Main Menu

On This Day

Started by CC, Apr 29, 2020, 03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericm

Brooklyn was another fantastic show and a great end to our three night mid Atlantic run of shows. Loved the Prince cover and It's About Twilight Now too.

I just wished the logistics were better. We went from Philly down to MPP and then all the way back up to Brooklyn. Would've been great if they started in Brooklyn and worked south or started at MPP and worked north.

Maybe I was just tired and a bit hung over after partying and the two rocking out shows the nights before but I still remember that drive from MPP to Brooklyn as being one long pain in the ass.  :grin:
"Where's Jim going?"

sillyboob

Quote from: Murph on Aug 20, 2020, 09:12 AM
Quote from: CC on Aug 19, 2020, 01:13 AMON AUGUST 19

2012:
MMJ played at Williamsburg Park in Brooklyn, NY
w/ Shabazz Palaces

8/19/2012 Brooklyn

This Brooklyn show was memorable for me for a few reasons.  1 - First acid experience.  2 - Their cover of "I Could Never Take the Place of your Man", which has always been one of my 2/3 favorite covers that they do.  I remember thinking Shabazz Palaces were the worst opening act I've ever seen, at any show, ever. LOL

Ahhh yes, we always remember our first time.  Mine was 1992, seeing Primal Scream at the Hollywood Palladium.  Good times.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

subinai

Quote from: ericm on Aug 20, 2020, 10:54 AMBrooklyn was another fantastic show and a great end to our three night mid Atlantic run of shows. Loved the Prince cover and It's About Twilight Now too.

I just wished the logistics were better. We went from Philly down to MPP and then all the way back up to Brooklyn. Would've been great if they started in Brooklyn and worked south or started at MPP and worked north.

Maybe I was just tired and a bit hung over after partying and the two rocking out shows the nights before but I still remember that drive from MPP to Brooklyn as being one long pain in the ass.  :grin:

haha i did the same run and i was exhausted after the brooklyn show lol

CC

ON AUGUST 21

2008:

MMJ played at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Denver, CO
w/ The Black Keys

2010:
MMJ opened for Tom Petty at Comcast Center in Mansfield, MA

2011:
MMJ played at Time Warner Cable Uptown Amphitheatre in Charlotte, NC
w/ Neko Case

2012:
MMJ played at Stage AE in Pittsburgh, PA
w/ Band of Horses

8/21/2012 Pittsburgh

CC

ON AUGUST 22

2003:

MMJ opened for Doves at North Wales Theatre in Llandudno, UK

2006:
MMJ played at Rescue Rooms in Nottingham, UK

2012:
MMJ played at Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Chicago, IL
w/ Band of Horses

8/22/2012 Chicago

CC

ON AUGUST 23

2003:

MMJ played at Reading Festival in Reading, UK

2006:
MMJ played at Academy 2 in Manchester, UK

2008:
MMJ played at Palladium Ballroom in Dallas, TX
special guest: Erykah Badu

2011:
MMJ played at The Mann Center for the Performing Arts in Philadelphia, PA
w/ Neko Case

8/23/2008 Dallas

ericm

And there it is, the Philly Mann earthquake show!  :wink:
"Where's Jim going?"

CC

ON AUGUST 24

2003:

MMJ played at Leeds Festival in Leeds, UK

2008:
MMJ played at Stubb's in Austin, TX

2010:
MMJ opened for Tom Petty at Izod Center in East Rutherford, NJ

2011:
MMJ played at nTelos Wireless Pavilion - Charlottesville, VA

2012:
MMJ played at Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre in Alpharetta, GA
w/ Band of Horses

8/24/2008 Austin

Cameron

Stubb's was the first date night for my wife and I after our oldest was born. She just started 7th grade and now I feel old.

Come Closer

MPP

Quote from: ericm on Aug 23, 2020, 08:29 AMAnd there it is, the Philly Mann earthquake show!  :wink:

Quote from: Cameron on Aug 24, 2020, 09:43 AMStubb's was the first date night for my wife and I after our oldest was born. She just started 7th grade and now I feel old.

I love checking this thread! Random tour dates come to life when reading everyone's cool stories about their show experiences.   

ChiefOKONO

I agree... this has been such a fun thread to check out during this live music DROUGHT!

ericm

Quote from: MPP on Aug 24, 2020, 12:53 PMI love checking this thread! Random tour dates come to life when reading everyone's cool stories about their show experiences. 

Ahh man I'm glad you do because I had a nice little story I wanted to post a couple of days ago about my first forum get together at a show. It was at Champlain Valley Lawn in Burlington, VT on 08/20/2010

There were quite a few Jersey Jacket fans on this board back then and several of us decided to meet up at this show. We get there and look around wondering where the hell is everyone? It was way undersold and they ended up putting Grace Potter on the bill to help sell tix.

After her set, I take our poster tubes back to the truck and on my way out there's groups of people leaving.  I asked them where are you going and they all said, we saw who we came to see and aren't interested in MMJ!  :shocked:  I was stunned but managed to tell them..BIG mistake, I mean REALLY BIG!

That night's show has to be without a doubt the most underrated Jacket show I've ever seen. It's hardly talked about (no surprise since there honestly was maybe 1,000 people there on that big lawn) and I often wonder if those who left ever realized what they missed? It was an amazing show with a kick ass face melting setlist that was well worth the drive up from Jersey.

Check out the setlist on the archive here when you get a chance. It was packed with great tunes including Mahgeetah, Honest Man, Carried Away, The Way He Sings, Dondante, Steam Engine and a lot more.

We still get a kick out of some classic stories from that meetup when we get together at shows now, and I still shake my head knowing all those Grace fans missed an incredible show.
"Where's Jim going?"

CC

ON AUGUST 25

2003:

MMJ opened for Beck at the Point Theatre in Dublin, Ireland

2006:
MMJ played at ABC in Glasgow, UK

2008:
MMJ played  at Austin City Limits (Studio 6A) in Austin, TX

2010:
MMJ played at Mountain Park in Holyoke, MA
w/ Grace Potter

2012:
MMJ played at Time Warner Cable Uptown Amphitheatre in Charlotte, NC
w/ Band of Horses

8/25/2008 Austin

Cameron

By far the best taping I've been to. So much electricity in the studio that night. The poster hangs over my desk and I still think his nose looks like a dick. Ha!

parkervb

listening to the 2006 Glasgow show right now. Decent recording so far.

https://relisten.net/mmj/2006/08/25/
Don't you ever turn it off

CC

ON AUGUST 26

2003:

MMJ opened for Foo Fighters at Laugardalsholl in Reykjavik, Iceland

2006:
MMJ played at Cabaret Voltaire in Edinburgh, UK

2007:
Jim played solo at The Beacon Theatre in New York City, NY
also w/ Feist, Grizzly Bear, A.C. Newman

2012:
MMJ played at Raleigh Amphitheatre in Raleigh, NC
w/ Band of Horses

8/26/2012 Raleigh

parkervb

Quote from: CC on Aug 26, 2020, 01:37 AMON AUGUST 26

2012:
MMJ played at Raleigh Amphitheatre in Raleigh, NC
w/ Band of Horses

8/26/2012 Raleigh

one of my favorite Jacket shows and venues. Rollin Back opener, a train rolled through at one point and I believe you can hear it on the recording.
Don't you ever turn it off

CC

ON AUGUST 27

2006:

MMJ played at Greenbelt Festival in Cheltenham, UK

2008:
MMJ payed at the Fox Theater in Atlanta, GA

2010:
MMJ played at Station Square Amphitheater in Pittsburgh, PA

2016:
MMJ played at Lockn' Festival in Arrington, VA

8/27/2010 Pittsburgh