2008 Election

Started by Jenny, Jan 09, 2008, 11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenny

Could this get too touchy?
This might be the first year that I actually care...
Mm, I'm giving it a shot.

If I had a vote, I'd go for Kucinich, even though he's not done very well in the Primaries so far.  Obama's looking pretty good, too... I guess I'll have to wait for 2012, though...

BH

I like Ron Paul, but it doesn't look like he's doing real well at this point.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

mjkoehler

Can't get any touchier then the NCCA Football one....

I have asked the local Dem office to please place the largest Obama sign possible in my yard. I'm encouraged by the large turnouts in IA and NH.

red

Colbert still running?   ::) ;D

Jenny

I don't understand why Kucinich isn't doing better.

I just found out that apparently, if Romney doesn't win the Michigan primaries, he's gonna have to drop out. he's already spent about $55 million dollars, most from his own pockets, getting himself out there in places like IA and NH, yet he obviously hasn't had the turn out he's expected. I'd personally be okay with that... very okay with that.  He'd be one of the people that I would be flat out objected to having in office... same with Huckabee. Yet, I feel fairly confident that if Huckabee wins the Republican candidacy, the democratic party will come up on top.

And i'm pretty fed up with Hillary... she seems to be being awfully immature and petty towards her competition... crying, personal attacks, blah blah blah. (just talking sound bytes here, but she compared herself to Lyndon Johnson and Obama to Martin Luther King. I don't know if I'm okay with that...)  but Edwards and Obama got eachother's back.  yet she's also the only candidate that's mentioned anything about family and children - which is attracting the younger women.

Mm whatever. I guess there's very little I can do.

Bam_Bam

I wouldn't mind seeing an Obama/Edwards ticket for the Dems. I don't think any combination of candidates from the GOP could come close to beating that. The black vote, the under 30's vote, the middle class would be a strong battle but that's what Edwards is all about. Plus they seem to be the smartest and most reasonable candidates out there. I don't really like Hillary Clinton, she just seems to be more of the same partisanship that we've had for the past 12 or so years. Plus I think the GOP would have a better shot at beating her.

I like Ron Paul alright but he's a bit extreme in some areas. And I like Huckabee too as he's the only candidate that has brought up the fact that music is getting cut from public schools. It will be interesting to see who the Republicans end up picking. I think it'll be McCain/Huckabee. Anybody but Romney and Guliani is really ok with me. Those to are f*cking nuts.
[url="//www.myspace.com/wearemurals"]www.myspace.com/wearemurals[/url]

mjkoehler

QuoteI wouldn't mind seeing an Obama/Edwards ticket for the Dems. I don't think any combination of candidates from the GOP could come close to beating that. The black vote, the under 30's vote, the middle class would be a strong battle but that's what Edwards is all about. Plus they seem to be the smartest and most reasonable candidates out there. I don't really like Hillary Clinton, she just seems to be more of the same partisanship that we've had for the past 12 or so years. Plus I think the GOP would have a better shot at beating her.

Spot on mate. I just do not believe a word that comes out of her mouth. She's way too polarizing.

The DARK

More than anyone, I want to see Obama in office. I have a feeling that he might be the only one that can get us out of the mess we're in right now. I wouldn't mind Edwards, Paul, or McCain, either. Hilary would screw up everything in her first month spending money we don't have like a teen girl at a shopping mall and also botching up the Iraq exit. Hopefully cooler heads prevail and she gets taken out by Obama or Edwards. And Guliani's campaign is beyond a joke. I laugh at the 5% of votes he got in Iowa.
In another time, in another place, in another face

bowl of soup

Ron Paul won't win, but he is changing the way that people run for president.  He's shocked people with his ability to raise lots of money through technology and a real grass-roots campaign.  It's funny the way the media covers (or refuses to cover) him.  He was basically even with Rudy for a good part of the night in NH, but CNN didn't even put his name on the graph.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

sweatboard

can someone post some good Ron Paul links?

Thanks.
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

I'm onto the Wikipedia....

"Paul charged his fellow legislators with voting for the Patriot Act without reading it first; more than 300 pages long, it was enacted into law less than 24 hours after being introduced."  :)

I think I'm leaning towards this guy.

"He advocates a non-interventionist foreign policy, having voted against actions such as the Iraq War Resolution, but in favor of force against terrorists in Afghanistan. He is against partisan politics and favors withdrawal from NATO and the United Nations, instead supporting the idea of strong national sovereignty citing the dangers of "foreign entanglements" as expressed in the wishes of George Washington's Farewell Address"

Ron Paul won't win - Obama/Edwards looks like the best bet for some kind of move in the right direction.

I still feel like I'll vote for Ron Paul.

sweatboard

I don't know about "withdrawal" from the UN but if we are going to be part of it we could at least show some respect.

Ron Paul really seems like a guy that has built himself from the ground up.  If he can make some real noise this year mabey he can have some kind of chance 4yrs. from now.

BH

Agreed!  I hope people who like him will vote for him and not worry about the fact "that he's not going to win".   Stick with who you like, I say, and make a statement!  Don't let the polls and early results sway your vote.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

sweatboard

Libertarianism is a political philosophy or a family of related political philosophies based on support for individual liberty. Libertarians believe that allowing individuals to own, and be responsible for, their own property and their own bodies is a necessary aspect of liberty. Libertarians believe in limiting the power and ability of government to restrict liberty. While libertarian philosophy has deep roots in the historical philosophy and values of the United States of America, in modern times, freedom and recognition of rights of self-determination have become central issues throughout the world.

sweatboard

QuoteAgreed!  I hope people who like him will vote for him and not worry about the fact "that he's not going to win".   Stick with who you like, I say, and make a statement!  Don't let the polls and early results sway your vote.

There is a line there somewhere.....but yeah, I agree.

Angry Ewok

I'm voting Republican...
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

BH

QuoteI'm voting Republican...

Which one?

Angry Ewok

I don't know, but I would probably put them in this order...

Top 3
Romney
Thompson
McCain

Bottom 3
Huckabee
Paul
Giuliani

...but that is subject to change every time I hear one of them speak.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

The DARK

http://www6.comcast.net/news/articles/general/2008/01/18/Democrats.Reagan/

What the %#$@ is this? Shouldn't we be glad that someone respects the other side? These people seem to think that the president is just the spokesperson for that political party. Following your party mindlessly is the last think we need in a president. These democrats seem to have forgotten that Reagan helped end the Cold War. Surely we should be thankful for that?

Obama for president.
In another time, in another place, in another face

dragonboy

Have been watching a lot of coverage on BBC World & CNN and I've yet to hear a single candidate mention the environment, which is both unfortunate & scary.
Are any of the candidates big on environmental issues, climate change & global warming?
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.