Songs you want to hear live

Started by Lucius, Jan 03, 2022, 09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucius

Listening to 'En La Ceremony' just now and it really blew me over, as it always does when I find my way back to it. I'd give both my arms to hear this jam live but I've accepted it's probably not gonna happen! I really do love it though, it's a more mellow, sexy relative of Wasted.

Also special shout outs from me to Come Closer, that rockin' version of Tonight I Want to Celebrate With You from the TTF20 show and First Light (I know a lot of you don't like the last one but I love it and it sounds like it's a lot of fun live! You can tell the band really dig it)

Are there any tracks, rare or not, that have so far evaded you live? What are you STILL waiting to hear live?
it wouldn't be a party without you

MMJCOBRA

Sooner and Chills are at the top of my list.

RobRoy286

Of the songs I haven't heard, my tops are...

Old September Blues
They Ran
Death is the Easy Way
Honest Man
Come Closer
It Makes No Difference

iLikeBeer

I don't have many white whales but Rollin' Back is at the top of the list for me!  I thought for sure I'd get it at the no repeat Port Chester run in 2012 but it didn't get played! 

Cameron

It Makes No Difference, Never in the Real World,In Color

MMJTX

1) Where to Begin
2) Grab a Body

That's the list
Anytime

SplatSplatSplat

Out of Range
Sooner
Oxen
How Do You Know?
Out of My System (Alt Universe Take)
I Can't Wait
Hillside Song
Old Sept Blues
Death is the Easy Way
Just Because I do
If it Smashes Down
I Needed It Most
Butch Cassidy

You need it.  That's for sure.

Nikkogino

sillyboob

Quote from: Nikkogino on Jan 21, 2022, 07:07 AMPicture of You

This is so epic live, they way they play this out.  A favorite for sure.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Come Closer

Not to hijack, but was Red Rocks 2016 the first time they really jammed out Picture of You? I remember being shocked they just kept going, but maybe I was just unaware of earlier versions that were extended the same way.

sillyboob

Quote from: Come Closer on Jan 21, 2022, 05:44 PMNot to hijack, but was Red Rocks 2016 the first time they really jammed out Picture of You? I remember being shocked they just kept going, but maybe I was just unaware of earlier versions that were extended the same way.

Looking at the bootlegs I have:
2004 Richmond VA Richmond, VA 5:10 stretched out a bit
  long stretch of no bootlegs with POY
2014 OBH 6:00 definitely stretched out
2015 Masonic Auditorium 4:55 shorter, but rocking as hell
2017 OBH 6:15 epic, probably my favorite version
2018 OBH 5:55 also a huge jam
2019 Red Rocks 6:05 more ragged version, only version with lyrics at the end of the song
2019 Port Chester 7:45 possibly the GOAT, just need an official release

Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Come Closer

Interesting, thanks. I was at OBH1, but apparently it didn't stand out to me. RR2016 is the first time I can remember thinking they really went in on it.

RobRoy286

Quote from: Come Closer on Jan 24, 2022, 02:20 PMInteresting, thanks. I was at OBH1, but apparently it didn't stand out to me. RR2016 is the first time I can remember thinking they really went in on it.
I usually don't bother trying to "rank" songs and performances, but...

Picture of You from Red Rocks 2016 is one of THE greatest performances of the band's history.

MMJTX

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Jan 26, 2022, 08:41 AM
Quote from: Come Closer on Jan 24, 2022, 02:20 PMInteresting, thanks. I was at OBH1, but apparently it didn't stand out to me. RR2016 is the first time I can remember thinking they really went in on it.

Picture of You from Red Rocks 2016 is one of THE greatest performances of the band's history.

Agreed.
Anytime

jttouch2

Top of my list is
Thank You Too!
Death is My Sleazy Pay

I was at the first two nights of Chicago, but had to miss N3 for a good friend's wedding-the pain of missing Thank You Too is still extraordinary

ericm

Quote from: MMJTX on Jan 26, 2022, 11:33 AM

Agreed.

You know at the time I would've said the same thing, and I know I've said this before but this past tour and the 2019 shows we're off the charts great and had epic performances of so many songs.

Especially this past Chicago run. I honestly found myself saying that was the best (insert any song) I've ever seen them do, and among the greatest in the band's history.

For me it reminds me of a Joe Torre quote when asked if his 98 Yankees were the best team ever. Joe said I don't know about that but we're in the discussion. Pretty much sums up my feelings on the Chicago run and how they just killed every tune. Were they the best ever? Can't say for certain, but they're in the discussion. At least as far as shows I've seen.  :thumbsup:
"Where's Jim going?"

Lucius

That Port Chester version of Picture of You is what turned me around to the song, the same with pretty much that whole album tbh. Even if we never get an official release of that show - that taping is one of the cleanest sounding tapings I've ever heard of the band! I listen to it instead of the actual album *runs for cover*

I would not complain if I heard Picture, Old Sept Blues, Nashville to Kentucky with that sax solo :cheesy:, The Dark, Twilight, Going to Hell...

Another one I've been digging again lately is when Jacket do Quick Like A Flash. I love the way they rip through that one.

it wouldn't be a party without you

APR

Quote from: MMJTX on Jan 26, 2022, 11:33 AM

Agreed.

I second or third this.  I still remember when the song ended that night and the feeling of WOW and looking for my buddy to high five. 

ericm..... I agree about what you said about Chicago too.  I was so hoping for Picture of You during that run (not only because it is one of my all time favorites) but also because it could have topped some of the great versions we have on boots, etc and maybe even that 2016 Red Rocks version we're talking about.  They had so many best versions of particular songs that Picture of You could have been insane.   

Clarkwork

How Could I know is my only white whale really
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

roffrs

How Do You Know, Chills, Come Closer, and How Could I Know are at the top of my list.

I have to add Aluminum Park too. Due to a train delay, I missed the start of my first MMJ show, and it's the only one I've attended that included AP in the set list.  :undecided:
Good luck comes from trying.