Covid-19 Vaccine

Started by Mr. White, Apr 02, 2021, 10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ranyart

At this point, at least here in the good old USA, I don't think there's any will to go back to lockdown/shutdown mode, and I'm not seeing venues canceling any shows so it would probably be up to the individual bands to cancel them and I have little doubt that would cost bands some $$$ which they aren't going to be willing to let go of.  Combine that with the fact that musicians and fans are all chomping at the bit for some live in person fun and my money is on full steam ahead and damn the torpedoes for shows in general.

Mr. White

I have a job that has "high exposure to the public", so this morning I discussed re-masking up with my wife (she works at a nursing home and still wears a mask while there). I decided to start wearing my mask(s) again. My boss said she was glad I had made that decision. She said another facility like ours a couple of counties away had vaccinated employees catch the virus, so they have had to close temporarily.

The following is the most recent "recommendation" list of what to do locally here in Kentucky.

"To protect against the spread of coronavirus and the delta variant, Kentucky shared mask recommendations:

- Unvaccinated people should wear a mask indoors
 - Those at high risk should wear a mask indoors, even if vaccinated
 - Vaccinated people working jobs with high exposure to the public should consider wearing a
   mask

- All unvaccinated people should get vaccinated immediately."
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

ranyart

Betsy is a school counselor and registration starts next week with students following not too far behind.  We have not heard a final answer from the administration on what the rules are going to be, but in any case she's pretty much expecting to be wearing a mask all the time again while she is indoors.  Our county just moved into the substantial spread zone so in theory the school board should require masks for everyone, so we'll see which direction they pick.

parkervb

Quote from: ranyart on Jul 29, 2021, 02:05 PMAt this point, at least here in the good old USA, I don't think there's any will to go back to lockdown/shutdown mode, and I'm not seeing venues canceling any shows so it would probably be up to the individual bands to cancel them and I have little doubt that would cost bands some $$$ which they aren't going to be willing to let go of.  Combine that with the fact that musicians and fans are all chomping at the bit for some live in person fun and my money is on full steam ahead and damn the torpedoes for shows in general.

yup. This is why we're starting to see the mandates. Mandates aren't being that well received but imagine how lockdowns would go over?
Don't you ever turn it off

MOWJO8185

I think unless hospital capacity gets in a really bad way we are infinitely more likely to see vaccine mandates at shows than full-on cancellations. Which is fantastic for me, I'm pretty comfortable with my vaxxed 35 year old self going to shows and being safe regardless, but knowing I'm only surrounded by smart people would be a nice added bonus.

ranyart

I have to admit I was surprised to see the New Orleans Jazz Fest reschedule again although I totally understand why they did.  Betsy's first day with students is today.  Cases are way up in our county and sounds like our hospital is full so school starting at this moment is probably not the best thing but at least the school board decided to require everyone to mask up.

walterfredo

I need a shirt that reads "I went to see phish in Nashville and all I got was covid"  :undecided:

Seriously though, fully vax'd since May, tested positive on Tuesday. That said, this was all on me, I made poor choices and am dealing with the consequences of them. Felt totally safe at the shows, and while obviously don't know know the where/whens of it all, acted a fool and fell in line with my surroundings...went into numerous packed bars unmasked (in the south!) over the course of nearly a week. Moving forward I will still go to shows, but will curtail my pre/post show activities until numbers are better. The numbers are insane right now. Cases in FL are at the highest level at any point EVER! That is whack. Be safe out there fans!

I also feel like the vax is doing it's thing as I would classify by symptoms (so far) as fairly mild compared to what others have experienced.

rkwedge

Quote from: walterfredo on Aug 12, 2021, 12:54 PMI need a shirt that reads "I went to see phish in Nashville and all I got was covid"  :undecided:

Seriously though, fully vax'd since May, tested positive on Tuesday. That said, this was all on me, I made poor choices and am dealing with the consequences of them. Felt totally safe at the shows, and while obviously don't know know the where/whens of it all, acted a fool and fell in line with my surroundings...went into numerous packed bars unmasked (in the south!) over the course of nearly a week. Moving forward I will still go to shows, but will curtail my pre/post show activities until numbers are better. The numbers are insane right now. Cases in FL are at the highest level at any point EVER! That is whack. Be safe out there fans!

I also feel like the vax is doing it's thing as I would classify by symptoms (so far) as fairly mild compared to what others have experienced.
That sucks walterfredo, hope everything continues to be mild for you.  I get it, you get lulled into a false sense of security and it prays on that. Best of luck to you and stay safe everybody!
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

ranyart

Sorry to hear your news walterfredo!  Here's hoping there is no long term trouble that comes from it.  So far the posse I know that went to the Phish shows outside of Indy are doing fine but they didn't do any pre/post show bar hopping and pretty much stuck to their campsite for the whole weekend, and of course the shows were all outside.

As Colonel Kilgore said "Some day this war's gonna end".  It's going to take patience and determination though, and unfortunately some folks have run out of both (or never had it in the first place).

parkervb

i was chatting with a buddy who had Pfizer vax and got a breakthrough case with symptoms like lethargy, headaches and loss of sense of smell. He told they've said the Pfizer vax is less effective vs Delta.

I am going to AC this weekend, I'm 100% masking up anywhere indoors and when in conversations but hope I can find some space where I can take it off for some of the show.

Genuine thank you to Walter for sharing this cautionary tale with us, you didn't have to but its a good lesson for us to hear. I hope you're feeling 100% again soon!
Don't you ever turn it off

ranyart

iLikeBeer

Quote from: ranyart on Jul 29, 2021, 05:56 PMBetsy is a school counselor and registration starts next week with students following not too far behind.  We have not heard a final answer from the administration on what the rules are going to be, but in any case she's pretty much expecting to be wearing a mask all the time again while she is indoors.  Our county just moved into the substantial spread zone so in theory the school board should require masks for everyone, so we'll see which direction they pick.

My wife teaches 2nd grade and I have 3 girls in HS and our local school board did vote for a mask mandate for all students and staff.  Expectedly, the retrumplicans are outraged that our school board would actually be looking out for the safety of it's children and have begun a petition to cancel the mask mandate?!?!  They state that masks are unsafe for their children to wear?!?!  These people are utter morons!!!  We even have some of these retrumplican parents who are now petitioning to have their names on the ballots to run for school board in the next election.  What a fucking shit show this is?!?!  Anyways, school starts in 3 days here in OH and the board is holding an emergency meeting tonight to hear arguments for and against the mask mandate.  I have my popcorn in hand!!!  :beer:

Also, I have tix to see Dead and Co in about a month and I'm beginning to wonder if this will happen??? :undecided:

ranyart

School is going about as well as can be expected here.  Masks are required for everyone in the building and folks are complying and only one person has been sent home for refusing.  Cases are raging here of course and one of the school systems in the are has closed and gone virtual for a couple of weeks.  Sound like about 10-15% of our school is out for positive cases or close contact so hopefully everyone does their best to keep the train on the tracks for as long as possible!

Best of luck to your gals iLikeBeer and maybe we'll cross paths at D&C...

Mr. White

Edit from another post in another thread about vaccinations required to attend select MMJ shows that I feel I should post here instead in order to avoid extra drama and all that stuff (deleted the other one).

I'm finally able to visit my mother in the nursing home (that's just a half mile from my house) for the first time since March of 2020. I have to wear their facemask (over my own cloth one) and now a clear plastic face shield in order to go in (plus temperature checks and filling out several pages of documentation each and every time). I've seen her 10 times over the past 5 weeks. If things get much worse, I'm pretty certain they will cut off those visits. Those reluctant to get the vaccination are welcome to stay at home, in my opinion. Just ... stay at home. Order out and do remote learning/work/visiting of friends, but don't ruin things further for those of us doing our part to slow this pandemic and hopefully see it come to an end. After all, freedom isn't total and 100% in anything we do in life. As for concerts, they are not a right but merely a privilege. If you'd like to partake in that privilege, then do your duty.

Just as an aside, as they say, why aren't people calling it the "trump warp speed vaccine"? That's what is, so why not make the far-right-wing-extremists own up to their hero's legacy?

ranyart

Just got this in my work email (company name removed to protect the innocent).  The survey had three choices (yes/no/not saying) and I would love to know what other questions were asked for the no/not people (if any)...

"Within the last few days, three of our long-standing customers have notified us that they are mandating proof of vaccination before any individual, including their employees and employees of business partners such as our company, will be allowed to arrive on site and enter their facilities.

While this mandate does not come as a complete surprise, given the new world order that COVID has spawned, it does present a series of complex and competing priorities that we need to navigate for the collective good of our company, our people, and our customers.

First and foremost, we respect your individual right regarding personal health decisions on whether or not you choose to get vaccinated. There are multiple arguments, some factual and some not so much, being contested on both sides of this issue. What we can say with certainty is that our company will not insert itself into what you decide as your best course of action regarding your confidential, personal health decision(s).

However, our corporate stance does intersect with your personal health decision when we have customers mandating proof of vaccination before they will allow our employees (you) into their facilities to perform on site delivery of our services.

Which brings me to the crux of the issue. All of us have a role to fulfill as we operate our company with our collective goal to expertly provide great service to our customers. You've probably heard me say it before, but without our customers, we don't collect the critical revenue that we use to pay our people's salaries, bonuses and health coverage. The bottom line is that without our customers, we don't have a business.

Therefore, our first order of priority will be to honor the requirements of our customers, which means we need to report to them the vaccination status of our people assigned to perform on site work at their facilities.

In order to understand the percentage of our employee base that would be able to comply with this type of request, our Health Services group is confidentially tracking voluntarily provided vaccination status of our employees. We are requesting you to complete this survey regarding your vaccination status, which will remain confidential."

Lonndown27

Quote from: ranyart on Aug 18, 2021, 02:31 PMJust got this in my work email (company name removed to protect the innocent).  The survey had three choices (yes/no/not saying) and I would love to know what other questions were asked for the no/not people (if any)...

"Within the last few days, three of our long-standing customers have notified us that they are mandating proof of vaccination before any individual, including their employees and employees of business partners such as our company, will be allowed to arrive on site and enter their facilities.

While this mandate does not come as a complete surprise, given the new world order that COVID has spawned, it does present a series of complex and competing priorities that we need to navigate for the collective good of our company, our people, and our customers.

First and foremost, we respect your individual right regarding personal health decisions on whether or not you choose to get vaccinated. There are multiple arguments, some factual and some not so much, being contested on both sides of this issue. What we can say with certainty is that our company will not insert itself into what you decide as your best course of action regarding your confidential, personal health decision(s).

However, our corporate stance does intersect with your personal health decision when we have customers mandating proof of vaccination before they will allow our employees (you) into their facilities to perform on site delivery of our services.

Which brings me to the crux of the issue. All of us have a role to fulfill as we operate our company with our collective goal to expertly provide great service to our customers. You've probably heard me say it before, but without our customers, we don't collect the critical revenue that we use to pay our people's salaries, bonuses and health coverage. The bottom line is that without our customers, we don't have a business.

Therefore, our first order of priority will be to honor the requirements of our customers, which means we need to report to them the vaccination status of our people assigned to perform on site work at their facilities.

In order to understand the percentage of our employee base that would be able to comply with this type of request, our Health Services group is confidentially tracking voluntarily provided vaccination status of our employees. We are requesting you to complete this survey regarding your vaccination status, which will remain confidential."

scary stuff...
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Mr. White

Update on my mother's nursing home restrictions:
They stopped allowing outside visitation last week. They had a resident get the Coronavirus from their husband who was visiting (and had the virus). She got it, had to be transferred to the hospital and later died. Another resident has it and has also been transferred out. They dis-allowed any outside visitors to the facility. My wife, who is a CNA there, has had to attend to the remaining residents who are infected with the virus but not bad enough to require hospitalization (made to wear extra PPE). Things are getting much worse in Kentucky and in my county particularly. I went to the grocery store on Sunday to get just a couple of items, and not a single worker had on a mask, and only one or two customers had one on. My county also lags way behind the state's average as far as vaccinated people goes. I recently saw a clip of Little Donnie Tiny Hands urging his cult members to get the vaccine saying he did and that it works. They didn't seem to like him hawking his "trump-warp-speed-vaccine" very much. Seems his baby was dead on arrival, so to speak. Anyway, have a good time out there, all you good people (and you know who you are) but be safe. I'm trying here at work. I'm trying.

Mr. White

Well, I feel I need to update this thread for a number of reasons.

First, I started it so we could have a place to come together and discuss what we know, what we want to know, how things are changing, to share about our own experiences, and to be able to provide updates on those we know and love (not just stuff we saw/read on the Interweb).

So ... I got the Coronavirus, and so did my wife (we had both been fully vaccinated). This is my first day back to work after the 10 day Isolation Period (starting on the first day of symptoms). I'm not sure where we got the virus from, but there were a couple of opportunities for us to have been exposed a while back. My wife is a Certified Nurse Aid (CNA) at the nursing home just up the road from our house (worked there for 20 years now). The night of the MMJ Railbird Festival show (8/28/2021), my wife had to work with a Coronavirus patient that hadn't been tested yet. He got tested the next night and was positive for the virus. So, there's that (probably the highest chance that's where we got it). She had to wear extra PPE the next night she worked with him. Also, I went to a concert for the first time in 1 year and 6 months. There were 30,000 tickets sold for that day. All concert goers were supposed to be tested before coming to the show (had to show proof that it was within 72 hours of the first day of the festival) or been fully vaccinated (I was). I rode up to the show with a friend and his wife from their house in Frankfort, Kentucky (both had been fully vaccinated as well). I decided not to wear a mask the whole day. I only talked to a hand-full of people the entire day and thought I was pretty careful in general. Also, I have a job where I come into contact with every patron who enters the establishment where I work. I am still trying to keep a safe distance and all that stuff. With all that being said, it is still unknown where we got the virus, but I'd say there is a higher chance it came from my wife working with a Covid-19 patient ... but who knows for sure.

Anyway, I think our symptoms were not too bad since we had both been vaccinated (at least that's what the two different pharmacy employees said when I spoke to them on the phone at different times and places). We both had sniffles, runny nose, sinus pressure and headache, tiredness, fatigue, brain fog, felt/feel disoriented, slight chest pressure when breathing deeply, loss of taste and smell, and a low fever. Plus, after about 4 or 5 days, my wife had two days where she had nausea and couldn't keep food down and had to go to bed very early. We did feel like doing some yard work over the end of our Isolation Period and got a good bit done. It just took us a while longer, and we needed lots of extra breaks. I don't know what the long-term effects will be. I'm still having upper-respiratory problems that make me cough from time to time. I still have sinus pressure resulting in ears being somewhat clogged, making my hearing a bit less because of the balance of pressure (that is an issue I've been battling since I was 10 years old). We are still very tired and lethargic. I don't have a lot of physical stress in my job, and I can take breaks if I need them. My wife can't. She goes back to work this Friday. I'll keep you all posted as to any new concerns or if we make a speedy recovery.

Also, a family friend and former Kentucky State Representative from my hometown got the Coronavirus (after being fully vaccinated) and was hospitalized and later died (I wrote about this person on my Instagram page that I'll link here. His name was Brent Yonts.)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CSsspSHsKcW/

sillyboob

Just want to send you my best thoughts on a speedy and full recovery for both you and your wife Mr. White. 
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

ChiefOKONO

All the best for a quick recovery Mr. White and the Mrs. !!!