Fair Fight compilation ft. unreleased MMJ song

Started by CC, Sep 02, 2020, 12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CC

"Good Music To Avert The Collapse Of American Democracy - out this Friday ONLY on @bandcamp! We're honored to contribute a previously unreleased song. Proceeds go to @fairfightaction to help raise voter awareness & participation in the upcoming election."

https://goodmusic2020.bandcamp.com/

available exclusively for 24 hours only via Bandcamp this Friday, September 4th.

MMJCOBRA

Isn't this the solo song Jim did for the online Bernie rally?

Did MMJ record a full band version?

CountSA

Quote from: unravelled on Sep 02, 2020, 04:48 PMIsn't this the solo song Jim did for the online Bernie rally?

It's listed as MMJ so I would speculate it's full band.

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: CountSA on Sep 02, 2020, 06:13 PM
Quote from: unravelled on Sep 02, 2020, 04:48 PMIsn't this the solo song Jim did for the online Bernie rally?

It's listed as MMJ so I would speculate it's full band.

Looking forward to this regardless, but it's full-on,electric MMJ, that would be very interesting!!! 

Come Closer

roffrs

Quote from: Osistheones on Sep 04, 2020, 11:04 AMIt's full band with horn(s).

And it's damn good. I'd assumed it would be from the Waterfall sessions, but it doesn't really sound like those albums. Could it be from the sessions for the new new album?? If so, my hopes are that much higher for it.
Good luck comes from trying.

Come Closer

I could actually see it being from The Waterfall sessions. It's got the same kinda political vibe of Magic Bullet. I actually have higher hopes for the new album and hope this song isn't representative lol. To each their own.

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: RoffersLangdon on Sep 04, 2020, 12:53 PM
Quote from: Osistheones on Sep 04, 2020, 11:04 AMIt's full band with horn(s).

And it's damn good. I'd assumed it would be from the Waterfall sessions, but it doesn't really sound like those albums. Could it be from the sessions for the new new album?? If so, my hopes are that much higher for it.

Like it!!

Great sign for the new new stuff!!

ChiefOKONO

Great song, thanks for the heads up!!! Glad I didn't miss this one.  Good cause too!

ranyart

Love it and looking forward to hearing it live with a full horn section!

d_wil

Missed the one day Bandcamp exclusive.... awhere I can listen to the new track?

CC

Quote from: d_wil on Sep 05, 2020, 07:16 PMMissed the one day Bandcamp exclusive.... awhere I can listen to the new track?

not at the moment, but I'm sure it will be available again somewhere at some point

RobRoy286

Just heard it for the first time. Fuck yes! So awesome!

MMJCOBRA

I'd love to know the songwriting and recording history of Get the Power Back.

I had assumed that Jim wrote it pretty quickly for the Bernie rally. That certainly isn't the case unless band members recorded their parts individually and then they pieced the song together online.

roffrs

Quote from: unravelled on Sep 10, 2020, 11:49 AMI'd love to know the songwriting and recording history of Get the Power Back. 

Seems like it's from the recent recording sessions for the new new album, though I haven't seen anything that confirms or even suggests that. It definitely doesn't have the sound of The Waterfalls. That the compilation was only available for one day, I wouldn't be surprised if it is on the next album, as opposed to a non-album track from those sessions. Feels like it'll be the next "Magic Bullet" in that respect.
Good luck comes from trying.

Come Closer

The Waterfall sessions were all over the place though. The aspects that makes me think it's more recent is the anti-Trump tone and the lispy singing. Doesn't seem like a song Jim would've written when Obama was in office. Feels pretty 2018. But god help us if there's lispy singing on the new LP. That should've died with Uniform Distortion.

ranyart

I'm guessing it's a new song that will be released on the new album when that time comes.

RobRoy286

Quote from: Osistheones on Sep 10, 2020, 02:58 PMThe Waterfall sessions were all over the place though. The aspects that makes me think it's more recent is the anti-Trump tone and the lispy singing. Doesn't seem like a song Jim would've written when Obama was in office. Feels pretty 2018. But god help us if there's lispy singing on the new LP. That should've died with Uniform Distortion.
I don't expect the "lispy" singing to go anywhere...that's just Jim's voice now. I personally still love the sound of it, but he can't really hit and sustain the notes he used to.

Come Closer

I guess I don't get why it would be permanent when it definitely seems like he turns it on and off. If so its disappointing b/c it ruins songs that would otherwise be decent/good. This one would be kinda cheesy without it, but it just makes it cringey.

Interesting that people seem confident this is on the new LP as opposed to a loosie. Would be sorta odd to be on a comp and then their album, but I guess we'll see.

RobRoy286

Quote from: Osistheones on Sep 15, 2020, 01:48 PMI guess I don't get why it would be permanent when it definitely seems like he turns it on and off. If so its disappointing b/c it ruins songs that would otherwise be decent/good. This one would be kinda cheesy without it, but it just makes it cringey.

Interesting that people seem confident this is on the new LP as opposed to a loosie. Would be sorta odd to be on a comp and then their album, but I guess we'll see.
I don't have this song accessible, but what other songs/performances are you referring to? Just so I know what exactly you mean by lispy