My Morning Jacket (the album)

Started by dookie shoot bandit, Sep 07, 2021, 11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikkogino

Quote from: oistheone on Oct 12, 2021, 04:14 PM"Complex" is now out on DSPs for those who haven't heard it yet!
You must be in Europe or Aus/NZ?

oistheone

Weird!! It is on Spotify and fully playable in Canada. Maybe it's tied to the NHL 22 soundtrack and they're showing some early love to our hockey loving nation?!

At any rate I'm sure it'll drop stateside by Friday as the last single before the album drop. And then the full, fabulous album following only one short week later! Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks!

CountSA

Quote from: oistheone on Oct 12, 2021, 09:56 PMWeird!! It is on Spotify and fully playable in Canada. Maybe it's tied to the NHL 22 soundtrack and they're showing some early love to our hockey loving nation?!

At any rate I'm sure it'll drop stateside by Friday as the last single before the album drop. And then the full, fabulous album following only one short week later! Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks!

Damn I tried using a Canadian VPN but still no luck.

mkterp

Quote from: oistheone on Oct 12, 2021, 09:56 PMWeird!! It is on Spotify and fully playable in Canada. Maybe it's tied to the NHL 22 soundtrack and they're showing some early love to our hockey loving nation?!

So....how is it?!?

CountSA

Quote from: CountSA on Oct 12, 2021, 10:37 PM

Damn I tried using a Canadian VPN but still no luck.

Alright so using a Canadian VPN works on the YouTube link:
https://youtu.be/B1WxPJxx6Dc

CountSA

Quote from: mkterp on Oct 13, 2021, 10:07 AM

So....how is it?!?

Not bad but after a couple listens it's my least favorite of the new songs so far.  It definitely sounds more like a Uniform Distortion song than MMJ. 

Come Closer

Man, this is yet another tune that uses the "let me cover up this mediocre song with some shredding" formula. This ain't looking good.

RobRoy286

Quote from: Come Closer on Oct 13, 2021, 11:44 AMMan, this is yet another tune that uses the "let me cover up this mediocre song with some shredding" formula. This ain't looking good.
This album is actually gonna show off their live jamming abilities. I'm so stoked.

Come Closer

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Oct 13, 2021, 11:53 AM
Quote from: Come Closer on Oct 13, 2021, 11:44 AMMan, this is yet another tune that uses the "let me cover up this mediocre song with some shredding" formula. This ain't looking good.
This album is actually gonna show off their live jamming abilities. I'm so stoked.
Eh sort of I guess. Like short shreddy jams, not the long form spacey jams that is the real good stuff.

Nikkogino

Any way to hear this in America???

oistheone

Quote from: Come Closer on Oct 13, 2021, 11:56 AM
Eh sort of I guess. Like short shreddy jams, not the long form spacey jams that is the real good stuff.

***SPOILER***

I assure you, "I Never Could Get Enough" more than delivers the spacey jams you crave. Even at 8+ minutes, you won't be able to... get enough. This song sounds like a cosmic cocktail of "Only Memories Remain" and "Steam Engine", tossed in a blender with some ice and the sublime vocal phrasing of "Circuital". MAJOR jam vehicle contender!!!

Lucius

Complex reminds me a lot of Remnants. But it almost sounds like a demo or something from Uniform Distortion.

I think this is definitely going to be an album that will click for people in a live setting. Which in itself can be a pretty magical thing. This is going to sound like Jacket Blasphemy but I didn't like Mahgeetah, Dancefloors or Evil Urges until I heard them live. I'm on the fence with most of the stuff we've heard of this album so far but I know they all have the potential to blow my head off live. I don't like the studio version of Love Love Love but I like the recording from one of the recent shows. They all have that potential! 

Any rumblings on a European tour for 2022? I've already started putting money aside so I can do multiple nights this time :cheesy:
it wouldn't be a party without you

dookie shoot bandit

Just got confirmation that the vinyl has shipped.  :thumbsup:
Now... what are the odds it comes earlier than release date :cheesy:
Or on release date for that matter

Nikkogino

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Oct 14, 2021, 07:26 PMJust got confirmation that the vinyl has shipped.  :thumbsup:
You live in US?  I ordered right when the pre-order went live and I have nothing.  Exciting stuff.

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: Nikkogino on Oct 14, 2021, 08:49 PM
Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Oct 14, 2021, 07:26 PMJust got confirmation that the vinyl has shipped.  :thumbsup:
You live in US?  I ordered right when the pre-order went live and I have nothing.  Exciting stuff.

Yes, US
We shall see 🤞

mkterp

Quote from: oistheone on Oct 13, 2021, 08:03 PM

***SPOILER***

I assure you, "I Never Could Get Enough" more than delivers the spacey jams you crave. Even at 8+ minutes, you won't be able to... get enough. This song sounds like a cosmic cocktail of "Only Memories Remain" and "Steam Engine", tossed in a blender with some ice and the sublime vocal phrasing of "Circuital". MAJOR jam vehicle contender!!!

This is exactly what I'd want to hear. Have you listened to the whole album, and if so, any more tidbits you can share? I believe you had a nice preview of some Waterfall 2 tracks shortly before release...

oistheone

Quote from: mkterp on Oct 14, 2021, 09:36 PM
Quote from: oistheone on Oct 13, 2021, 08:03 PM

***SPOILER***

This is exactly what I'd want to hear. Have you listened to the whole album, and if so, any more tidbits you can share? I believe you had a nice preview of some Waterfall 2 tracks shortly before release...

**MORE SPOILERS BELOW, PROCEED WITH CAUTION!!**

"Least Expected" is straight-up COOL! Sounds like the band was listening to "Like An Inca" off Trans or absorbing a lot of Steely Dan while recording. Suuuuuper smooth (almost exotic?!) groove with a great pace and unlike anything in their catalog. Might be my favorite track! Bo's keys are damn VIBEY, and this is sure to be a sick groover live! Bo is all over this album actually, and his growing prominence is probably my favorite part of this latest MMJ era.

"Penny For Your Thoughts" fucking RIPS. Huge anthemic energy right outta the gate! Sounds downright jubilant. And joins "Gideon" and "Smokin from Shootin" in the pantheon of all-time great Jim screams. Killer ending that'll spark a lot of joy and have a ton of hands in the air when played live!!

I will also add that the vocal effects/processing/mixing/distortion on Jim's vocals mentioned previously up thread are all over the album, but he sounds so comfortable and happy that you can't help but get sucked in. You can tell he's not taking himself too seriously here and I swear you can actually hear him smile through some of his phrasing. The band as a whole sounds fiiiiinally relaxed in studio and that adds to the charm of the whole album. Nothing sounds too forced.

On the flip side, I don't quite know what to make of "The Devil's In The Details". It's going to divide a lot of people I'm sure. I believe it is the only song in recorded history to make direct lyrical mention of Stranger Things and Sephora before going into a dissonant jazz jam. There's some downright spooky instrumentation throughout -- the devil is in this one indeed!

Anyway, I've probably said too much, but at least half of these tracks are gonna SLAY live and to me, that makes this album a wild success. The album has some of their wildest recorded jams EVER and these are the STUDIO versions! Can't wait till they're all unleashed on stage!

RobRoy286

CountSA

I'm surprised we are 5 days out and it hasn't leaked yet, at least that I'm aware of.

mkterp

Thanks for sharing those spoilers, oistheone. So pumped for Friday.