If It Smashes Down

Started by eiseyrokker, Nov 16, 2006, 03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easy Morning Rebel

I love that song too. It's one of my absolute favorites of all MMJ songs. It really is beautiful!
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/"]http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/[/url]

Even cowgirls get the blues

colleen

I am loving reading what you are writing about this.  I feel wierd saying this because I'm not comfortable with new agey crystal waving stuff but I've done a bit of meditation involving the chakras. Some of my experiences with it were in some ways similar to experiences with hallucinogenics (which I don't do anymore because reality is intense enough without them). Don't know if this will make sense in words, but one of the things I realized in both kinds of experience was the feeling of knowing that I am not my senses, but that only by really experiencing all senses at once could I actually feel this. Don't think I've ever experienced my whole LIFE as one sense, that sounds pretty evolved. Once while meditating next to a close friend (both doing the same exercise), I had this feeling that she was having difficulty moving through the exercise, and I tried to help her. Amazingly, when we both opened our eyes, she described my involvement even in terms of the colors we both felt and where in her body she felt energy blocks. It was at that point that I started to believe much more strongly in what you might call a universal language or that there really wasn't a big separation between people.  There has been some interesting writing in fields like quantum physics about this kind of experience but thinking about it too much makes my head hurt. I only wish I could have that kind of experience of total immersion or losing myself when I paint or draw or live in general, but I think it's fear and judgement that always stops me. Wouldn't doubt that MMJ are regularly in touch with a universal language or force or whatever you wanna call it in a much deeper way than I can imagine. It certainly comes through in the music, and I definitely felt that right away when I first heard it and still do.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

megisnotreal

I love this song.

As far as synesthesia is concerned... sure, drugs can enhance those feelings, but I think the hallmark of a successful writer is his or her ability to use words to evoke certain emotions and memories from the reader/listener. We all associate certain memories with smells or sounds or feelings, and a truly effective writer knows that. Sure, you want to get your feelings across to the audience, but you also want to craft your words in such a manner that they (your words) will be able to touch those little fragments of emotion or memory we all have locked away somewhere.

That's one of many, many, many reasons why I love Jim's lyrical ability. "It Smashes Down} seems to use this "universal language," because we're all able to hold this song dear to us for so many different reasons. We all hear the same song, but when listening, we're inundated with a vast array of emotions... it's an entirely different experience for each of us.

That's what makes it so beautiful.

Here's what I get out of it:

When I listen to it, I think about standing outside barefoot around 4am sometime in the spring... and the grass is wet and your feet are kind of cold, but you don't mind; the chilly morning has enveloped you, and all you feel is a warm peacefulness.

I think this song seems to perfectly capture the emotions you feel during the point five seconds that happen before a first kiss. You know, nervous and giddy at the same time.

This song makes me long for something without knowing what I am longing for.

LET_THE_FETUS_ROCK

THe first time I listened to At Dawn This song was the one that truely lept out at me.  THe picking pattern on the banjo and the the voice of a ghost in a rocking chair was  just so vivid.  I felt like I was listening to pure artistic genius. THe kind that is so natural you feel instantly alive and connected to the world.  I think Jim is the absolute artist of our time and I'm just glad I know him.
I will be there when you die!

mcloo7

Hey TomEisenburg, great thread. You're a pretty good writer yourself. I'm ashamed to say that If It Smashes Down has, so far, usually been the one song that I skip when I listen to At Dawn, but I'll start listenening to it again.

I think Where to Begin is a great example of Jim's lyrical greatness. It might not seem obvious, but the chorus to this song is so poetic, in a very subtle way:
"Always starting over, but somehow I always know where to begin."
"Over" and "know here" ryhme. I love rhymes that don't seem like rhymes upon first glance.

Another great line from the way that he sings is: WHy so great just to wake everyday, alive, by your side.

Trey Parker, the creator of Southpark has also said that he's never done drugs by the way.

sweatboard

Tom IS brilliant and he's only 19........ :o

You should also check out his music.  What's that link again Tom?  Not to mention he can grow a beard that makes me want to have a sex change.  Ok, enough of that..........Check Out Tom's MUSIC!!!!!!!!  
There's Still Time.........

rob

QuoteTom IS brilliant and he's only 19........ :o

You should also check out his music.  What's that link again Tom?  Not to mention he can grow a beard that makes me want to have a sex change.  Ok, enough of that..........Check Out Tom's MUSIC!!!!!!!!  

Back away from the "Eisenburg", or you're asking for a catfight!  ;D
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

sweatboard

I was going to photo shop a beard onto it but It was going to take to long..........so just imagine it with a beard.
There's Still Time.........

Jernigan

I've layed my children down at night with this song on repeat on numerous occasions,  and we would fall asleep as gently as could be.

It's also one of the first 2-3 MMJ songs I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. It was that, and "I will be there when you die", and "The Bear". Then I picked up "Z" and was like...what? This is amazing too......then the back catalogue unfolded in front of my eyes, and I haven't looked back since.

What strikes me the most is that I only just found them as "Z" was being released....but yet now that I have all of the albums from the past.....they all feel so familiar. It's comforting.....and I believe I owe alot of my mental stability right now to them, and the music.

So thanx to Tom for the thread, and a big thanx to the guys for making this music. I'm really not sure where I would be without it......So thank you.

ycartrob

QuoteI am loving reading what you are writing about this.  I feel wierd saying this because I'm not comfortable with new agey crystal waving stuff but I've done a bit of meditation involving the chakras. Some of my experiences with it were in some ways similar to experiences with hallucinogenics (which I don't do anymore because reality is intense enough without them). Don't know if this will make sense in words, but one of the things I realized in both kinds of experience was the feeling of knowing that I am not my senses, but that only by really experiencing all senses at once could I actually feel this. Don't think I've ever experienced my whole LIFE as one sense, that sounds pretty evolved. Once while meditating next to a close friend (both doing the same exercise), I had this feeling that she was having difficulty moving through the exercise, and I tried to help her. Amazingly, when we both opened our eyes, she described my involvement even in terms of the colors we both felt and where in her body she felt energy blocks. It was at that point that I started to believe much more strongly in what you might call a universal language or that there really wasn't a big separation between people.  There has been some interesting writing in fields like quantum physics about this kind of experience but thinking about it too much makes my head hurt. I only wish I could have that kind of experience of total immersion or losing myself when I paint or draw or live in general, but I think it's fear and judgement that always stops me. Wouldn't doubt that MMJ are regularly in touch with a universal language or force or whatever you wanna call it in a much deeper way than I can imagine. It certainly comes through in the music, and I definitely felt that right away when I first heard it and still do.

nice story. I, too, share the uncomfortableness of the "new agey crystal waving stuff", but I have had experiences over the past summer where I reached some blissful spiritual planes (Bear Butte, South Dakota and the Badlands) that I totally cannot deny. No drugs, no alcohol, no sleep deprivation or fasting, just pure, genuine, authentic, maintained feelings of this oneness.

My wife is a reiki practitioner and has told me of visions she has had with total strangers while doing reiki and this person will confirm her feelings (or visions).

It's really hard to have the discipline (for me) to stay in touch. I have been reading the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh, which have been blowing my mind. http://seaox.com/thich.html

As I am growing older, I feel more drwan to a universal spiritualty rather than teachings of one specific religion.

There is so much we do not comprehend...

colleen

Certain landscapes definitely seem to evoke those feelings of oneness. Beaches on the Pacific Northwest coast and similar settings in Northern Ireland have provided that space for me.

Thich Nhat Hanh has written some really incredible stuff. I love how really simple it all is, but so powerful if you can just slow down enough to hear it (I have trouble with the slowing down part). "No Death, No Fear" is the book of his that helped me the most in my life. I have the audio version of it and listened to it a bunch of times after my dad passed 2 years ago. Made me realize that death is really just a change in form. Like when a tree "dies" it actually provides new life for millions of organisms. It's not gone-that's just a human projection. It's nice to be able to embrace ideas of life continuing without all the catholic baggage of my youth. Tibetan Book of Living and Dying is also excellent, but I needed to read it over the course of a few months because it can be very intense and overwhelming.

It's nice to hear a little about the connection you and your wife share.  I really respect Reiki and the tradition it comes from. And it definitely works- my cat has even responded to it!
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

Hoptimus Prime

Lets bring back a super old post rather than starting a new one!  I finally got a banjo and was hoping for a video on YouTube or something to start learning the song.  Anyone have a pro tip for me?
5/24/2003, and every damn time possible since!