3 chord songs

Started by olwiggum, Jun 21, 2006, 04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corey

I need you guys to name off some 3 chord songs, preferably ones that only use G, C, and D. I need several examples for a speech that I have to give in class tomorrow.

Thanks!

primushead

Well...

there's green day 'time of your life' (although I think there's one more chord in there)

-Just Because I do(mmj)
-Sooner(mmj)
-Bulldozers and Dirt (DBT)
-Burning Down the House (Talking Heads)  

That help?

aMD

There are too many, I'm not sure where to start.

Knockin on Heaven's Door by Bob Dylan
This Land is Your Land by Woody Guthrie
almost every other song by Woody.  He's got a great quote you could use for your report.  He once said "If you use more than three chords you're just showing off".  
I am Trying to Break Your Heart by Wilco. (Different key but only a half step down)
You are My Sunshine by Jimmie Davis
I am a Man of Constant Sorrow by Carter Stanley
Rivers of Babylon
Dead Flowers by Rolling Sotnes (one step up)
I Still Miss Someone by Johnny Cash (also a step up)

That's all I got off the top of my head, hope that helps.

primushead

Oops, I just realized that you prefered G C and D.  Lemme think some more.

Jaimoe

Can't You See - Marshall Tucker

Try messing around with blues chords and patterns too.

corey

There's some cool suggestions above. I need to stick to songs that common folk would know so that I can use them as examples. Keep 'em comin'. I have another hour or so before I start writing my speech.

EC

Almost every country song every written, except they're not always in G.  hmmm...

hmm, I keep thinking of one and then realizing that somebody throws in a sneaky relative minor or something.

Weren't The Ramones famous for this?  

Why is this so hard?  This is stupid.  

Jaimoe

So Sad About Us by The Who was basically C, D and then G. A great mod anthem.

marktwain

Stir It Up by Bob Marley

EC

how'd the speech go, corey?

corey

Well, I did a lot of work on it last night and my turn didn't even come around today. It worked out well though, because I have a bunch of other stuff to do today.  :)

I plan on using a couple of examples from the songs above. Thanks for all of the suggestions, y'all.

Jaimoe

Heavy Things - Phish