Main Menu

Started by ali, Jan 26, 2006, 04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ali

happy australia day people!!

bring on the beer & pavlova!!
love a song for the way it makes you feel

wellfleet

i've loved australia ever since crocodile dundee... the whole country seems so magical. every time the discovery channel ot travel channel have something on australia, or new zealand, or tazmania, i make it a point to watch. it seems to me that these countires place a value of preserving nature and habitat. plus, all the people i've met from down under have been so friendly. and two of my friends who ran off there for six months apiece freakin' loved it.
so long live australia!  ;)
everything sucks. really.

ali

oh god crocodile dundee, that's a bit cringe-worthy!! have you seen the crocodile hunter (very bogan man running around in tiny shorts going "crikey! he's got me by the leg, he's a tought little fella!!" etc... another okker-australian export)

yeah down under is pretty spesh. best island continent in the world ;D

sorry wellfleet, no "z" in tasmania - blame walt disney for that one... mmj's "z" is always welcome though!!

ratsprayer

im fascinated with australia, as well.  i hope to travel and see it all one day, but im sure ill need months and months.  im a nature dork, so there seems to be plenty there for me!   ;)

ali

the more time the better! i've lived here 27.5 years & i still have so much to see! (uluru for one!)

i guess it depends what bit you want to see - we have pretty much a bit of everything ( i think possibly active volcanoes & glaciers might be the only things we don't have?? ) nature dork... excellent! ;D  i guess i'd be classified one too, even though i live in the city. i went bushwalking while i was home at christmas, & it is good for the soul being out in nature

the only downside to oz would possibly be the number of things in nature that can either kill or eat you... not so much fun!

aMillionDreams

Quotethe more time the better! i've lived here 27.5 years & i still have so much to see! (uluru for one!)

i guess it depends what bit you want to see - we have pretty much a bit of everything ( i think possibly active volcanoes & glaciers might be the only things we don't have?? ) nature dork... excellent! ;D  i guess i'd be classified one too, even though i live in the city. i went bushwalking while i was home at christmas, & it is good for the soul being out in nature

the only downside to oz would possibly be the number of things in nature that can either kill or eat you... not so much fun!

Yeah, I've been in the city too long.  This summer I'm going to spent some extended time in nature.  Someday I'll go to OZ!!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

dragonboy

P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way Sydney  ;D

HAPPY B'DAY OZ - have a great day Ali !!!
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

for_you_only

im going there in a week for a semester!!

wellfleet

sorry, that was actually an unfortunate typo, the S is right next to the z key and i was eating pizza...
when you're 8, crocodile dundee, indiana jones and GI Joe are your heroic idols... i didn't know any better.
now i love Oz because of nicole kidman... just kidding...
i just think it's really pretty
everything sucks. really.

ali

p sherman?? i did have a great day thanks! didn't do much (no work - yay) as it was too hot, but i did have a cold beverage or two to celebrate the occasion (beer has to be the drink of australia) & some vegemite on toast for breakfast - can't get any more oz than that!! any love for vegemite out there??

australia - 218 years old, goin on strong!!

fyo - where abouts are you going?

dragonboy

Have you not seen Finding Nemo?
P Sherman 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney is written on the divers mask that makes Dory & Marlin think that's where the fisherman taken Nemo so they swim to Sydney!
One of my fav. movies, along with Croc Dundee  ;)

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

Which is the best Ali?

ali

you're making me want a beer now!!

of the three - a crownie is best.
vb is piss (avoid at ALL costs)
fosters - australians (at least in australia anyway, they may drink it in the uk not sure) DO NOT DRINK FOSTERS

my personal preferences are boags premium, cascade premium or cascade pale ale (both local tasmanian beers)

dragonboy

Isn't that typical? I've never seen that one!
Fosters in pretty popular in the UK but only with people who don't know their beer  ;)

ali

i'm pretty sure boags won a couple of major international beer awards a few years ago, but i guess it still hasn't made it out there in the big bad world... niiiiice beer though.

i have a feeling you'd get laughed at if you asked for fosters at a pub here ;D its the ultimate bogan drink

dragonboy

What's a bogan drink  ???

ali

oh sorry. a bogan is a really really really uncool person - usually living in a bad suburb, driving a crap car, usually has a mullet hairdo... i'm trying to think of an equivalent - vicky pollard on little britain would be a bogan.

these are aussie bogans - they wear flannies, drive utes, drink vb...

dragonboy

Gotcha!
So most of the characters Paul Hogan played on the Paul Hogan Show were bogans!

ali

yep! paul hogan would have to be the ultimate bogan. i was trying to find out a better definition of bogan (couldn't think of an american equivalent) & found this cool site of australian slang... highly entertaining.  you'd have to be a berk not to have a gander at this one, she's bonza!!!!!

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~enigman/australia/slang.html#b

i particularly like "you got the rough end of the pineapple". not that i've ever heard anyone say it, but it's still good ;D

for_you_only

i am leaving in a few days to go study cairns, any words of wisdom?