Main Menu

the 90s

Started by EC, Feb 23, 2008, 09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

ok.  so i'm going to a 90s party tonight.  yeah.
and i'm wearing a scrunchie, and combat boots, and a black skirt and a big, HUGE black sweater.  and really bad earrings, and crazy cleopatra liquid eyeliner and really red lipstick.  because that's how i looked in highschool.  and we all took out our highschool pics to verify that we do, indeed, look like we're from the 90s.  and we do.

and my question is this:  who looked good in the 90s?  i mean really.  what a bad era of fashion.

ps this is 90s like early 90s.  think pearl jam 10 and for unlawful carnal knowledge.

kyjed48

I don't know if anyone looked good in the 90s.  But, we sure thought we did!  ;)
[url="//myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin"]myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin[/url]

thatswhatshesaid

take sienfeld for example. the movie singles is also a great indicator on how bad the 90's style really was. i recall wearing flannels and ripped jeans. what a precious time it was.

mjkoehler

Yeah I remember wearing lots of cheap thrift store flannel and torn up jeans circa about 92-94.

CC

i didn't look good in the 90s. looked groovy in the 80s though, and just flat out amazing in the 70s.

Kimbos_Evil_Bread

there's the grunge look which I was in but there was also the really odd brightly colored and baggy side of fashion in the early 90's- Roxette, Living Colour, MC Hammer.  Big pocketed yellow shirts with purple pants that tappered down to black sneakers stuff with lots of spikey gel.  Kind of like a flying squirrel with a walkman.

[url="http://eastuntiltomorrow.blogspot.com/"]http://eastuntiltomorrow.blogspot.com/[/url]

[url="http://www.myspace.com/alanrobert"]http://www.myspace.com/alanrobert[/url]

MarkW

I could tell you how I looked in the early '90s.

But then I'd have to kill you.  ;)

Think baggy / Stone Roses / Happy Mondays/ Es / Whiz / More Es.

Nice

:-)
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

mjkoehler

QuoteI could tell you how I looked in the early '90s.

But then I'd have to kill you.  ;)

Think baggy / Stone Roses / Happy Mondays/ Es / Whiz / More Es.

Nice

:-)
That is so much better then torn up crappy jeans, smelly flannel (possible covered in patcholi to hide body funk, ass, and possible the distinct odor of the ickiest of the sticky), a herione stupor for some, and serious bruising from moshing and bad landing on a stage dives.  :o

bowl of soup

I always wonder why the 90's don't get more love.  It's my favorite musical decade, but I could be wrong.  Fashion?  Who cares?  You always look funny in retrospect.  My Lenin-esque, 10 inch goatee ruled!  Flannel is warm and comfy.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

thatswhatshesaid

i still have some of my 90's flannels, although my wife has since taken them over, they are still almost kind of stylish. i think as a whole, more good music/bands came out of the 90's as well.

ManNamedTruth

QuoteI always wonder why the 90's don't get more love.  It's my favorite musical decade, but I could be wrong.  Fashion?  Who cares?  You always look funny in retrospect.  My Lenin-esque, 10 inch goatee ruled!  Flannel is warm and comfy.

popular "alternative" rock radio was so much better in the 90's than it is now.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Jaimoe

I love the 90's, but old fashion trends a decade or so ago look funny no matter if you are in the 80's looking back to the 70's or live in the 60's looking back to the "square" 50's.

I wasn't in highschool in the 90's (I was in my 3rd year of university). Fashion trends are a mash-up in university - some kids liked to dress like hippies, bums, grunge, mod, goth, casually nice etc...

No acid-wash jeans though since they were a brief trend in the late 80's, although we still can see ripped and acid wash jeans worn by "hipsters" at some county fairs even today... and yes, i'ts horrifying.

I must say, in the late 80's and early 90's I was dressed pretty preppy (and I feel shame). It took a couple of years after "Smells Like Teen Spirit" to fully embrace Nirvana, although I liked Pearl Jam even before they performed their memorable gig on SNL doing "Alive".  

Ghosts_on_TV

I had that awful long hair/shaved underneath 'do and wore flannel shirts over striped t-shirts.  ;D
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

.Walt

ghosts, i always wanted that haircut, who didn't have that, but me. my curly hair made it impossible...like being the fat kid with curly hair wasn't cool enough.

i was into snoop dogg and not giving a fuck! you can't say 90's, without gangsta rap'
bow wow!
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

aMD

I must admit that I sported the "I haven't washed my hair in months" look a la kurt cobain in nirvana unplugged.  why was that cool?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEtDC6MuImU

Dorothy_Mantooth

i just really missed the memo on the fact that we've already moved away from '80's parties to the now popular '90's parties.

my mom has a theory that the fashion of the '90's started our current issues with health.  she thinks that since baggy clothing was trendy, we didn't realize we were gaining weight. interesting theory, but the '90's had it's fair share of slut wear.
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

easy jim

i'm in college and you'd be surprised how many kids are sporting a heavy, heavy 80's look.  it's preeeety bad sometimes...well, i guess they look like they're coming from a nostalgic party but they aren't. ;)

whatever's hip, right?
So soon after payday, know it seemed a shame!