Main Menu

OBH 2022

Started by CC, May 13, 2021, 02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cameron

Quote from: bobmono on May 13, 2021, 04:28 PMJust hoping it's not like Phish where people that are NOT there for the concert are at the resort - I always liked how OBH took over the full resort and everyone was there for the same reason!

Yep! That's a huge part of the appeal. Everyone there for the same reason!

slappymoe

Quote from: Cameron on May 13, 2021, 04:31 PM
Quote from: bobmono on May 13, 2021, 04:28 PMJust hoping it's not like Phish where people that are NOT there for the concert are at the resort - I always liked how OBH took over the full resort and everyone was there for the same reason!

Yep! That's a huge part of the appeal. Everyone there for the same reason!
amen!
more money i can probably deal with.  but sharing the resort with common folk?  not the same experience.

timescaper

This is the resort and room options and somewhat probably near the pricing one would expect - jacket may cost less than Dead & Co, but will probably be similar. 

https://playinginthesand.com/packages-addlweekend/

slappymoe

Quote from: bobmono on May 13, 2021, 04:28 PMJust hoping it's not like Phish where people that are NOT there for the concert are at the resort
so how does that even work?  make non-OBH attendees avert their eyes and cover their ears?  couldn't someone just book a room those dates and enjoy the fun for much less $$?

bobmono

Quote from: slappymoe on May 13, 2021, 04:43 PM
Quote from: bobmono on May 13, 2021, 04:28 PMJust hoping it's not like Phish where people that are NOT there for the concert are at the resort
so how does that even work?  make non-OBH attendees avert their eyes and cover their ears?  couldn't someone just book a room those dates and enjoy the fun for much less $$?

there is a venue - you need a bracelet to access the concert area instead of just strolling up

Bulldog

Soooo soooo stoked for this, if I had to guess I'd say same as others said something similar to Playin in the Sand for venue at the Moon Palace (CID does this one as well). I paid just over 7k for 2 but that was kinda a treat room, lowest tier was around 2100.

No matter where, I'll be there, wish to hell they would have announced before Playin tickets went on sale, but oh well guess I'm stuck going to both

trav

Can't wait!!! I've never been to any of the other OBH but a couple best friends and I decided next time they do it, if ever, we're definitely doing it! So freaking stoked!

Do tickets for on sale for everyone at the same time since there is no longer roll call?

walterfredo

I can't even wrap my brain around how pissed those peeps probably were!

niccamp

Been so long since I've been on here I forgot my login info and had to create a new account for this exciting occasion.

Not sure if presale codes will be a thing because of the new company...

But.

if they are doing presale codes again.... would you only receive one if you'd gone to the previous obh? I had to miss the last one but, wondered if previous purchases would still keep me in the running. Anyone have any insight?

Zutroy

Quote from: niccamp on May 13, 2021, 11:30 PMBeen so long since I've been on here I forgot my login info and had to create a new account for this exciting occasion.

But.

if they are doing presale codes again.... would you only receive one if you'd gone to the previous obh? I had to miss the last one but, wondered if previous purchases would still keep me in the running. Anyone have any insight?

This is like the million dollar question. It could be that they carryover the alumni list and that would be huge. I suppose they could also factor in the other CID Jacket events they've done the last few years. Either way, I hope they do something for the fans given that this will mean an increase in cost.

And I hope this means a huge undercard. I noted the return of friends and that could mean some great drawing power. I'm sure they could sell out moon  palace with the right price point and other bands.

slappymoe

Quote from: bobmono on May 13, 2021, 05:08 PM
Quote from: slappymoe on May 13, 2021, 04:43 PM

there is a venue - you need a bracelet to access the concert area instead of just strolling up
yeah, now I see the concert venue is tucked away in the north end of the resort, facing away from everything. No free listening.

Still hope it's fans only.

bobmono

Quote from: Zutroy on May 14, 2021, 12:16 AM
Quote from: niccamp on May 13, 2021, 11:30 PMBeen so long since I've been on here I forgot my login info and had to create a new account for this exciting occasion.

But.

This is like the million dollar question. It could be that they carryover the alumni list and that would be huge. I suppose they could also factor in the other CID Jacket events they've done the last few years. Either way, I hope they do something for the fans given that this will mean an increase in cost.

And I hope this means a huge undercard. I noted the return of friends and that could mean some great drawing power. I'm sure they could sell out moon  palace with the right price point and other bands.

They have to do something or they are going to piss off the most dedicated Jacket fans. The name of the event carried over - the list will carry over (I hope). Also all the CID events offer first dibs to previous attendees, so its not like this organization has different rules.

bobmono

Quote from: walterfredo on May 13, 2021, 11:26 PM

I can't even wrap my brain around how pissed those peeps probably were!

I remember seeing some hilarious reviews linked on PT after the first Phish Mexico went down.  People were not happy.  You think you are going on a relaxing beach vacation and a bunch of maniacs show up and take over the resort! - HA

ranyart

Oh how I wish we could go to this, especially since it falls on my birthday, but my wife is a school employee and the timing simply does not work for us.  Those of you who can attend please enjoy it for us!

:cry:

P.S.  Any rumors on a NYE run?  I've already arranged my work schedule for it (did that last year too but well you know).

robb

Quote from: ranyart on May 14, 2021, 10:11 AMP.S.  Any rumors on a NYE run?  I've already arranged my work schedule for it (did that last year too but well you know).

you like denver?
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

Stevie

I went to obh2 and it was 1400 per person plus flight.  Even then i thought it was a bit excessive for a few nights in cancun. 

But if this ends up being 2500 a person, thats 5000 plus lets pretend flights ease back into the 350 range from chicago, 5700, and then we will round up to 6000 for tipping and whatever. 

Six thousand dollars. 

Ive seen this band over 40 times, they are by far my favorite live band, but thats insane.

For that amount of money you could:

2 Roundtrip flights to 3 different US cities:  $300 × 2 × 3 = 1800

A nice Airbnb in 3 cities for a total of 8 nights (two 3 night runs, 1 2-nighter): $250 × 8 = $2000

8 pairs of tickets: $100 × 2 × 8 = $1600

Grand Total: $5400 plus food. 

Or you could cut that in half, just do one 3 night run and go lavish, and save $3000. 

Im not trying to shit on anyone who decides to do this, this is just an exercise in exasperation.  Even though my wife loves Tulum and it would be very easy to head down there the Saturday prior and relax a bit, theres no way to justify the cost for me.  Happiness has limits.

Mother of god, for that price they better take requests and play every single one. 

ranyart

Quote from: robb on May 14, 2021, 10:14 AM
Quote from: ranyart on May 14, 2021, 10:11 AMP.S.  Any rumors on a NYE run?  I've already arranged my work schedule for it (did that last year too but well you know).

you like denver?

We love Denver and were at the last NYE run.  Bring it on!

And Stevie I am right there with you and unfortunately I suspect we are going to see concert ticket prices go through the roof especially for these sorts of events in large part because of the Covid-19 related troubles we're seeing almost everywhere.  I hope I'm wrong...

mkterp

On the pricing complaints, to each their own of course, and everyone's financial situations are different. But I'll just say that I think the best way to look at it is through the lens of the cost of an all-inclusive vacation in Mexico, with the HUGE added bonus of your favorite band (and other great bands) playing there.  It's a great value in that regard. It's always going to be expensive compared to attending regular shows. OBH4 was a life highlight for my wife and me.

ChiefOKONO

I think this is wonderful news but I have always hesitated, partly because of the cost as well.   It would eat into most of the live music budget for the year for me.
I would love to go though and I feel like they should do one night of requests for the fans....that would rule!

Cameron

Quote from: mkterp on May 14, 2021, 12:15 PMOn the pricing complaints, to each their own of course, and everyone's financial situations are different. But I'll just say that I think the best way to look at it is through the lens of the cost of an all-inclusive vacation in Mexico, with the HUGE added bonus of your favorite band (and other great bands) playing there.  It's a great value in that regard. It's always going to be expensive compared to attending regular shows. OBH4 was a life highlight for my wife and me.

Pretty much my thought as well.  It really can't get better than playing the albums straight through though!