Metallica Cover Album - 9/10

Started by dookie shoot bandit, Jun 22, 2021, 01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dookie shoot bandit

the Jacket covering Nothing Else Matters for Metallica cover album out Sept. 10th

ChiefOKONO

Interesting!  Looking forward to hearing it.

I wonder if they became friends during Bridge school?

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Jun 22, 2021, 03:31 PMInteresting!  Looking forward to hearing it.

Or at Bonnaroo'08? Kirk came out with them to play OBH  :cheesy:

sillyboob

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Jun 22, 2021, 03:46 PM
Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Jun 22, 2021, 03:31 PMInteresting!  Looking forward to hearing it.

Or at Bonnaroo'08? Kirk came out with them to play OBH  :cheesy:

I still really dig Kirk's solo on that one.  Just glad they finally turned his guitar up.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

robb

at $160 for the vinyl box set i'm really starting to reconsider having to own everything jacket releases.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: robb on Jun 22, 2021, 04:17 PMat $160 for the vinyl box set i'm really starting to reconsider having to own everything jacket releases.
Same....at least until I get another job  :undecided:

ChiefOKONO

I have to say the metallica box set looks pretty killer, $$$$ aside.

I hope that MMJ does something like that one day!

TheKnoxvilleBear

Now what I was expecting. They could have rocked this one a lot harder.

shumatec1012

Really not feeling this cover.. was hoping it would be more guitar driven. Nothing compares to Jacket's cover of " It Makes No Difference" from the band. Honestly, still wish this made appearances in setlists!  :tongue:

ChiefOKONO

Not feeling this cover either, but I guess it is cool that they had a chance to be on this album.   Maybe it's because I am so used to the original.

dookie shoot bandit

I was really excited to hear this... I usually try to find some positive in all this band does, and 99.9% of the time, don't not like anything they do. With that said, unfortunately this is the .1% for me. In my opinion, this this is the absolute worst thing they have ever put out into the world.

shumatec1012

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Sep 10, 2021, 02:40 PMI was really excited to hear this... I usually try to find some positive in all this band does, and 99.9% of the time, don't not like anything they do. With that said, unfortunately this is the .1% for me. In my opinion, this this is the absolute worst thing they have ever put out into the world.

Agreed. :/ Jim is singing with absolutely no emotion- like he is just reading the lyrics for the first time, and the keyboard driven instrumental just does not serve such an epic song.

strangulation

Quote from: shumatec1012 on Sep 10, 2021, 02:44 PM
Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Sep 10, 2021, 02:40 PMI was really excited to hear this... I usually try to find some positive in all this band does, and 99.9% of the time, don't not like anything they do. With that said, unfortunately this is the .1% for me. In my opinion, this this is the absolute worst thing they have ever put out into the world.

Agreed. :/ Jim is singing with absolutely no emotion- like he is just reading the lyrics for the first time, and the keyboard driven instrumental just does not serve such an epic song.

What are you talking about?  This is a really beautiful song and it's a completely unique take that sounds nothing like the original. 

MMJCOBRA

Groovy little track. Took a while for me to recognize the song.  Save the note for note covers for Weezer. And I'm saying that as a HUGE Weezer fan.

What a strange box set they released! How is anyone supposed to get through that repetive track list on the Blacklist?

Would've been much cooler if someone had taken the time to curate the many covers of each song into similar themed albums. For example, here's the note for note version of each song on the Black album cover. Here's a folk themed Black cover album. Here's a death metal version of the black album. Here's a idiosyncratic version of the black album.

This is a case of the entire project being much, much less than the sum of it's parts.

Nikkogino

Quote from: unravelled on Sep 10, 2021, 10:21 PMGroovy little track. Took a while for me to recognize the song.  Save the note for note covers for Weezer. And I'm saying that as a HUGE Weezer fan.

What a strange box set they released! How is anyone supposed to get through that repetive track list on the Blacklist?

Would've been much cooler if someone had taken the time to curate the many covers of each song into similar themed albums. For example, here's the note for note version of each song on the Black album cover. Here's a folk themed Black cover album. Here's a death metal version of the black album. Here's a idiosyncratic version of the black album.

This is a case of the entire project being much, much less than the sum of it's parts.
So you are the one other person on the planet who is a huge MMJ and huge Weezer fan?  Nice to meet you.

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: Nikkogino on Sep 10, 2021, 10:35 PM
Quote from: unravelled on Sep 10, 2021, 10:21 PMGroovy little track. Took a while for me to recognize the song.  Save the note for note covers for Weezer. And I'm saying that as a HUGE Weezer fan.

So you are the one other person on the planet who is a huge MMJ and huge Weezer fan?  Nice to meet you.

Lol. I know right?  Don't get me started, I'll try to convert you!!!  :grin:

Nikkogino

Quote from: unravelled on Sep 14, 2021, 03:45 AM
Quote from: Nikkogino on Sep 10, 2021, 10:35 PM

Lol. I know right?  Don't get me started, I'll try to convert you!!!  :grin:
No...I am the one other person.  Weezer/MMJ gang