2012:
MMJ played at Meadow Brook in Rochester Hills, MI
w/ Band of Horses

2015:
MMJ played at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Morrison, CO
special guest: Brandi Carlile
w/ Sylvan Esso

8/14/2011 Museum of Fine Arts

I was lucky enough to go the Museum if Fine Arts show (front row half in the shot on the right for those scoring at home).  One funny antidote is during one the songs where Jim was playing solo Carl was sitting in the corner under this large oil painting, and leaned into it enough to make it rock back and forth on the wall.  The expression on his face was priceless.  It was my wife's first MMJ experience and we followed it up with second row tix right in front of Jim for the Pavilion show.  And it was a Burwell poster to boot.  It was one hell of a day to say the least.

CC

ON AUGUST 15

2002:

MMJ played at The Khyber in Philadelphia, PA
w/ Man Planet, God the Band

2008:
MMJ played at Riverfront Park in Nashville, TN

2010:
MMJ played at Mile High Festival in Commerce City, CO

2012:
MMJ played at Echo Beach in Toronto, ON
special guest: Ben Bridwell
w/ Band of Horses

8/15/2008 Nashville

8/15/2012 Toronto

getinthevan

Quote from: CC on Aug 15, 2020, 01:11 AMON AUGUST 15

2008:
MMJ played at Riverfront Park in Nashville, TN

8/15/2008 Nashville

War Begun was such a huge bust out that night.  Just hearing it would have been enough, but those fireworks as it peaked made it fucking magical.  It's one of my favorite live moments I've ever seen.   
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

CC

ON AUGUST 16

2002:

MMJ opened for Ben Kweller at Nightclub 9:30 in Washington, DC

2008:
MMJ played at Waterfront Park in Louisville, KY
w/ Louisville Leopard Percussionists

2011:
MMJ played at Meadow Brook in Rochester Hills, MI
w/ Neko Case

8/16/2002 Washington (photo by Megan Kreh)

8/16/2008 Louisville

CC

ON AUGUST 17

2002:

MMJ opened for Ben Kweller at Bowery Ballroom in New York City, NY

2006:
MMJ played at Pukkelpop Festival in Hasselt, Belgium

2010:
MMJ played at Charter One Pavilion in Chicago, IL

2011:
MMJ played at PNC Pavilion at Riverbend in Cincinnati, OH
special guests: Daniel Martin Moore, Neko Case

2012:
MMJ played at The Mann Center in Philadelphia, PA
w/ Band of Horses

8/17/2010 Chicago

8/17/2012 Philadelphia

robb

Quote from: MPP on Aug 13, 2020, 03:19 PM
Quote from: Murph on Aug 13, 2020, 09:36 AM
Quote from: CC on Aug 13, 2020, 04:51 AMON AUGUST 13

2011:

MMJ played at Kahbang Festival in Bangor, ME
with Pooch on drums

Lol... Didn't Patrick eat bad Lobster or something and couldn't play that night?  Another example of the band sticking it out and making the best of a bad situation.

That's some funny sh*t, Pooch with the T-shirt lobster reference. 

You're so right.  I'll bet there's many stories from others here, similar to this one or Mass MoCa.  Not only sticking it out when most bands would likely just cancel and refund, but putting on a great show too.  With humor!  New England gigs seem problematic for them.  Lol

pooch still had that shirt on a couple days later in detroit

some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

MPP

Quote from: robb on Aug 17, 2020, 06:44 AMpooch still had that shirt on a couple days later in detroit

Thanks for that photo! Was wondering what it said, could only see 'lobsters' in the Portland vid.

CC

ON AUGUST 18

2008:

MMJ played at The Uptown Theater in Kansas City, MO

2012:
MMJ played at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD
w/ Band of Horses

subinai

Quote from: CC on Aug 18, 2020, 01:21 AMON AUGUST 18

2008:

2012:
w/ Band of Horses

that merriweather show is high on my wishlist for an offical bootleg.

APR

Quote from: subinai on Aug 18, 2020, 09:25 AM
Quote from: CC on Aug 18, 2020, 01:21 AMON AUGUST 18

2008:

2012:
w/ Band of Horses

that merriweather show is high on my wishlist for an offical bootleg.

One of my favorite concerts I have ever attended by any band.  Run Thru in the middle of Cobra was insane.  Casbah to end was a blast!

ericm

No doubt that MPP show was a great one!  :thumbsup:

Truth is though, I think I can say that about every one of their MPP shows. It's hard to put a finger on why exactly, and I'm sure it's more than one thing but the shows there always kick ass.

The one in 12 is right up there with the best of the five I've seen at MPP, no question.
"Where's Jim going?"

MPP

Quote from: ericm on Aug 18, 2020, 03:00 PMNo doubt that MPP show was a great one!  :thumbsup:

Truth is though, I think I can say that about every one of their MPP shows. It's hard to put a finger on why exactly, and I'm sure it's more than one thing but the shows there always kick ass.

The one in 12 is right up there with the best of the five I've seen at MPP, no question.

You know I'm going to agree with you on that, ericm!  :thumbsup: Think I read a quote from Patrick before the 2017 show, saying how much they liked playing MPP and I believe mentioning the history of the place.  They seem to take it up to 11 when playing venues with a rich rock legends history - RR, Forest Hills, Cap Theater, MPP, etc. 

Not to suggest they let up otherwise.  Thing is, I bet you could replace the venue name with any, and if they played it someone thinks it's the best show they saw at that place.

ericm

Quote from: MPP on Aug 18, 2020, 05:54 PM
Quote from: ericm on Aug 18, 2020, 03:00 PMNo doubt that MPP show was a great one!  :thumbsup:

You know I'm going to agree with you on that, ericm!  :thumbsup: Think I read a quote from Patrick before the 2017 show, saying how much they liked playing MPP and I believe mentioning the history of the place.  They seem to take it up to 11 when playing venues with a rich rock legends history - RR, Forest Hills, Cap Theater, MPP, etc. 

Not to suggest they let up otherwise.  Thing is, I bet you could replace the venue name with any, and if they played it someone thinks it's the best show they saw at that place.

I like the taking it up to 11 call.

No question these guys are one of if not the best live band out there and always bring it. I can honestly say I have never seen them mail it in or even come close to that.  :cool:

It's just some shows rise above and it's not putting other shows down by saying that. It's more high praise to say some are 11's compared to others that are 9's and 10's.  :thumbsup:  I'm a big Bruce fan and have seen a ton of his shows. Always a great show but there are some that stand out as above the others just like some Jacket shows do.

MPP to me is one place that always stands out. I'm sure the history plays into it considering all the greats who have played there but I think the GA Pit there at Jacket shows really has an effect. It's always jam packed and rocking the hell out and I think the band and rest of the venue feed off of that.
"Where's Jim going?"

Come Closer

I think before one of the MPP shows Tommy said it was one of his favorite venues and that it was like playing inside a wooden whale or something to that effect. It might've been in an interview before the 2012 show. I actually don't love the pit there as much as being towards the front of the pavilion seats b/c yes they oversell it/security ain't great. View and sound is better from the seats. 2012 was a fun one and is deserving of a nugs release.

ericm

Quote from: Osistheones on Aug 18, 2020, 06:38 PMI think before one of the MPP shows Tommy said it was one of his favorite venues and that it was like playing inside a wooden whale or something to that effect. It might've been in an interview before the 2012 show. I actually don't love the pit there as much as being towards the front of the pavilion seats b/c yes they oversell it/security ain't great. View and sound is better from the seats. 2012 was a fun one and is deserving of a nugs release.

Totally agree about the pit being oversold there and security too. I've had 1st row off the floor aisle seats a couple of times and the line onto the floor never really seems to stop even when it's already jammed.

Not my cup of tea to be down in there unless I'm on the rail which I've been fortunate to do a couple of shows there. Sounds crazy but it's really the only place down there you have some space. Standing on that metal platform holding up the rail isn't wide enough for two people deep and at most you'll get someone's foot on it but at least you don't have someone right up your back.
"Where's Jim going?"

CC

ON AUGUST 19

2006:

MMJ played at V Festival in Chelmsford, UK

2008:
MMJ played at Stir Cove in Council Bluffs, IA

2010:
MMJ opened for Tom Petty at Comcast Center in Mansfield, MA

2011:
MMJ played at Tuscaloosa Amphitheater in Tuscaloosa, AL
w/ Neko Case

2012:
MMJ played at Williamsburg Park in Brooklyn, NY
w/ Shabazz Palaces

8/19/2011 Tuscaloosa

8/19/2012 Brooklyn

CC

ON AUGUST 20

2003:

MMJ opened for Foo Fighters at The Mean Fiddler in London, UK

2006:
MMJ played at V Festival in Staffordshire, UK

2010:
MMJ played at Champlain Valley Lawn in Burlington, VT
w/ Grace Potter

2011:
MMJ played at Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre in Alpharetta, GA
w/ Neko Case

8/20/2011 Soundcheck Party, Alpharetta

Murph

Quote from: CC on Aug 19, 2020, 01:13 AMON AUGUST 19

2012:
MMJ played at Williamsburg Park in Brooklyn, NY
w/ Shabazz Palaces

8/19/2012 Brooklyn

This Brooklyn show was memorable for me for a few reasons.  1 - First acid experience.  2 - Their cover of "I Could Never Take the Place of your Man", which has always been one of my 2/3 favorite covers that they do.  I remember thinking Shabazz Palaces were the worst opening act I've ever seen, at any show, ever. LOL

MPP

Quote from: Murph on Aug 20, 2020, 09:12 AMThis Brooklyn show was memorable for me for a few reasons.  1 - First acid experience.  2 - Their cover of "I Could Never Take the Place of your Man", which has always been one of my 2/3 favorite covers that they do.  I remember thinking Shabazz Palaces were the worst opening act I've ever seen, at any show, ever. LOL

Should have popped the acid sooner, maybe?  Lol

rkwedge

Quote from: Murph on Aug 20, 2020, 09:12 AMI remember thinking Shabazz Palaces were the worst opening act I've ever seen, at any show, ever. LOL
I seen them the next month in Redmond, WA, thought the exact same thing. Thank God MMJ came out and killed it with special appearance by Johnny Quaid and made me completely forget about Shabazz Palaces.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes