Regularly Scheduled Programming - New Single 8/24/21

Started by roffrs, Aug 24, 2021, 12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roffrs

Good luck comes from trying.

RobRoy286

Lucius

"This video is not available"

*sits waiting patiently/obsessively refreshing the page/wanting to pull hair out/dying from impatience*
it wouldn't be a party without you

Jbpats

Pretty good tune, have a feeling it's going to be a monster live

Nikkogino

Quote from: Jbpats on Aug 24, 2021, 06:26 AMPretty good tune, have a feeling it's going to be a monster live
It is kinda like Victory Dance for me.  A great build up song that ends as it is getting good.  Hopefully this is track 1 and the second track is more upbeat.

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: Nikkogino on Aug 24, 2021, 07:32 AM
Quote from: Jbpats on Aug 24, 2021, 06:26 AMPretty good tune, have a feeling it's going to be a monster live
It is kinda like Victory Dance for me.  A great build up song that ends as it is getting good.  Hopefully this is track 1 and the second track is more upbeat.

Was thinking the same. Sounds like a lead in song. And the song right after is gonna  be huge

Cameron

parkervb

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Aug 24, 2021, 07:54 AM
Quote from: Nikkogino on Aug 24, 2021, 07:32 AM

Was thinking the same. Sounds like a lead in song. And the song right after is gonna  be huge

yea, this song on its own does not do much for me but in the context of a whole record, it could be awesome.
Don't you ever turn it off

Lucius

That ending is going to be one serious live moment but as for the actual song itself? Not sold yet. Maybe it's a grower but, I want more of that end jam! It actually reminds me more of Outta My System/Jim's Regions than VD. Its "light" sounding MMJ rather than their darker side. I like both so hoping for a healthy mixture on this LP!

One last edit: Jim looks kinda hot smoking a cigarette! That's my main take away from the video. That I still have the hots for Jim

Clarkwork

The video is incredible and makes the song a lot better
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

MMJTX

Quote from: Clarkwork on Aug 24, 2021, 09:49 AMThe video is incredible and makes the song a lot better

Agreed, thought the video was great and added a lot. looked like they had some good fun
Anytime

gardenparty

Nice to see them having fun and making a real music video!

I was nervous when Jim started singing that first verse but it picked up and I ended up enjoying the song.  End is great.   

Definitely has more of an intro song than a standalone single vibe.   

ChiefOKONO

Loved the video!!! made me like the song more!!!

Lonndown27

-lukewarm first verse, very on the nose lyrics about "screentime obsession", "lies" being fed etc....a little too literal for Jim

-chorus is a winner

-gets bigger and better BUT doesn't just mail it in by slamming the chorus at us for 2 more minutes, it gets weird and dark out of nowhere. It reminds me of Liars' 2007 album.

I knew someone would want some 9 minute jam version of the ending there....No...please no...

-This may be the new "Compound Fracture" but as for new "Victory Dance"...no way....

Victory Dance blew minds straight from the gate and was a statement of brutal intent and power.
This is nice, it feels good, the video made it amazing, and it will grow on me, but as a show opener??? I'm not so sure.

-Interesting that the guitars are reallyyyyyyy industrial sludging, no usual solos or tones.

-that was the best fuckin music video the band has done since OBH or Compound itself.

-We'll see.....I damn well told ya'll it was gonna be self titled
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

parkervb

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Aug 24, 2021, 01:11 PM-lukewarm first verse, very on the nose lyrics about "screentime obsession", "lies" being fed etc....a little too literal for Jim

-chorus is a winner

-gets bigger and better BUT doesn't just mail it in by slamming the chorus at us for 2 more minutes, it gets weird and dark out of nowhere. It reminds me of Liars' 2007 album.

I knew someone would want some 9 minute jam version of the ending there....No...please no...

-This may be the new "Compound Fracture" but as for new "Victory Dance"...no way....

Victory Dance blew minds straight from the gate and was a statement of brutal intent and power.
This is nice, it feels good, the video made it amazing, and it will grow on me, but as a show opener??? I'm not so sure.

-Interesting that the guitars are reallyyyyyyy industrial sludging, no usual solos or tones.

-that was the best fuckin music video the band has done since OBH or Compound itself.

-We'll see.....I damn well told ya'll it was gonna be self titled

was this the "kinda scorched earth sound I thought the band would never find" track that you referenced in another thread or which one of the new tracks do you think it was?
Don't you ever turn it off

Lonndown27

this wasn't it at all, i'm told it was "one of the longer ones". Whatever that means. But it appears it's either "Devil in The Details" or one of the other ones. I know Devil is 9 minutes but I forgot what the other one was, it looks like 3 songs over 7 minutes?
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Lucius

Lonndown27

Quote from: Lucius on Aug 24, 2021, 01:41 PMWhat's wrong with 9 minute jams? :shocked:
nothing, just certain songs don't deserve that kinda attention or time.
For instance, Outta My System should go for about maybe 5 1/2 at most with that ending metal jam in G, but say Steam Engine lends itself to going for even 50 minutes to an hour and nobody would complain.

There's just certain numbers that lose their edge and power if they're stretched out, in my opinion, but that's what i love about music:
A lot of the time, our opinions don't matter or don't even resonate with these artists and they show us we're wrong or paint a new picture we've never seen before.
Before 8/2/2012, I never imagined "Phone Went West" going into a major to minor jam of such epicness, nor did I like the song "Gideon". Well, when the band busted out an 8 minute version replete with sequencer issues (that just built the tension) right when the second verse starts, and suddenly it was in my top 5.
They show us the way....everyday...(shit, did i just fuckin quote Frampton??? Oh my god!!!)