowd shot of the Who from Winterland early 70's they have hanging on the wall. Talk about poster art, the Fillmore was famous for that going back to the 60's. And free!

In DC now, walking distance to the new Anthem venue, beautiful mid-sized place.  Getting worried for IMP though, and all the independents across the country. Most of you on the east coast surely know they run Anthem, 9:30 Club and my nic, Merriweather Post, one of our favorite Jacket venues over here.  For those interested, here's a link to a good article on IMP from last year. 

https://www.pollstar.com/article/imp-a-thriving-independent-promoter-138461

APR - you have a bootleg of that Slims PJ show??! Being pre-digital, pre-cell phone era, have never seen audio, video or even still shots from it, would love to hear that show again.  It was amazing I got to see it, really lucked out just finding out about it.  By May 1993, and for the next couple years, they were about as hot as they ever got as a band.

APR

Quote from: MPP on Aug 18, 2020, 04:31 PM
Quote from: walterfredo on Aug 17, 2020, 11:32 PMMissed okonokos but did see NYE 06 at the Fillmore. Probably seen 50 Shows there over the years, including Jim solo. One of the best no doubt.

Walterfredo - 50 shows, that's awesome.  Think I've been to around 20, none since I left 2010.  Love that giant overhead stage/crowd shot of the Who from Winterland early 70's they have hanging on the wall. Talk about poster art, the Fillmore was famous for that going back to the 60's. And free!

In DC now, walking distance to the new Anthem venue, beautiful mid-sized place.  Getting worried for IMP though, and all the independents across the country. Most of you on the east coast surely know they run Anthem, 9:30 Club and my nic, Merriweather Post, one of our favorite Jacket venues over here.  For those interested, here's a link to a good article on IMP from last year. 

https://www.pollstar.com/article/imp-a-thriving-independent-promoter-138461

APR - you have a bootleg of that Slims PJ show??! Being pre-digital, pre-cell phone era, have never seen audio, video or even still shots from it, would love to hear that show again.  It was amazing I got to see it, really lucked out just finding out about it.  By May 1993, and for the next couple years, they were about as hot as they ever got as a band.

I doubt I have that tape anymore.  I had tons of bootlegs on tape but threw them out years ago when I moved.  I may have saved a few though so I'll check.  I bet it's online.  I'll click around and post a link if I find it.  I listened to it more than most of the tapes because the sound was really good.  I'm in DC too (actually in the burbs in Maryland).  The Anthem is a great venue.  And don't forget IMP's Lincoln Theater and U Street Music Hall which are also pretty cool.  I hope to meet you there whenever shows are back!

MPP

Quote from: APR on Aug 18, 2020, 07:49 PMI doubt I have that tape anymore.  I had tons of bootlegs on tape but threw them out years ago when I moved.  I may have saved a few though so I'll check.  I bet it's online.  I'll click around and post a link if I find it.  I listened to it more than most of the tapes because the sound was really good.  I'm in DC too (actually in the burbs in Maryland).  The Anthem is a great venue.  And don't forget IMP's Lincoln Theater and U Street Music Hall which are also pretty cool.  I hope to meet you there whenever shows are back!

Was just about to post and saw yours.  Found it up on archives, listening now!  Man, I can't tell you how happy I am you replied and mentioned the bootleg, would have never thought to look.  I see Better Man in the tracklist, did realize they played it, considering it didn't get released until Vitology.  A wiki article on it says - Slims 1993 was the first time PJ played it live! 

https://archive.org/details/Pearl_Jam_Bootleg_1993-05-13/1-12+Better+Man.mp3

Absolutely, when shows start again we should meet up for one, all those places are cool venues. We're practically neighbors.  I live at the Wharf, walking distance to Anthem.  Saw the Foo Fighters opener there, been back for many shows since.  Hoping we get a fall 2021 multi-night MMJ run!

APR

Quote from: MPP on Aug 18, 2020, 08:18 PM
Quote from: APR on Aug 18, 2020, 07:49 PMI doubt I have that tape anymore.  I had tons of bootlegs on tape but threw them out years ago when I moved.  I may have saved a few though so I'll check.  I bet it's online.  I'll click around and post a link if I find it.  I listened to it more than most of the tapes because the sound was really good.  I'm in DC too (actually in the burbs in Maryland).  The Anthem is a great venue.  And don't forget IMP's Lincoln Theater and U Street Music Hall which are also pretty cool.  I hope to meet you there whenever shows are back!

Was just about to post and saw yours.  Found it up on archives, listening now!  Man, I can't tell you how happy I am you replied and mentioned the bootleg, would have never thought to look.  I see Better Man in the tracklist, did realize they played it, considering it didn't get released until Vitology.  A wiki article on it says - Slims 1993 was the first time PJ played it live! 

https://archive.org/details/Pearl_Jam_Bootleg_1993-05-13/1-12+Better+Man.mp3

Absolutely, when shows start again we should meet up for one, all those places are cool venues. We're practically neighbors.  I live at the Wharf, walking distance to Anthem.  Saw the Foo Fighters opener there, been back for many shows since.  Hoping we get a fall 2021 multi-night MMJ run!

MMJ back to back nights at the Anthem is a dream at this point.  Hell, if we're dreaming let's go for a three nights stand. 

I'm glad you found that old PJ show.  I'm going to check out the archive link tonight.  My old tape didn't have the soundcheck.