Berkeley Greek with Fleet Foxes

Started by walterfredo, Feb 08, 2023, 01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walterfredo

just grabbed a pair for Saturday. Will most likely skip Friday, then bolt down to LA for the Sunday HW Bowl show.

panic34

C'mon, Walter - don't skip Friday! Can't imagine they'll repeat any songs and it's the Greek!

I serendipitously saw Fleet Foxes at Edgefield in July with a last-minute free ticket from a friend, and they sounded amazing. It was a perfect summer show with a nicely curated setlist, some fun stage banter, and just really good vibes. Love this twin-bill and hoping of course for some crossover, maybe a few covers. Regardless, so stoked that we get both these bands at an incomparable venue in late summer - no doubt it'll be wonderful.

brob

Any recommendations on where to stay near the Greek?

rincon2

Quote from: walterfredo on Feb 08, 2023, 01:08 PMjust grabbed a pair for Saturday. Will most likely skip Friday, then bolt down to LA for the Sunday HW Bowl show.
I don't know if you have ever been to a Hollywood Bowl show, but it is HUGE. Last time there I saw the Cure. They were what seemed like a half mile away. And there were seats behind me that made it feel like I was only halfway back. The second show at the Greek would be priority if I still lived in California.

walterfredo

Quote from: rincon2 on Feb 09, 2023, 07:34 AM
Quote from: walterfredo on Feb 08, 2023, 01:08 PMjust grabbed a pair for Saturday. Will most likely skip Friday, then bolt down to LA for the Sunday HW Bowl show.
I don't know if you have ever been to a Hollywood Bowl show, but it is HUGE. Last time there I saw the Cure. They were what seemed like a half mile away. And there were seats behind me that made it feel like I was only halfway back. The second show at the Greek would be priority if I still lived in California.

been to the HW Bowl several times. I am shocked they're playing there, I gotta imagine it'll be half full at best. But I will still be there.

ranyart

Quote from: brob on Feb 08, 2023, 09:38 PMAny recommendations on where to stay near the Greek?

There's not a lot of options in Berkeley itself.  There is a DoubleTree at the marina which obviously is right on the water which would be good (never stayed there but looks good from the outside - great views of the bay, SF, and the bridges).  I have stayed at the Claremont Club & Spa several times and it's great as long as you don't mind spending some money.  Past that there are some other not so nice hotels in Berkeley and of course there are plenty of hotels elsewhere if you don't mind riding BART.

sillyboob

Quote from: walterfredo on Feb 09, 2023, 12:00 PM
Quote from: rincon2 on Feb 09, 2023, 07:34 AM

Yeah, not too happy about the Bowl, but it is what it is.  As far as places to stay near the Greek in Berkeley, the last couple of times my wife & I went there (for The National & for My Morning Jacket) we stayed in AirBNBs in Kensington or close to the campus.  Parking for the show was in a nearby parking structure, and driving there and back was pretty easy.  Definitely bummed to be skipping the Greek shows, but planning a Portugal trip later in the year and need to hold onto vacation days (and money).

been to the HW Bowl several times. I am shocked they're playing there, I gotta imagine it'll be half full at best. But I will still be there.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

walterfredo

Quote from: brob on Feb 08, 2023, 09:38 PMAny recommendations on where to stay near the Greek?

we are staying at the Shattuck Plaza. Stayed there for jacket last time and have stayed there for other greek shows. Great hotel near great food and bar options, near a BART stop and an easy walk to/from the venue.

Note: hotels are even more expensive than "normal" that weekend as it is the first weekend of school at Cal and I think a lot of parents are in town moving there freshman kids into the dorms.

Doubletree in the Marina is just OK, IMO. While it does have some potentially great SF views, you are kinda removed from all food and bar options and it is not walkable to the venue. I would say the Shattuck Plaza or the Graduate are the best options for nice hotels that are walkable. The Claremont is indeed amazing but it'll cost you a lot more than the options I've mentioned.

brob

Thanks for all the recommendations!

DaydreamNation

Is this show selling poorly? Looks like there are still lots of tickets available for both nights at all levels
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

brob

Capacity is 8,500 which is a pretty big number for Jacket even with Fleet Foxes.  Hard to tell how it is selling since it is all GA. 

DaydreamNation

Really regretting buying tickets to this--there is a delivery hold in place until 7 days before the show, so between that and tickets still available on TM I think I am stuck with eating the cost if I cannot make the trip. Since I bought them, MMJ announced the Chicago run and FF announced a tour that's coming to my city...makes this very expensive weekend much less appealing, oh well.

So if you want two tix to both of the BB shows for below face and would be happy trusting me based on receipts until I can transfer in Aug...hit me up ha
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

walterfredo

can no longer make Berkeley, have 2 tix for sale for Saturday show if anyone needs.

gardenparty78

No One Big Holiday over the 2 shows.  Interesting

MyYinzerJacket

Quote from: gardenparty78 on Aug 21, 2023, 11:45 AMNo One Big Holiday over the 2 shows.  Interesting

They may have been doing no repeats across the 3 nights, so saving that for night 3 would sound about right
Came for the reverb, stayed for the jams

gardenparty78

that could very well be true. Hadn't heard it mentioned. cool