My Morning Jacket (the album)

Started by dookie shoot bandit, Sep 07, 2021, 11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackets N Pones

Never in the Real World is my favorite so far! Love the "huh" part right before the solo can't wait to hear it live :cheesy:
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

Hatfield

After a few more listens, S/T has come together a lot more for me.  I went from thinking Love, Love, Love was the weaker version of Compound Fracture to seeing and hearing it's brilliant cohesion.  The way that song works into the jam is what sets MMJ apart from the rest.
RSP is a perfect album opener and I really like the pointed lyrics.

In Color is everything you want in a Jacket song. 

Least Expected is more of what I was hoping for with this record.  Kind of like the way Waterfall sounded so different and new, yet clearly MMJ. I've never heard them cover this ground and I love it.  Does anyone else hear a similarity between Least Expected and Dylan's "Dead Man, Dead Man" from Shot of Love? 

Never in the Real World is the song that really came up in the last week.  It might be my favorite on the album and that is saying something. 

I'm still not loving Lucky, Complex or Out of Range which is a bummer.  However, Penny for your Thoughts>Never Enough is an amazing ending. Penny for Your Thoughts feels like Aluminum Park, First Light and the Rolling Stones had the perfect baby. 

This one is a grower.  I can't wait to see these songs live!

Nikkogino

Quote from: Hatfield on Nov 01, 2021, 02:13 PMAfter a few more listens, S/T has come together a lot more for me.  I went from thinking Love, Love, Love was the weaker version of Compound Fracture to seeing and hearing it's brilliant cohesion.  The way that song works into the jam is what sets MMJ apart from the rest.
RSP is a perfect album opener and I really like the pointed lyrics.

In Color is everything you want in a Jacket song. 

Least Expected is more of what I was hoping for with this record.  Kind of like the way Waterfall sounded so different and new, yet clearly MMJ. I've never heard them cover this ground and I love it.  Does anyone else hear a similarity between Least Expected and Dylan's "Dead Man, Dead Man" from Shot of Love? 

Never in the Real World is the song that really came up in the last week.  It might be my favorite on the album and that is saying something. 

I'm still not loving Lucky, Complex or Out of Range which is a bummer.  However, Penny for your Thoughts>Never Enough is an amazing ending. Penny for Your Thoughts feels like Aluminum Park, First Light and the Rolling Stones had the perfect baby. 

This one is a grower.  I can't wait to see these songs live!

Agree with most of what you said, but Out of Range is probably my favorite.

GO4IT

Loving the album more with each spin. Certainly a couple I could do without but I'm really loving Never in the Real World and In Color from the first listens. Others are growing on me.

Please, Lord, deliver us a beastly version of Never in the Real World in Chicago :cheesy:

Come Closer

I know this is the letting songs breathe album, but I think some of the supporting cast could've been trimmed a bit. I would like Out of Range more if it was about 45 seconds shorter. Penny and Lucky could probably use a haircut too.

C.S.

It's really blowing my mind that there isn't more gushing over this one. 10/10 album of the year for me.

GO4IT

Quote from: GO4IT on Nov 03, 2021, 10:58 PMLoving the album more with each spin. Certainly a couple I could do without but I'm really loving Never in the Real World and In Color from the first listens. Others are growing on me.

Please, Lord, deliver us a beastly version of Never in the Real World in Chicago :cheesy:
Thank you, Lord

RobRoy286

Quote from: C.S. on Nov 04, 2021, 05:48 PMIt's really blowing my mind that there isn't more gushing over this one. 10/10 album of the year for me.
Oh I'm still gushing, don't worry

Come Closer

Not sure if you're talking about gushing here or gushing everywhere, but I really think it would've been better received if they trimmed it down. Not that I care about Pitchfork in the least, but I don't think it's a coincidence that they trashed Evil Urges and s/t and were favorable towards Circuital and The Waterfall. I don't think their albums should be more than 50 mins now that they're not doing the slowcore/post rock influenced thing and Jim isn't churning out songs like he was early on.

MPP

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Nov 06, 2021, 09:13 AM
Quote from: C.S. on Nov 04, 2021, 05:48 PMIt's really blowing my mind that there isn't more gushing over this one. 10/10 album of the year for me.
Oh I'm still gushing, don't worry

It's been on repeat for the last three days. Musical crack. I loved WII when it released, still do, but it continues 2010-2015 with a few twists.  This is a brand new, thrilling landscape.

I'm only lukewarm on one song here, Lucky.  First half just sounds too pop formulaic and simplistic for me - for a Jacket song, to be clear.  Still fun, light years better than the typical formula, and no one adds that cool, keys/guitar laden outro to a song like they do. 

Penny is my choice for best song here, In Color a close second. That could change after more plays, considering I was negative on Love Love Love the first three plays, and now can't get it out of my head.  I get a strong Velvet Underground vibe in Penny,  and Bo's organ is straight outta 70's classic/Wakeman prog rock. Out of Range - love it.  I think Carpet Crawlers every time it starts.  Someone on this forum is going to get that reference. Lol

The range of song styles, done so well, is breathtaking.  Even a little Jazz! Patrick and Tom are amazingly accomplished at laying down so many diverse rhythms to build on. 

parkervb

correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't have live debuts of Devil, and the closing three tracks? I love those last 3 songs. Was Least Expected just debuted in Chicago?
Don't you ever turn it off

CountSA

Least Expected was debuted in St. Louis.  Penny has been played 2 or 3 times.  Devil in the Details, Out of Range pt2, and Never Could Get Enough haven't been played yet.

Quote from: parkervb on Nov 10, 2021, 09:44 AMcorrect me if I'm wrong, but we don't have live debuts of Devil, and the closing three tracks? I love those last 3 songs. Was Least Expected just debuted in Chicago?

Nikkogino

As much as I like Devil for what it is and the potential it could have live, would I prefer a 15 minute version of this song over, say, a Phone Went West, Dondante, Steam, or War Begun.  Hell no.

parkervb

Quote from: CountSA on Nov 10, 2021, 09:59 AMLeast Expected was debuted in St. Louis.  Penny has been played 2 or 3 times.  Devil in the Details, Out of Range pt2, and Never Could Get Enough haven't been played yet.

Quote from: parkervb on Nov 10, 2021, 09:44 AMcorrect me if I'm wrong, but we don't have live debuts of Devil, and the closing three tracks? I love those last 3 songs. Was Least Expected just debuted in Chicago?

i hope Never Could Get Enough doesn't go the way of Only Memories...
Don't you ever turn it off

Lucius

Are there any recordings of Only Memories out there where the crowd doesn't talk through it? Such a pretty song and I love the way it builds up live but I've never managed to find a taping where I'm not sitting there thinking "shut up shut up SHUT UP" about the crowd  :undecided:  :grin:
it wouldn't be a party without you

RobRoy286

Was reallyyy hoping to hear Out of Range in Chicago.

The songs I did hear were amazing. In Color is an instant classic.

sillyboob

Quote from: Lucius on Nov 10, 2021, 04:42 PMAre there any recordings of Only Memories out there where the crowd doesn't talk through it? Such a pretty song and I love the way it builds up live but I've never managed to find a taping where I'm not sitting there thinking "shut up shut up SHUT UP" about the crowd  :undecided:  :grin:

I'd track down these versions to start:
2015 KCRW The Waterfall show
2015 Masonic Auditorium, San Francisco Night 2
2015 One Big Holiday Night 3  (my personal favorite)
2016 Austin City Limits
2017 One Big Holiday Night 3
2018 One Big Holiday Night 3

I do not recommend the 2015 Red Rocks version.  It was sandwiched into Steam Engine, and you really miss out on getting the real OMR experience.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

crooney

i love the 2015 masonic version of only memories.  just killer.

sillyboob

Two things I love about Never In The Real World...

That opening riff reminds me of the opening of Sturgill's cover of 'The Promise'.

The huge way the band comes in about one minute into the song.  Love that with headphones on.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Lucius

Quote from: sillyboob on Nov 10, 2021, 06:02 PM
Quote from: Lucius on Nov 10, 2021, 04:42 PMAre there any recordings of Only Memories out there where the crowd doesn't talk through it? Such a pretty song and I love the way it builds up live but I've never managed to find a taping where I'm not sitting there thinking "shut up shut up SHUT UP" about the crowd  :undecided:  :grin:

I'd track down these versions to start:
2015 KCRW The Waterfall show
2015 Masonic Auditorium, San Francisco Night 2
2015 One Big Holiday Night 3  (my personal favorite)
2016 Austin City Limits
2017 One Big Holiday Night 3
2018 One Big Holiday Night 3

I do not recommend the 2015 Red Rocks version.  It was sandwiched into Steam Engine, and you really miss out on getting the real OMR experience.

That Steam > Only Memories > Steam if it's the same one I remember was a painful listen. What was shaping up to potentially be an all time great Steam ruined by a few minutes of the crowd talking through OMR right in the middle of it :cry: why do people feel the need to have full blown conversations at concerts? It really infuriates me! :angry: That San Fran version is great though. Why didn't they think to build the song up like that in the studio?

Back over in "Self Titled" land. I was with a friend recently and during a Spotify Shuffle 'Love Love Love' came on and the friend LOVED it. Have also witnessed a couple of celebs I follow on Twitter post it. She's got appeal that one!
it wouldn't be a party without you