Relix Magazine - Sept issue

Started by dookie shoot bandit, Sep 24, 2021, 01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dookie shoot bandit

Boys are on the front cover of the new issue of Relix.
Trying to find in a store today, if not will have to order on the website.

Lonndown27

(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

MMJTX

i ordered a copy from their website, excited to read through it.
Anytime

ChiefOKONO

Sweet! I hope it appears online too.

dookie shoot bandit

Finally received in the mail today
Great article

ChiefOKONO

If it doesn't end up being online would someone mind posting it here?

Thanks!!

sillyboob

Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

dookie shoot bandit

I have heard him say it before. But it's good to be reminded, when we ("I") have things to say about set lists or why certain songs aren't played at all or fell off the rotation. At the end of the day, Jim is an artist and has personal connections to these songs. He is not just clocking in for his job and collecting a pay check. He literally has to find in himself the person 10/15/20 years ago, that wrote that song, and dig up those emotions so that the song is sang the way it was meant to when it was written. So as the artist/song writer, some of those songs/lyrics (bones) are just too painful to dig back up. So as much as I would love to hear him sing How Could I Know or By My Car, or I Needed it Most, or Hopefully, or Strangulation... I need need to reminded of  this and understand that this man either can't find that person that wrote that song, doesn't want to be reminded of that person or time that that song was written, or just simply hates that song. And remember I'm just lucky enough to be still witnessing them play live and be joyful enough to be along for the ride.

ChiefOKONO

Amazing article and very insightful about the near breakup period.  Really good read, thanks again for posting it dookie!!!

good point about setlists too dookie!

MMJTX

Finally read through my copy I received in the mail, and just wanted to second the thoughts, the article is amazing.
I was happy to read about why they named the new album My Morning Jacket, i was very curious about that and i liked their reason(s) around it. makes me even more excited, somehow, about the new album

Patrick made a comment that i liked and i think the setlist critiquers would appreciate something along the lines of "i think the album-centric tours for us are over, we just want to have fun, more multiples (i think he's referring to more multi-night runs)" so sounds like they want to do less shows but more multi-night runs or special shows, which im good with! maybe more Phish-like

Also...Jim...what is up with this all-improv psych rock project Unblown Balloon, LETS GOOO, give me some of that!

Anytime

Cameron

Still haven't received my copy. Ship it already, Relix!

ranyart

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Oct 06, 2021, 11:30 AMhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/194117034@N04/shares/7H4k7m

Hope this works!

Thank you Dookie!  Excellent article I'll have to read it again to get the full essence but these dudes are on fire and I can't wait for Chicago.

Lonndown27

I FUCKING LOVE THIS DAMN BAND....G.O.A.T
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Lonndown27

so Jim came up with MMJ title to define how they all are a unifying presence or something along those lines.

They were gonna record an album in 2017-2018 but that got shut down by Jim's post-Electric Forest 2017 "difficult conversation". They knew they were taking a hiatus as they did the Summer 2017 tour and NYE 2017 shows.

So glad Tucker Martine had nothing to do with this record's production.

I must hear the full Devil In The Details now...

Shug

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Oct 13, 2021, 01:51 PMSo glad Tucker Martine had nothing to do with this record's production.

I must hear the full Devil In The Details now...

Ha ha ha, me too!  I'm not a fan of his production for any artists, but they all seem to love him.  If this is a more live sounding album as described in the article, then that to me is something to get excited about.  And two long songs is a good sign!
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

TheRoof

Bring on some Unblown Balloon!!

Thanks for sharing.
You Are Everything