MMJ Music Heals

Started by Mr. White, Sep 30, 2021, 03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yeryl

I'm 57 and I've just discovered MMJ.  Im forever changed. I've never felt so connected, so enveloped, so deeply moved by an artist's music. This music is ME. It brings me blissfulness, and it brings me to tears. It plays all night long while I sleep.  I play it in my office all day at work.  I'm on an adventure, discovering more, watching so many videos. I'm enriched. My soul has been touched - by the music itself and Jim's "voice of an angel".

I need friends who get it! I need to see them live! And dang it, they were just in my area in October.  It seems I will have to wait. I'd love to meet up with folks before their next show, whenever that is, in the PNW.

~Yeryl!

Can't you see that I'm smiling?

rkwedge

Welcome to the addiction Yeryl  :beer:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

APR

Quote from: Yeryl on Jan 26, 2022, 10:36 PMI'm 57 and I've just discovered MMJ.  Im forever changed. I've never felt so connected, so enveloped, so deeply moved by an artist's music. This music is ME. It brings me blissfulness, and it brings me to tears. It plays all night long while I sleep.  I play it in my office all day at work.  I'm on an adventure, discovering more, watching so many videos. I'm enriched. My soul has been touched - by the music itself and Jim's "voice of an angel".

I need friends who get it! I need to see them live! And dang it, they were just in my area in October.  It seems I will have to wait. I'd love to meet up with folks before their next show, whenever that is, in the PNW.

~Yeryl!

Welcome.  And please report back after you see them live.  I think you'll be even more connected and enveloped. 

How did you discover them?

ranyart

Welcome aboard Yeryl!  Definitely interested in hearing about how you discovered MMJ, and also agree seeing them live is your next big adventure.  Lots of fun to be had here too if you haven't already found it.  Enjoy!

https://archive.org/search.php?query=my%20morning%20jacket

Yeryl

Hi ranyart! I'd heard (and loved) Feel You and had added it to my likes on Spotify several months ago. Then over the weekend I binged S4 of Ozark and heard Here in Spirit. I recognized that Jim James was the MMJ frontman and I started Googling and tumbled blissfully down the rabbit hole into musical nirvana. I'm obsessed!

Yeryl

Thank you!! Originally via the Xfinity/Music Choice adult alternative music station, then S4 of Ozark, Here in Spirit was played!

davymac

Quote from: Yeryl on Jan 28, 2022, 12:50 AMHi ranyart! I'd heard (and loved) Feel You and had added it to my likes on Spotify several months ago. Then over the weekend I binged S4 of Ozark and heard Here in Spirit. I recognized that Jim James was the MMJ frontman and I started Googling and tumbled blissfully down the rabbit hole into musical nirvana. I'm obsessed!

That's a cool discovery story, welcome!  Also reminds me I need to catch up on Ozarks  :cheesy:

ChiefOKONO

Great story and thanks for sharing.  It goes to show you never know when you'll discover something you will fall in love with.  I also was wondering how did you discover them?  Looking forward to reading your review of your first live show!

Quote from: Yeryl on Jan 26, 2022, 10:36 PMI'm 57 and I've just discovered MMJ.  Im forever changed. I've never felt so connected, so enveloped, so deeply moved by an artist's music. This music is ME. It brings me blissfulness, and it brings me to tears. It plays all night long while I sleep.  I play it in my office all day at work.  I'm on an adventure, discovering more, watching so many videos. I'm enriched. My soul has been touched - by the music itself and Jim's "voice of an angel".

~Yeryl!

rkwedge

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Jan 28, 2022, 01:08 PMGreat story and thanks for sharing.  It goes to show you never know when you'll discover something you will fall in love with.  I also was wondering how did you discover them?  Looking forward to reading your review of your first live show!
I want to go to that 1st show with Yeryl. I live in the PNW also and would love to be there, going to a show with a newbie who has never heard of them before is one thing but going with someone who knows the music but has yet to see them live is another level, usually involves tears of joy and disbelief.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

Yeryl

It's a deal! I'm so thrilled to have someone to share this future event with!

Quote from: rkwedge on Jan 28, 2022, 01:38 PM
Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Jan 28, 2022, 01:08 PMGreat story and thanks for sharing.  It goes to show you never know when you'll discover something you will fall in love with.  I also was wondering how did you discover them?  Looking forward to reading your review of your first live show!
I want to go to that 1st show with Yeryl. I live in the PNW also and would love to be there, going to a show with a newbie who has never heard of them before is one thing but going with someone who knows the music but has yet to see them live is another level, usually involves tears of joy and disbelief.

ericm

Welcome Yeryl and thanks for posting. Always a good thing to see new fans discover this great band.

As others have said, you're in for a big treat when you do get to see them live. They're one of if not the best live rock band out there and their shows for me have become quite the addiction over the past dozen years.  :thumbsup:

They never disappoint and truly give everything they've got to their fans, both onstage and in any other way they can.

One huge bonus to the great music and shows (probably as you can tell from being here) is a tremendous family like fan base. I've met and hung with so many great people over the years that it's like a family reunion when I get to see them. Truly a special thing, and something I look forward to every tour.

I've gone to some shows solo and always met new cool people to hang with and enjoy the show, and I'm sure you'll have a similar experience. Be sure to add your name to the Roll Call here of any show you're going to. A fun way to see who is going to each show and also where some pre show meetup details are shared, as well as letting people know what show you'll be at.

Hope to meet you on the road sometime.
"Where's Jim going?"

Mr. White

This is doing the job for me at the moment.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

rincon2

Quote from: Mr. White on Nov 30, 2021, 07:37 PMMazda 3 Wreck Damage - Where To Begin - My Morning Jacket

I got in a wreck on the evening of Thursday, November 30, 2017 when turning down the road that is less than a mile from my house in Hodgenville. A pick-up truck slammed into my passenger side and totaled the car. I wound up with 4 broken ribs and some minor cuts and scrapes and four stitches in my elbow. "Always starting over, but somehow I always know where to begin".

Four years ago, at right about this time of night, 7:30 p.m., my life changed forever. I'm having problems physically that are not related to this wreck, but I suspect the trauma of the wreck has done some untold damage on me both mentally and physically that has certainly exacerbated my problems related to my cervical spinal stenosis. I'm relying more and more on the power of healing music, and for several months now, My Morning Jacket have been my primary source of the magic. I'm not doing well, and I need it now more than ever.
Wow! never saw pics of the car. I remember the day it happened. I was a week away from flying out to Louisville look for a house and had been in communication with you. Somehow your brother contacted me, probably a DM from this site, and told me of the accident. A hit on the driver side would have been.. well I'm sure you know. Glad you have recovered, at least for the most part. Otherwise who would have taken a picture of me where it looks like I am sitting next to Bernie? See you in Nashville if not sooner. (Going to Austin also to take my nephew and also hang with a friend I met at OBH1. Missing the walking distance show at the Waterfront due to family reunion)

Mr. White

Music Heals. It always has, and it always will. It continues to do so for me on a daily basis, and unless I lose my hearing, it will continue to Heal me until the end of my days. Music speaks to me and has been integral in my development as a human being and has been enhanced by my interactions with other musically oriented individuals for most all of my 55 years of life. I have been blessed with guardian angels throughout my life. They have come to me in dreams, in messages during silence, in messages while listening to music, in nature, and in person through human contact, and virtually through the Interweb. The convergence of Music, art, and activism expressed through and infused into the collective consciousness has always fascinated me and moved me in one way or another. Helpers have emerged from these areas of my reality when I needed it most. When I called out in distress last Fall (right here on the My Morning Jacket Forum and through other social media platforms that I no longer visit), the call was answered. This time, a guardian angel, who was one of many that had reached out to me after my 2017 car wreck, has been willing to go above and beyond anything I could have ever expected in order to help me. They have been working with me on Mindfulness, meditation, low impact or seated yoga, nutrition, spirituality, religion, forgiveness, relationships with family members and friends, happiness and sadness, and openness to other possibilities in reality and in the mind itself. They are rooted in the arts, in music, and in activism, which are all of my favorite domains. My family responsibilities have weighed very heavily on me for many, many years, but I've recently come to realize that my own mental health and spiritual stability (as well as my physical structure, stableness, and resilience) are more important right now. Without my own stability, I will be of no use or service to those around me that I have some degree of responsibility for. I am Healing. I will Heal more. I am thankful for the path I have chosen for myself and for the guardian angel the Heavens sent down to guard me, watch over me, motivate me, work with me, teach me, console me, counsel me, pray with and for me, and Heal me. I am thankful for my mind and for my willingness to be more open and accepting of what can be and for the wisdom to reject and eliminate what is destructive and unnecessary. My wife has also been my main guardian angel and has been by my side for decades. She humbles me and brings me back down to Earth and to my senses (for the most part). She is my savior in all of this. She catches me, props me back up, listens to my inner and outer dialogues with myself when I shout out in despair into the wind, and she informs me when I'm being ridiculous in my thinking. I am constantly listening to Healing Music or at least thinking about it and making plans on what I will listen to next and when I'll be able to fit it into my schedule (every single day). I have also decided I am an artist (again) and will do more with my talents than just videography and photography (although those areas have been my only real creative outlet these past many years). I will pick up and utilize the tools of my former self. I will draw and sketch. I probably won't paint again, but I will keep that as an option. I will play the hand-drums I own again (two djembes and a set of bongos). I used to be a musician and still sing from time to time. I will try to do these things once again but in my own time. I will also cut out damaging things and people from my life, in order to regain some sense of control and calmness and to reduce my culpability and guilt in the destruction of my world and the planet as a whole. I will continue to keep a more detailed journal of my thoughts and experiences, in order to reflect and remember. I will continue to seek out more local and authentic experiences in Music, art, and activism in order to feel useful, connected, grounded, and relevant to our current state of affairs and for the future generation(s). I will volunteer more in the community, especially with the local homeless shelter(s) and with Kentuckians For The Commonwealth. Over the past several years, I have grown more aware of all the corrosive and corrupting elements all around each and every one of us in our modern society. I have begun taking active steps to limit my negative impact on the natural world and on people who are crushed by corporate greed and governmental collusion with those same corporations and the unfeeling/unthinking capitalistic entities who only care about maximizing profit at the expense of all of us in the 99% and who value militaristic dominance of the World, facilitated by unending propaganda, with glee because the death and destruction they spawn is a fabulous money-making opportunity. I have successfully boycotted many big businesses who engage in underhanded and destructive practices for higher profit margins or who engage in racist and dehumanizing practices as a matter of business. I have been buying most of my food from local farmers directly. For at least 5 years, I have been buying beef from a farm about 76 miles up the road that specializes in grass-fed beef from cattle that graze in rotating natural pastures and fields from birth until death. I have most recently begun taking part in crop share agriculture programs with two different local farmers that collect the money up front and split up the weekly crop yield between those individuals and families who have signed up for and invested in this service that will last throughout the spring, summer, and into the fall. One of the farmers is about 20 miles down the road and delivers the food to their mother's house for local pick-up which is about half a mile away from me, and the other one is only 3 miles away from my house and delivers the food directly to my front porch. I buy soaps and balms and other skin care products directly from a bee keeper who produces his unique items up the road in Louisville about 55 miles away. I have cut out buying "stuff" we don't really need and try really hard to buy directly from the merchant instead of massive corporations in their one-stop-shopping mega-stores. The only "stuff" I continue to buy lots and lots of is ... you guessed it ... Music. I still prefer having a hard copy of the product in my hands. I buy vinyl record albums (usually directly from the artist or from local independent record stores ... and as Jim says, "It's all about the local shit, the independent shit"). I buy lots of CDs and concert DVDs/Blu-rays. I even buy cassette tapes that are being produced again for new album releases by independent artists on a limited basis. I do buy digital downloads to play on computers and portable devices with my headphones and earphones and to convert to CDs to be played in my car or on jam-boxes (yes, I still have jam-boxes), but I tend to buy directly from the band/artist or smaller independent artist friendly outlets like Bandcamp (I don't subscribe to streaming services). If we don't support artists, there won't be any art (or at least not near as much of it and as accessible as we have become accustomed to). The artists will have to find other work doing something else and won't be able to do the thing they were put on this Earth to do. They were put here to entertain us, enlighten us, soothe us, delight us, thrill us, make us sad, make us mad, make us better humans, motivate us to act and react, and inspire us to create for our own sake and for the betterment of the World. Music Heals. It Heals me, and I hope it Heals you too.

ranyart

https://www.theeatonfarm.com/

These are our local farmers.  They live about 10 minutes away from us.  We get our proteins from them (the usual's chicken+eggs/turkey/beef/pork) and we also get our veggies from them as much as we can (right now it's strawberry and asparagus season in addition to lettuce and kale).  They stopped doing their CSA in Madison because they were having troubles with folks not showing up but they are still going every week to the farmer's market in Cincinnati's Hyde Park/Oakley neighborhood.  We are fortunate enough to be able to stop by their house and pickup our order.  :thumbsup:

There is nothing like fresh farm food.  Everything tastes better and the fresh stuff lasts way longer.  The potatoes in particular are unbelievably good - never had anything like them not sure if it's due to the soil or simply because they are so fresh.  We still do plenty of Krogering but it's truly amazing to be able to get what we can get from the Eaton's.

If anyone out there in MMJ land connects with Jerry and Liz make sure to tell them Betsy and Kurt say hey!

Mr. White

"What the World Needs Now Is Love" is a 1965 popular song with lyrics by Hal David and music composed by Burt Bacharach. First recorded and made popular by Jackie DeShannon, it was released on April 15, 1965, on the Imperial label after a release on sister label Liberty records the previous month was canceled. It peaked at number seven on the US Hot 100 in July of that year.[1] In Canada, the song reached number one.

This version by MMJ always gets me, and I guess it's a good time to share it again.

Thank you Burt Bacharach!
Thank you My Morning Jacket!