"Get to Know the Members" thread

Started by The_DARK, Feb 27, 2007, 07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

coors light does suck. it has to be the weakest watered down shit ever.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

.Walt

Quotecoors light does suck. it has to be the weakest watered down shit ever.

ok i'm not  going to buy a case of the bullets, but bud light is the beer i won't drink. i mean i will, but its just not my type of beer. i'll take coors light over bud light, but i know i'm in minority. especially when bud light is the number one selling beer. which i think thats why i don't drink it.
as far as watered down beer, Mich Golden Light is the most. i think its only sold in south and north dakato and minnesota.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

dragonboy

Trust me dude, Coors Lite tastes pretty good compared to Japanese diet beers  :-/
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Jaimoe

Trust me dude, Coors Lite tastes pretty good compared to Japanese diet beers  :-/

And red, being Canadian, hates the Coors Light which is brewed in Canada by Molson, which is stronger and better than the original US brand. He must have a powerful hate for the stuff. I find it not too bad on draft, but there are far better light choices out there.

The Big Come Up

QuoteHey

Get good grades, plan on going to school in the south, most likely CLEMSON UNIVERSITY....GO TIGERS!!!

I thought you were my friend... :'(

Its allright man, we can both like different teams but still love the jacket. I mostly like Clemson becuase im sick of columbia, where i live.

The DARK

QuoteHey

Get good grades, plan on going to school in the south, most likely CLEMSON UNIVERSITY....GO TIGERS!!!

I thought you were my friend... :'(

Its allright man, we can both like different teams but still love the jacket. I mostly like Clemson becuase im sick of columbia, where i live.
Alright. As long as you're not a Duke fan.
In another time, in another place, in another face

mjkoehler

ok i'm not  going to buy a case of the bullets, but bud light is the beer i won't drink. i mean i will, but its just not my type of beer. i'll take coors light over bud light, but i know i'm in minority. especially when bud light is the number one selling beer. which i think thats why i don't drink it.
as far as watered down beer, Mich Golden Light is the most. i think its only sold in south and north dakato and minnesota.

Hey don't feel bad. I live in Saint Louis and really cannot stand Bud or Bud Light. Not much of a beer drinker anymore, but usually grab a Sam Adams or Bass or Harp when I do.

colleen

so good to hear more about you kids. i was really hoping a thread like this would pop up sometime.

I am:
30ish
5'3" and fairly compact
an Aries
the unlikely offspring of a former night club singer and an ex Catholic priest
pretty far left of center
have one brother who lives in London
live in upstate NY but would like to move somewhere warmer
have seen MMJ 7 times, 5 of them being last year during a 1/3 life
crisis of sorts (I am better now, due in large part to those shows)

I believe that furry children are children too.
I live in a tape and label factory with 2 cats, Sam and Emma. I love them fiercely.
single but want to find a sweet ball & chain and bear or adopt human children eventually. I am shy at first in person and still a little afraid of the internet
This is the only band forum I visit and I have enjoyed it, but I've had to curtail my participation due to some recent computer/network woes.

have lived in new york state, rhode island, the pacific northwest and italy. have been lucky to visit lots of countries and sometimes stay awhile. I make prints and paintings and the occasional sculpture and have been teaching art to various ages for the past 10 years. In the past I've worked as a mental health counselor/art therapist, gallery/performance space founder/director. Have had many shitty part time jobs over the years too- the worst being pot scrubber in a hospital kitchen. I had really big hair in high school and watched headbangers ball regularly.
I have a fondness for old, heavy, cast iron hand-printing presses, and have set up my own printshop in my space.
Sing and play the piano but not in front of others.

I am frequently told I am too sensitive and idealistic. I try not to eat animals intentionally, but if they end up mixed into my food inadvertently, I sometimes pretend I didn't notice. But I wish we could produce meat that didn't have faces or feelings. I grow a good amount of my own food, am a dedicated composter/vermiculturalist (worms).

I prefer playing sports that involve kicking rather than swinging racquets.
Have a tendency to take in strays both living and inanimate- trying to stop that. I can't stand passive-aggressiveness. Prefer straight shooters. I like guys who are a teensy bit husky and not afraid of wearing pants that fit or dancing in them. Some of my favorite things to do include sharing good music with others, sitting a long time looking at great paintings and hearing other people tell stories.

I am an excellent driver which I attribute to mad amounts of Nintendo and Atari as a kid, but I've been in 7 car accidents where the car has been totalled (none my fault) so I might be running out of chances at surviving.
My only real fear is of suffocation both figuratively and literally.

I don't really watch TV, but I love Curb Your Enthusiasm. Among my favorite movies are: Harold and Maude, the Gleaners and I, most films by Lars von Trier, Todd Haynes...the list is longer than I feel like dealing with right now. I read a lot too, some fave books are Dry by Augusten Burroughs, Country of My Skull by Antjie Krog, Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee and On Creativity by David Bohm.

Won't get into music now because I am into lots of the same stuff as others on here, but right now I am liking the new Shins album, and recent stuff by David Pajo and Jack Rose.

Still dig the rituals and mythology of Catholicism, but I relate much more to Buddhism. I try to not separate spirituality from everything else I do. For me it's more about daily awareness than a routine. But sometimes it is hard to be consistent.

Now you know way too much.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

dragonboy

You have a lovely way with words Colleen, I really enjoyed reading your post  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

mjkoehler

Quotea'ight... to help...

-I'm Mike
-Live in Waterloo, IL about 30 miles southeast of St Louis.
-Originally from Omaha, NE
-High school mascot was the BUNNIES. oiy
-Proud to be a bleeding heart liberal
-Run 1/2 marathons for fun
-Big STL Cardinals fan
-Since from NE, BIG Husker fan
-Work for Nestle Purina which is 3 blocks from Busch Stadium, part of the big Cardinals fan thing
-Degree in Secondary Education/History. That's right, I'm the scary History teacher.
-Went to college on the 6 year plan. You know, where you drink obscene amounts of alcohol your first 2 years and 15 years later it's all a blur
-Married, 2 kids. If you've see some of the other threads, they're the Greatest Kids on Earth.
-1 cat
-No Tats, many scars (physical and mental)
-Coffee and chocolate snob. I [highlight]Hate [/highlight]milk chocolate and most mass produced coffee (Folgers, Maxwell House, Nescafe, etc.)
-No longer drink beer, usually good, strong wine or more then often VODKA.
-All time fav band still the Flaming Lips. MMJ, Beatles, Doors, NIN up there.
Collect board games.
-I'm a grown man with a college degree and a 401 k and I f'n LOVE Harry Potter!

Oh and I owe Bermuda several drinks from the recent Shins show.

A few things I left out...

-Do not really watch a lot of TV, HOWEVER it do greatly enjoy Lost, 24, MXC, Arrested Development, and I have an unhealthy obsession with Good Eats
-Green is fav color
-I'm trying to learn to play guitar but am sadly realizing I SUCK and have no chance of being remotly average. (small hands)
-I used to play the trombone so does that make me a tromboner?!?!? WTF?
-I love old brick homes and generaly hate new homes.
-I love woodworking and remodling. Kind of goes with the love for old homes. And if you have seen some of my other posts, you've seen some of the handy work. In the apparent "slow" time until new album buzz starts to hit (let it be this year let it be this year) I should start a seperate thread for post home and remodel pics.
-I've said not much of a beer drinker any longer however I think my all time favs are Boulevard Wheat and Rougenberry<--isn't made any longer  >:(
-Hate most radio, however I cannot get enough of Bob & Tom.
-dream job would be to own my own small remodeling and refinishing company.
-great supporter of stem cell and other research to hopefully help with MS, Parkinsons, Alzheimer, strokes. All have hit my family and none of it is anything I ever want to go through again and never want anyone to have to live through.
Glad to see there are many other cat lovers here. Ms Jinx, or as I call her The Black Beast of Arrrrrrrrhg, is the fluffiest, laziest cat I have ever seen and I wouldn't change a thing about her.

colleen

I'm with you on the coffee/chocolate snob thing, Mike. I used to drink bad coffee and would get so agitated I'd pick fights. In the NW I learned about the difference between robusta beans (bad) and arabica (good) and also realized that espresso was for me, as it functioned more like a laser beam vs. the shotgun blast that regular brew can be. I am into precise dosage. Beyond taste, I had no idea how horrible bad coffee/chocolate is for the environment, workers, etc. until a couple of years ago. I know some really great roasteries that ship the same day they roast if you are interested.

colleen

QuoteYou have a lovely way with words Colleen, I really enjoyed reading your post  :)

Hey thanks!  :) Where's your "get to know you" post?

dragonboy

QuoteWhere's your "get to know you" post?
There are close to 5000 of them scattered here there & everywhere  ;)

OK, here goes...
33 years old.
Born & lived in the UK until I was 23 & then moved to Japan.
Am happily married to a lovely Japanese girl & have my own English school so I guess I'm here for the long run.
I'm very close to my family. I have 2 sisters both still in the UK, Mum & Dad live in Spain.
Like a lot of people here music is very important to me.
I have 1500+ CDs, would have 2000+ if I'd never sold any.
U2 was the first band I obsessed over.
My racing bike was called Larry Mullen Jr & I had a long black coat that I wore everywhere.
I used to go to 2 or 3 live shows a month when I lived in the UK. I miss live music.
Wore flannel in my late teens (saw Pearl Jam's debut UK show in a tiny little club, Nirvana a couple of times, once before Nevermind, Soundgarden etc)
Kyuss ruled my soundscape for a few years.
Then I discovered Dance music & Hip-Hop & started going clubbing.
Fell in love with Country music a few years ago.
Have always been a HUGE Elvis fan. Went to Graceland a couple of years ago, want to go again.
Met Steve Earle in London.
The Jacket are my fav current band. Was lucky enough to see them last year when I was home for my sisters wedding.
Tried to learn to play the guitar once but was rubbish, keep meaning to try again.
Used to love painting, don't find the time any more.
Love movies nearly as much as music, & have a big DVD collection.
Amelie, Cinema Paradiso, Goodfellas, Dances With Wolves, The Big L etc are some of my fav movies.
Saw Fred Ward in a book shop in London once, still regret to this day not shaking his hand & telling him how good a movie Tremors was!
Love to travel, have been to Hawaii many times, Memphis & Nashville, Guam, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, France, Spain, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands.
There are still many countries I'd like to visit but it's difficult to do that & catch up with my family too.
Want to visit Machu Pichu, TK is my hero!
Pizza is hands down my fav food.
Love beer and Jack & Coke.
Love this forum & everyone on it but need to spend less time on the internet.

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

The DARK

QuoteU2 was the first band I obsessed over.
Same here
In another time, in another place, in another face

colleen

QuoteWhere's your "get to know you" post?
There are close to 5000 of them scattered here there & everywhere  ;)

Thanks for consolidating them into a fact sheet of sorts!  :) I have never known anyone who has been to Guam. Wow.

dragonboy

QuoteI have never known anyone who has been to Guam. Wow.
It's only 3 hours from Japan + in the same time zone.
It's a pauper's Hawaii  ;)

ratsprayer

-lived about half of my life in indiana, half in ohio.  in ohio for the long run, or at least until i finish college.
-just started college in january majoring in natural interpretation.
-married since january 2001 and have 2 kids, hyde age 5 and sydney age 4, another one on the way in august.
-won't ever buy another vehicle that's not a honda.
-went to canada once and travelled to 21 states so far.
-melungeon, bona fide nuts and very proud of it.
-prefer import beer, but i drink sam adams quite a lot.
-love nature, wildflowers, wildlife, solitude, natural beauty, photography, hiking, camping
-i enjoy a lot of vegetarian food, but i could NEVER give up meat.
-can play a few chords on the guitar, but still music is pretty much my world, besides nature and my family
-scorpio
-left handed
-i'm so angry, i don't think it will ever pass.
-100% pagan
-i think i'm finally rid of the h. pylori bacteria in my guts.
-can envision myself living in the woods or a cave some day.
-not the farthest left person you'll ever meet, but pretty damn close.
-think abortion should still be technically legal, but women should be painfully sterilised and given pain levels beyond human comprehension
-like i said before, i'm married, but in my mind i'm the biggest whore the world has ever known
-robyn hitchcock, dan bern, afghan whigs, twilight singers, elliott smith, neutral milk hotel, and loads of other stuff listed on my myspace.
-i think the beach boys are more influential than the beatles.
-i'm an only child, but i have 2 best friends and a cousin that i consider brothers.
-in all my cars combined, i've driven the equivalent distance from the earth to the moon.
-i'm fascinated by the paranormal and live in a world-wide hotspot for paranormal activity.
-my hair is curlier than yours, and i can grow a ridiculous fro.
-i love to cook, and i'm pretty damn good at it.
-you'd feel better if you call me a misanthrope.
-coleridge & wordsworth are my two favourite word-meisters.

mjkoehler

QuoteI'm with you on the coffee/chocolate snob thing, Mike. I used to drink bad coffee and would get so agitated I'd pick fights. In the NW I learned about the difference between robusta beans (bad) and arabica (good) and also realized that espresso was for me, as it functioned more like a laser beam vs. the shotgun blast that regular brew can be. I am into precise dosage. Beyond taste, I had no idea how horrible bad coffee/chocolate is for the environment, workers, etc. until a couple of years ago. I know some really great roasteries that ship the same day they roast if you are interested.

Thanks. I try to only buy Organic/Fair Trade/Shade Grown when possible. Currently I am hooked on Green Mountain. Also dip into the European Coffeehouse collections and the uberspecialty roasts from Gevalia. There are a couple decent envirosocial conscious roasters here in St Louis. I am always on the lookout for new sources. If they have Ethiopian Yergacheffe, they are aok in my book. They hate me at work as my office always smells of freshly ground coffee.

colleen

QuoteI have never known anyone who has been to Guam. Wow.
It's only 3 hours from Japan + in the same time zone.
It's a pauper's Hawaii  ;)

I did not know that. Must be so great to be close to so many great places in and around Asia. On a similar note, I have been to Tunisia which a lot of people think sounds exotic. But, I mostly went there because it was the closest (2 hr. flight) and cheapest place to have a deluxe vacation while I was living in Italy. I was nearly killed by the king pin of Tunis, but that's a story for another night.