Main Menu

Dawes

Started by kotchishm, Jun 07, 2011, 01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralph

Those 1st 2 records are gold. I'd rather 2 Dawes sets at OBH2 than 2 BOH sets...
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

rincon2

I don't really care who opens up for them. I'm there for 3 2.5 hour MMJ shows. Actually, the less I care for the openers, the more rested and less impaired I may be for the real show.

walterfredo

is Dawes worth seeing?  I thought I had seen them before but starting to think I haven't.  Haven't been blown away by any of their music I've listened to.  They're playing tonight in a tiny venue just a mile or so from my house, not sure they're worth $20 and staying up way past my bed time on a work night (yeah, I'm 40).

johnnYYac

Quote from: walterfredo on Oct 08, 2014, 03:02 PM
is Dawes worth seeing?  I thought I had seen them before but starting to think I haven't.  Haven't been blown away by any of their music I've listened to.  They're playing tonight in a tiny venue just a mile or so from my house, not sure they're worth $20 and staying up way past my bed time on a work night (yeah, I'm 40).
I caught Dawes in Iowa City last fall and enjoyed it.  I spoke with Taylor for a bit before the show.  Their set was solid.  That said, you seem less than enthused... And, of course, they'll be at OBH.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Angelo

I saw them open twice, most recently for Conor Oberst and was underwhelmed both times. I then saw them back Conor Oberst and they fucking ripped. I came to the realization while I watched the show that they are a really awesome backing band. I would see them back up Conor again in a heartbeat.

Angelo

And I don't say that in a disrespectful way at all. I mean it as a compliment even though it doesn't sound like one.

Lucius

Saw these guys last night in London, they were awesome! Been a fan ever since I saw them open for MMJ at Shepard's Bush Empire in 2015. They were on fire and the crowd was wild! I was at the barrier for the whole show with some of their hardcore fans that follow them everywhere who were all saying it was one of their best ever shows. Really nice of Taylor to hang out at the merch stand after the show and talk to everyone too, he's a really nice guy!

Their music is so much bigger live. As much as I love their albums I really hope they manage to replicate their live sound in the studio some day, on stage they're a whole other level!
it wouldn't be a party without you

Lucius

Just popping in to mention their new album "Misadventures of Doomscroller" which they seem to be releasing one song at a time... each song featuring some kind of jam - some quite hefty! Their last few albums, whilst enjoyable did feel a bit "autopilot" in places.

They sound really refreshed on this one, and the jams feel totally natural and breezy. These songs sound much closer to how they sound live, which is a great thing! Because as I said above a few years ago they are much better live than on record!

it wouldn't be a party without you

ChiefOKONO

Thanks for the heads up, the new song is pretty nice, digging it!
Definitely like their jam style.

A long time ago I think I saw Simon Dawes but can't really recall since it's been so long.  Haven't really followed them but I'm going to check out some more tunes....

jttouch2

Dawes is easily a top 3 band for me (with MMJ and Wilco), and this is definitely their best album since All Your Favorite Bands. He's always been a great songwriter but this pushes the limits for them in every possible way, and the jams are incredible.

MyYinzerJacket

Good call on this Lucius, this might be the best music they've released in quite some time!  They are a great time live and these tunes capture that magic.
It's somewhat similar to the ST MMJ album, in that they work some longer jams into the studio versions of the songs. It feels more natural and will lend to an even better live show.

Quote from: Lucius on Jul 11, 2022, 06:53 AMJust popping in to mention their new album "Misadventures of Doomscroller" which they seem to be releasing one song at a time... each song featuring some kind of jam - some quite hefty! Their last few albums, whilst enjoyable did feel a bit "autopilot" in places.

They sound really refreshed on this one, and the jams feel totally natural and breezy. These songs sound much closer to how they sound live, which is a great thing! Because as I said above a few years ago they are much better live than on record!

Came for the reverb, stayed for the jams

ChiefOKONO

I am now totally into Dawes!  Thank you folks for helping me on that front :)

I really dig that song All your favorite Bands!!