"Get to Know the Members" thread

Started by The_DARK, Feb 27, 2007, 07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The DARK

Most newbies to the thread don't know anything about us regular posters and get left out of most conversations. Let's post important facts about ourselves so new members will feel more "at home".

I'm The DARK. I have very little personal life outside this thread. Schoolwork destroys it. My favorite MMJ songs right now are Dancefloors, Dondante and Steam Engine. I play chess (this belongs in the confessions thread) and I hate Clemson.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Ghosts_on_TV

I'm Dave. I have a shitty job that i work at just to pay the bills. I'm going to school to try and change that. I should have went 6 years ago, but whatever. I like to drink. Music means everything to me. I need a girlfriend. I've come to the conclusion that meeting girls at bars and fucking around with them just to wake up and regret it is not for me. I looked like this at age 14 (1996)...I still pretty much look like that, but my hair isn't that long. I'm thinking about growing it again.

My favorite color used to be green, but now I don't really have one because I think they all serve their purpose. I am drinking one of those aluminum bud light bottles right now. It's kinda pretty. I won a spelling bee once...and a poetry contest. The poem was called "The Bee". It went like this...

I went into a tree
so no one could see me
I saw a bee
and jumped out of the tree
because it stung me

...that was in 2nd grade. I have nothing at all whatsoever against gay people...other than I wish they didn't steal the rainbow as their symbol. I like rainbows. I'm not gay.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

The DARK

Ghosts_on_TV

The DARK

I created this thread for two reasons:

1. I don't get a lot of the inside jokes  ;)
2. face left because she felt "disconnected"...that's kinda how I feel now.  :'(

Ghosts_on_TV

The DARK

Check the "Current Complaints" thread.

mjkoehler

a'ight... to help...

-I'm Mike
-Live in Waterloo, IL about 30 miles southeast of St Louis.
-Originally from Omaha, NE
-High school mascot was the BUNNIES. oiy
-Proud to be a bleeding heart liberal
-Run 1/2 marathons for fun
-Big STL Cardinals fan
-Since from NE, BIG Husker fan
-Work for Nestle Purina which is 3 blocks from Busch Stadium, part of the big Cardinals fan thing
-Degree in Secondary Education/History. That's right, I'm the scary History teacher.
-Went to college on the 6 year plan. You know, where you drink obscene amounts of alcohol your first 2 years and 15 years later it's all a blur
-Married, 2 kids. If you've see some of the other threads, they're the Greatest Kids on Earth.
-1 cat
-No Tats, many scars (physical and mental)
-Coffee and chocolate snob. I [highlight]Hate [/highlight]milk chocolate and most mass produced coffee (Folgers, Maxwell House, Nescafe, etc.)
-No longer drink beer, usually good, strong wine or more then often VODKA.
-All time fav band still the Flaming Lips. MMJ, Beatles, Doors, NIN up there.
Collect board games.
-I'm a grown man with a college degree and a 401 k and I f'n LOVE Harry Potter!

Oh and I owe Bermuda several drinks from the recent Shins show.

BH

Oh and I owe Bermuda several drinks from the recent Shins show.

Fahgehtaboudit! ;)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

vespachick

It's unfortunate that that face left, I liked her posts, so in homage to her:

• I'm 38 years old
• I own the world's cutest dog who recently killed a squirrel that fell out of a tree while taunting him
• Until 3 months ago I lived my entire life in Los Angeles and then kind of randomly moved to a city that I'd previously only been in for a total of 4 hours
• Except for my new coworkers I don't know a sole in this 'town (except for Liz who made me a Banana's t-shirt, but I don't think that counts very much)
• I spend a lot of time walking the dog around town, looking in windows, and thinking up things to say the homeless girl who, using a horrendous English accent, asks me for change every night and when I don't give her any she curses at me in her regular guttural voice
• I'm afraid of Mt. Hood (every week it seems somebody else bites it up there – what's up with you crazy climbers?)
• I love red wine (currently drinking a nice, cheap 100% Grenache) and though there are more breweries around here than you could shake a stick at, I think I may have lost the taste I once had for beer
• I rue the day I didn't pay more attention at my first MMJ show
• I had a dream the other night that I found the perfect prom dress to wear to an Under The Sea dance which, sadly, I won't be going tp. (Short side bar: the prom in the movie Back To The Future was also titled Under The Sea and was filmed at my high school while I was going there.  It was days before I realized the posters around campus were in fact for the movie and not for me to attend  :'()
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

ycartrob

Nashville
seen the Jacket 12x
Strangulation
married
Sparky and Daisy
work at homeless shelter
New Orleans Saints
ex-Coast Guard
lived in New Orleans, Mississippi, Maine, Gloucester.Mass
own 21 Rush CD's
don't like mainstream rap
Peacemaking Circles
Brian Eno
All sports (college basketball #1)
Pinball
Snow
Pete Townsend
Bar-B-Q
Springsteen
Taxi Driver
George
South Dakota
sarcasm
realism
idealism

Peace

ali

28 (nearly 29) going on about 16 somedays
slightly above average height
melbourne australia
architect
(temporarily) have 2 slightly odd cats and a stationwagon
single (dammit)
i love being australian, and living in australia but sometimes we really aren't the lucky, clever country we keep telling ourselves we are
currently a big fan of black nailpolish
music
movies (except shit ones by nicolas cage)
beer is good (hey, i'm from australia, of course i love beer)
learning german
chocolate is also good
rugby, cricket, and rock climbing
good at buying cds, bad at saving money

love a song for the way it makes you feel

ali

mean to add (but forgot)

am easily distracted (obviously)
would like to get a tattoo (when i decide where & what)
4 piercings (nowhere that interesting)
love a song for the way it makes you feel

SMc55

QuoteI created this thread for two reasons:

1. I don't get a lot of the inside jokes  ;)
2. face left because she felt "disconnected"...that's kinda how I feel now.  :'(

Oh oh oh! Sad you and face feel disconnected. I'm a long time member and feel that sometimes. It comes and goes. Face will be back I hope. Sometimes people don't post for ages (O, Magnix, Tundra, Drunkre for example), but they pop up now and then and it's great to see them when they do).

I teach science, have seen the band four times and met Patrick and Bo last summer. My partner is wordawg and we live in England. We have five kids. I like Lost, 24, Prison Break and The Office.

As johnconaway used to say (if I remember rightly) feel the love  :)

aMD

The Dark, the reason you don't get most of the inside jokes is because you haven't been around long enough yet, desite your post count.  If you stick around you'll probably be in on a few.  You have a hand, right?

As far as me:
I am 25
I am a teacher
I am a Little League coach
I love music (the good kind)
I play several instruments but my favorite is guitar
I run the mmj tabs site and am seriously considering running a m ward site as well
I have no kids (other than the 24 I am responsible for at school)
I enjoy good beer
I vacation in Hilton Head although this summer I'm going up to NYC and Boston to see some homies
I also once deleted my account and left the forum but I'm back now
I believe Jesus is my personal lord and savior (not the 2000 year old dead jew, the bowling pederass from the Big Lebowski)

Mr. T.

I don't know if I'm what you'd call a regular poster, but this is who I am

Belgium, Antwerp
MMJ had their break-through in the Low Countries
Seen the Jacket trice (once without vocals)
I love to run
I wish the Jacket would come to Europe more often
Have taken the habit of complaining about that
I own 250 neil young boots
going steady for 8 years
will mary one day
funnygames.nl
Eristoff Wodka
or Duvel
I'm an amateur ornithologist
is that a word?
good at buying cd's, bat at saving money (hello Ali)
wants to play B'ball more often
Chills is my brother
I went to rought times
You can't be 20 on sugar mountain
Irony
History
Humor
Golden
We are young despite the years,
we are concern,
we are hope despite the times

peanut butter puddin surprise

great thread!  too bad about face, i always dug her posts...come back girl!

38 going on 100
married with a two year old daughter
lived in kentucky since 89
first concert ever was dio/twisted sister
last concert was me falling asleep on my feet and i went home before it started
i have two cats
my car is about to become the blues bros. car at the end of the movie
i went to college for political science and wound up in technology
my other favorite band is thin lizzy
i have seen rush 5 times
i have seen the jacket inumerous times
the outdoors are my favorite place
i have flat feet, but i was in the army for almost ten years
all of my relatives live in pa
my favorite baseball team is the chicago white sox
my favorite football team is the pittsburgh steelers
i like 60's and 70's cars of all kinds
i once drank so much bourbon with cc baxter that it appeared to me that i would never ever be sober again
i have an eternal crush on scarlett johansen and famke janssen
my favorite food is lasagna and pancakes
my favorite drink is BOURBON followed closely by coffee
some people say i look like ernie fletcher, governor of kentucky
i despise the current state of the world and strive to do anything to make it better
my work occupies almost all of my time but every other waking moment is dedicated soley to my daughter and her happiness

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Taterbug

* 39 for one more day
* I live 30 minutes west of Chicago
* Married 20 years to the most beautiful women in the world. We have a  wonderful 10 year old daughter
* I'm a Sales manager at a steel company for 18 years.
  my wife works out of the house designing and selling playground equipment to
  school districts and municipalities.
  I was a firefighter emt for 4 years.
* Seen the jacket 9 times
* First concert- Deep Purple  at alpine valley, wi. ( I saw a women in the parking lot squat and pee right in front of me ) I grew up alot that day..
* teams I follow  bears , sox, bulls , Illini, wolves, fighting irish.
* I coach my daughters softball team
* I have a large football card collection, which I have not added to in years.
* my wheels are a 2003 chevy avalanche 4 x 4 ,silver with a kickin stereo.
* I got  my 1st motorcylce last year. 750 honda shadow spirit 2003. I cant't wait  till  spring so I can ride with my brother( he drives a redneck chopper thats tits )
* I love fishing in the summer & winter
* I look forward to my family reunion in Pikeville, ky every year.
* I play golf, but i'm a hack.
* I'm still close with all my buddies from high school.
* I own the record for the first one out in texas hold'em  12 minutes.( I got no poker face)
* some day I hope to open a coffee shop & record store, also feature live musical
  performances.
*  going on winter hikes with my little girl. or going up to baraboo wisc. to devils lake  and go hiking and camping.
* I'm not a very religious person. I grew up babtist.
*  Strangulation, phone went west, obh, bermuda highway, at dawn,war begun, sunrides. And anything else in there catalog.
* favorite movie   Blackhawk down
* bands I like   MMJ is # 1 ,   pearl jam,  sabbath,   wolfmother, allman bros.. thats my current flavor, there are many many others.
* meeting new people at the jacket shows and on this forum who are all very cool.
* I enjoy the musical genius of Nickelback & Creed. ;)
* favorite solo artist  Clay Aiken  ;)
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

megisnotreal

In 66 days, my palindrome year will be over. I will not have another one until I am 33, but I guess I'm cool with that.

I was born and raised in and around Birmingham, Alabama. And it pisses me off when people assume all southerners are ignorant and inbred.

I am a program director for two radio stations. I received a call the other day from a group of ladies at a local nursing home who listen to the AM station every day and have formed a Meg fan club.

I love seventies pop.

I think section six from Walt Whitman's "Song of Myself" is the greatest poem ever written.

I hate shoes.

I have been published twice. I call myself a writer, but I throw away about 97.6% if what I actually write because I am too afraid to let anyone else read it.

I always want what I can't have.

My southern accent gets worse when I drink.

I firmly believe random Mr. Show or Big Lebowski qoutes have a place in daily life.

I like to make people happy.

I feel sorry for inanimate objects from time to time--like all the stuffed animals no one buys after the holidays, etc.

I have three nephews and four nieces.

My favorite foods: broccoli, crunchy shrimp rolls, gouda cheese, bbq, spinach lasagna, miso soup, or anything my grandmothers cook.

I am very gullible, but I see this as a positive thing. I mean, I'm not so jaded that I doubt everyone (yet).

I have yet to find anyone who "gets" me.

I also think bees suck. And wasps, too. Fuck a wasp.

Drinks of choice: Makers, white russians, plum wine, celebrator

I like to dance.

I am a girl.

Yeah.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Quotelast concert was me falling asleep on my feet and i went home before it started
;D

i love that. i think that's me at every concert except ones including jacket or sharon jones.

i am 22 and share a house in south Austin with whothrewthecake.
we welcome you to our home and would be glad to throw a lawn party for all of you. stipulation: we control the record player. your face is going to be saturated by otis, aretha, billy preston organ, and shitty 70's r&b* as we see fit. This is a promise.
we have also been known to have dance parties to Physical Graffiti particularly the song Trampled Underfoot, and yes it is incredibly possible.

*See: Lenny Willams
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."