the cities we live in

Started by ali, May 24, 2007, 08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CC

SMc55

Come to Wilkes-Barre![/quote]

I will! It's exacty what I want to see. I'm not interested in the tourist trail. I want to experience real America (not sure if that makes sense because it's all real I guess).

I want a road trip in an American car and to eat in roadside diners.

mjkoehler

Come to Wilkes-Barre!

I will! It's exacty what I want to see. I'm not interested in the tourist trail. I want to experience real America (not sure if that makes sense because it's all real I guess).

I want a road trip in an American car and to eat in roadside diners.[/quote]

I completly understand what you mean. Stay aways for the typical, popular tourist traps. Hit the road ala Jack Kerouac..

Then you have to come to the St Louis area as we have 2 classics: Eat Rite and Ted Drewes.  The only good thing about living in a small town, is we have all kinds of drinking fests.

Ghosts_on_TV

I want to buy this house...

Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

SMc55

I completly understand what you mean. Stay aways for the typical, popular tourist traps. Hit the road ala Jack Kerouac..

Then you have to come to the St Louis area as we have 2 classics: Eat Rite and Ted Drewes.  The only good thing about living in a small town, is we have all kinds of drinking fests.
Im in!!!  :D

ycartrob

QuoteIs that a bear Tracy? Excuse my ignorance but what's it's significance?
Reason I ask is there's one very similar on the Loudon Wainwright CD I just bought:

Here you go Andrew

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=9&screen=news&news_id=31472

Bangs Brownwood

A few more reasons to come hang out in Austin, TX. Everyone IS coming to ACL this year, right!?!?

WOMAN!
Whoa Man!
Whhooooaaaaa MAN!!

bethofftherecord

damn.  i gotta go to austin one of these days!  
nothing can be changed except ourselves

dragonboy

QuoteIs that a bear Tracy? Excuse my ignorance but what's it's significance?
Reason I ask is there's one very similar on the Loudon Wainwright CD I just bought:

Here you go Andrew

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=9&screen=news&news_id=31472
Thanks very much for the info Tracy  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

.Walt

Quotedamn.  i gotta go to austin one of these days!  

i went to austin once. we were driving to our hotel, and here were some kids beating the shit out of each other, and taping it for backyard wrestling. then i step one foot out of the car, and some meth head chick came up to me asking for money to go to the hospital. she had fake blood on her face, obviously faking it. other than, it was a pretty nice place i thought. but that's the only thing i remember about austin.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Jenny

ycartrob

Quoteboston is fantastic

Rami Salami

vespachick

Here's a peak at Portland, Oregon:

This is a city where, according to the 2000 U.S. Census, some 5,000 residents commute to work each day by bicycle; where city planners ripped out a freeway and replaced it with a park; where parking meters are solar powered; and where the meticulous synchronization of traffic signals results in an annual savings of 1.1 million gallons of gasoline. Currently, Portland also boasts the most LEED-certified buildings per capita in the nation.

The Schnitz - where I saw John Prine recently.

Ringed by natural beauty — Mount Hood, the Oregon Coast, the Columbia River Gorge, and the Oregon wine country — Portland is obsessed with keeping that beauty unspoiled. Portlanders recycle 54 percent of their waste, a percentage that exceeds that of any other U.S. city. And they and their fellow Oregonians introduced the nation's first bottle bill in 1971 to encourage recycling.

Portland's "green appeal" also extends to the monetary variety. Since Oregon has no sales tax, the city's hotels and convention space carry ultra-competitive prices.
Portland's scenic Gov. Tom McCall Waterfront Park was once a four-lane highway. Civic leaders removed the freeway in the 1970s, reconnecting downtown with the Willamette River.

Portland is home to the nation's largest urban wilderness — the 5,000-acre Forest Park.

The Portland metro area boasts 37,000 acres of parkland.
Portland has 278 public parks and 150 miles of trails.
More than 5,000 Portlanders commute to work by bicycle. (2000 U.S. Census)
Portland boasts 226 miles of bike lanes.
Portland's Airport MAX light rail is the only train-to-plane option on the West Coast.
The Portland Streetcar is the only modern streetcar system in the nation.
Portland's traffic signals are synchronized at 225 intersections, resulting in an estimated annual savings of 1.1 million gallons of gasoline. (www.epa.gov)
Portland's "smart" parking meters are solar-powered, accept credit cards and stand one per block. A sticker is issued for each vehicle and is transferable to other spaces.
Portland is the birthplace of car-sharing in the United States. Today, Portland's Flexcar members enjoy access to a fleet of vehicles located throughout the metro area. Each Flexcar replaces an estimated six cars on the road.

Powell's, the biggest new & used book store in the nation!!

The Willamette Week, Portland's alternative weekly newspaper, refers to Portland reverently as "Beervana." The Oregon Brewers Guild calls this city "Munich on the Willamette." Of the over fifty breweries and brewpubs in Oregon, more than one-third are located in the Portland Metro area.

mmmm, beer.
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

dragonboy

[img]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o291/okonokos/Schnitz.jpg/img]
These pics are stunning!
Portland just became one of my 'places i want to visit in the US' due to this post  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

colleen

Portland is my favorite US city. I've always wanted to live there. Closest I got was Olympia, Washington where I lived for 5 years. Thanks for posting those pics. They warmed my heart but also made me resent where I currently reside (albany, NY) a little more. Oh well. DB- you should totally go to Portland. So much beauty and so much good beer indeed.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

dragonboy

QuoteSo much beauty and so much good beer indeed.
Sounds good to me!

I had to check where in the US Oregon is. I was hoping it might me near Memphis so I could tie it in with my next trip to Graceland but no such luck  ;)

I was just looking at some of the cycling trails here:
http://www.traveloregon.com/Experiences/Outdoor-Recreation/Bike-Oregon/Search.aspx

You've got me all excited Vespachick!

bethofftherecord

[img]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o291/okonokos/Schnitz.jpg/img]
These pics are stunning!
Portland just became one of my 'places i want to visit in the US' due to this post  :)
Agreed! I need to visit Portland.  I am hoping to travel to Austin, LA, Portland, Seattle, and San Fran next spring to see friends! I love this thread, although it is getting me impatient for my future travels!!!!
nothing can be changed except ourselves

vespachick

My couch remains available for any of you to crash on should you find yourselves here!!  :)
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

dragonboy

The whole time since you made your first post Vespachick i was thinking I know a song Portland, Oregan. Only just figured it out...of course, It was Loretta Lynn's excellent duet with Jack White:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SHAX4z4sLg

dragonboy

Hey Vespachick, I just sent you a PM with some questions.
No need to worry, I'm not inviting myself to stay just yet  ;)