MONSTERS OF FOLK!!

Started by Shakeykneez, Jun 10, 2009, 11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakeykneez

Not sure if this has been posted yet.  From jambands.com:

Jim James, Conor Oberst and M. Ward are the Monsters of Folk

My Morning Jacket's Jim James, Bright Eyes visionary Conor Oberst and singer/songwriter M. Ward will release a collaborative album as Monsters of Folk on September 22. The self-titled project was produced by Nebraskan native Mike Mogis and will feature original material by all three songwriters. Mogis has produced several Bright Eyes records and also worked with M. Ward on his Post-War album. Though no official announcement has been made, the group is expected to tour after the album's release.

James, Oberst and Ward first toured together under the Monsters of Folk alias in 2004. Each musician would play his own short set and then the three performers would collaborate on a mix of original songs and covers (including classics like Bob Dylan's "Girl Of The North Country" and Willie Nelson's "Always On My Mind).

"M. Ward, Conor Oberst and myself have done several tours together called the Monsters of Folk," James told Relix/Jambands.com a few years ago. "We'd play during each other's sets and do our own sets as well. And M. went out on tour with us a few years ago. We were his backing band, and he'd come out and play with is."

The modern folkies have also collaborated in a variety of settings over the past five years. Notably, in 2006 James sat in with Bright Eyes at Bonnaroo, and in 2008 Ward joined My Morning Jacket onstage at Coachella.

capt. scotty

Holy shit, no one here knew about Monsters of Folk!  ::)

September 22 being the date is news to me though  :)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

bold99

I'm kind of surprised its that quick..most interviews I read with M Ward and others said it was going to be 2010 possibly.  This is great news.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

Shakeykneez

QuoteHoly shit, no one here knew about Monsters of Folk!  ::)

September 22 being the date is news to me though  :)

Um...yeah I knew I wasn't breaking any news about Monsters of Folk.  Though I thought I might sprain some news with information on the album release date.  I'm glad I could provide you the opportunity to share your witty sarcasm.  

BH

Sweet!  A release date is HUGE news!!!!!  That's only 3 months and some change away.  Fall is going to be excellent.  This will be the soundtrack to my beach vacation this year! [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

capt. scotty

QuoteSweet!  A release date is HUGE news!!!!!  That's only 3 months and some change away.  Fall is going to be excellent.  This will be the soundtrack to my beach vacation this year! [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

you beach vaykay in late september?!  

or do you gots a hookup?

:-? ::)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

BH

QuoteSweet!  A release date is HUGE news!!!!!  That's only 3 months and some change away.  Fall is going to be excellent.  This will be the soundtrack to my beach vacation this year! [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

or do you gots a hookup?

Late October actually.   Kids on fall break.  Prices are MUCH MUCH cheaper.  We'll have the beach practically to ourselves.  It won't be 95 degrees and humid as hell.

Gulf Shores average high is still in the low 80s for October.  

Only gamble is with the dreaded hurricane season.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

searchinbig

or do you gots a hookup?

Late October actually.   Kids on fall break.  Prices are MUCH MUCH cheaper.  We'll have the beach practically to ourselves.  It won't be 95 degrees and humid as hell.

Gulf Shores average high is still in the low 80s for October.  

Only gamble is with the dreaded hurricane season.

Same with the Joisey shore. Best time is after Labor Day.  :)
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

Penny Lane

Search--where do you go to the Joisey Shore?

This is GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT...it's also right before our first BIG TEN FOOTBALL game of the season......RUCKUS-we are taking on the crying Illini------i think september is my favorite month......i can't wait to see MOF tour although i'd trade that and my kneecap for an MMJ tour.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

BH

Well the top two things on my "Need to See Live Still" list are M. Ward and Jim James solo so this would kill two birds with one stone!

vespachick

This is awesome news!! I love to vacay in the Fall, too! Monsters of Folk on Dia De Los Muertos?  MMmmmwwaaaaaaaa! ;D
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Murph

I checked the boards randomly not expecting for any sort of big news, and see this....AWESOMME

I guess this is why MMJ is on hiatus for 2009, but i think it will be well worth it

Love Dogg

QuoteWell the top two things on my "Need to See Live Still" list are M. Ward and Jim James solo so this would kill two birds with one stone!

I feel you, BH...however, I prefer the more PC, "feed two birds with one crum." :)
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

weeniebeenie

September?!?!?!?! This is great news.
How loud can silence get?

BH

QuoteWell the top two things on my "Need to See Live Still" list are M. Ward and Jim James solo so this would kill two birds with one stone!

I feel you, BH...however, I prefer the more PC, "feed two birds with one crum." :)

How can two birds live off of half a crum?  They will starve to death slowly.  Now THAT"S cruel.    ;)

Love Dogg

How can two birds live off of half a crum?  They will starve to death slowly.  Now THAT"S cruel.    ;)

Good point, my friend... :-/
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

bold99

Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

The DARK

I'm starting to wonder if he's officially changed his stage name to Yim Yames...
In another time, in another place, in another face

capt. scotty

QuoteI'm starting to wonder if he's officially changed his stage name to Yim Yames...

fer realz yo!  

I wonder if some fan just made that site or something though ;D

Shakeykneez

Some more info:

Monsters of Folk – comprised of Bright Eyes' Conor Oberst and Mike Mogis, My Morning Jacket's Jim James and M. Ward – will be releasing their first collaborative album on September 22. The self-titled effort was recorded in Malibu, CA and Omaha, NE, and produced by Mogis. Although these critically acclaimed artists have shared the stage before, this album marks their first recorded output as a band.

Monsters of Folk began as folklore of sorts, when James, Oberst, Ward and Mogis did their first run of shows together in 2004. Like the musical revue shows that went town to town when rock 'n' roll was newly born, the tour was called "An Evening With: Bright Eyes, Jim James and M. Ward," although amongst friends and crew, it became affectionately known as the "Monsters of Folk Tour." While entertaining audiences coast to coast with gorgeous acoustic melodies and world-weary tales, the foursome vowed to make their way to a studio at some point after the tour's completion. Instead, the songsmiths went on to individually release some of rock music's most exciting albums of the last five years – Bright Eyes' I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning and Cassadaga; My Morning Jacket's Z and Evil Urges; M. Ward's Post War and Hold Time. Never ones to forget their promises, when downtime presented itself, they convened in the studio multiple times over two years, with Mogis at the helm of their first recorded effort.

All four members play every instrument on the album, supplying everything from drum fills to cascading backing vocals. The songs – some road-worn fables, some intimate and intricate with electronic elements, some woozy and sun-soaked – are everything one might expect from these four musical minds collaborating together.

Track Listing:

1. Dear God (sincerely M.O.F.)
2. Say Please
3. Whole Lotta Losin'
4. Temazcal
5. The Right Place
6. Baby Boomer
7. Man Named Truth
8. Goodway
9. Ahead of the Curve
10. Slow Down Jo
11. Losin Yo Head