Obama wins Louisville (Jefferson County)!

Started by vacuuMan, May 20, 2008, 09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

...vacuuman...

Sure, sure, he got his butt kicked overall in KY, but he won Jefferson County 53% to 45% over Clinton.   8-)

Too bad Obama didn't campaign more in KY, otherwise maybe the boys would have played a rally for him there like Arcade Fire and the Decemberists have in other states.  Not that I live in KY, but still...

Obama '08!
$240 worth of puddin'

The DARK

He's still got more than enough to win (thanks, Louisville!). I don't know why Hillary is still spending money when she's almost statistically out. Does she really think the party will unite behind her at this point? It's the media that's still giving her any attention at all.
In another time, in another place, in another face

...vacuuman...

well, she's got those personal loans to pay off, so as long as she can keep raising $ and keep her campaign going on the cheap, there's no reason not to.  plus, if she wants VP, she's gotta convince Obama, the media, and the party that she's indispensible.  not that i'm buying it, mind you.

the world of rock is pretty clearly with Obama, though.  side note, maybe it's my own obsession, but when i listen to "Look at You" i sometimes imagine he's singing about BO.  'twould be a tad cheesy, but i dunno.
$240 worth of puddin'

primushead

What states are left?  It feels like the primaries have been going on for two fucking years now.  Just give the ticket to Obama and let me vote for him already.

ycartrob

We won't get fooled again, right? right... (notice in the video how gas prices have doubled in 8 years).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JSBhI_0at0

MarkW

I'm a Brit, so don't really have a say in this, but: I didn't much like the interviews on BBC I heard about the reasons why more people hadn't voted for Obama.  Seems like racism runs pretty deep in the South; beating sexism by a short head... :(

EDIT: I mean, present company excepted of course.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

ycartrob

QuoteI'm a Brit, so don't really have a say in this, but: I didn't much like the interviews on BBC I heard about the reasons why more people hadn't voted for Obama.  Seems like racism runs pretty deep in the South; beating sexism by a short head... :(

EDIT: I mean, present company excepted of course.

Obama won the popular vote in Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina , North Carolina, and Virginia, all states with over 65% white population. With your logic, if racism is beating sexism, then Hillary should have won all those states. I'd say racism may not run as deep as you heard on the BBC.

bowl of soup

I'll tread lightly.  I'm always amused by Europeans' high-minded ideas about race and the United States.  We all know that Europe has a grand history of tolerence and understanding when it comes to people who might be a tad different.  Centuries of bliss as a matter of fact.

No nation in the history of the world has managed to mix so many people from so many places as well as the good ole US.  It still ain't near perfect and there are large pockets of hate, but we try harder than most.

That being said race is a massive factor in this election.  The states you cite Tracy are all states that have among the highest populations of African Americans and they are voting in overwhelming numbers for Obama.  Mississippi is 37% African American - the highest percentage in the US.  Over 90% of these people voted for Obama - that is massive.

He does not connect with poor whites; hence West Virginia and Kentucky.  It's not racism vs. sexism however - his message just does not connect with working-class and poor whites.  He'd better work on that.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

ycartrob

we'll see in the general election. The democratic party generally carries over 90% of the black vote anyways, so of course the turn out of black vote is higher during the democratic primary, plus the fact Obama is black. It will be interesting to see if poor whites stick with the dems and Obama or run to McCain. I am hoping Hillary doesn't take her football and go home when she loses to Obama.

I get tired of comments like "Seems like racism runs pretty deep in the South; beating sexism by a short head...", especially from people who have never been to the south. The change that has happened over the past 30 years is monumental, and it's still happening today. As America becomes more of an equal playing field racially and by gender, the division of classes (rich v poor) will be the next trend to rear its ugly head. Katrina wasn't as much about race as it was class, IMO. The rich black folks in new Orleans sure got the hell out of Dodge...

Jon T.

I get tired of comments like "Seems like racism runs pretty deep in the South; beating sexism by a short head...", especially from people who have never been to the south. The change that has happened over the past 30 years is monumental, and it's still happening today. As America becomes more of an equal playing field racially and by gender, the division of classes (rich v poor) will be the next trend to rear its ugly head. Katrina wasn't as much about race as it was class, IMO. The rich black folks in new Orleans sure got the hell out of Dodge...

"Such is the duality of the 'Southern Thang' "

mjkoehler

QuoteThe change that has happened over the past 30 years is monumental, and it's still happening today. As America becomes more of an equal playing field racially and by gender, the division of classes (rich v poor) will be the next trend to rear its ugly head. Katrina wasn't as much about race as it was class, IMO. The rich black folks in new Orleans sure got the hell out of Dodge...

I would almost venture to say, there is just as much racism in non "southern" states. This isn't just a southern thang. Hell I do not live in the south and damn near everyone in the department I work in (excluding me and the 1 African American) refused to vote for Obama because of race. Very very sad. I hear shit like "I'm not gonna ever take the Metro because of THOSE people." What the fuck man?!?! What happened to love they fellow man.

To me, this isn't (and shouldn't be) about race or sex but about trust, issues, believabilty. The good folks of Louisville voted the correct way.

LizKing531

QuoteThe change that has happened over the past 30 years is monumental, and it's still happening today. As America becomes more of an equal playing field racially and by gender, the division of classes (rich v poor) will be the next trend to rear its ugly head. Katrina wasn't as much about race as it was class, IMO. The rich black folks in new Orleans sure got the hell out of Dodge...

I would almost venture to say, there is just as much racism in non "southern" states. This isn't just a southern thang. Hell I do not live in the south and damn near everyone in the department I work in (excluding me and the 1 African American) refused to vote for Obama because of race. Very very sad. I hear shit like "I'm not gonna ever take the Metro because of THOSE people." What the fuck man?!?! What happened to love they fellow man.

To me, this isn't (and shouldn't be) about race or sex but about trust, issues, believabilty. The good folks of Louisville voted the correct way.

It's a "southern thing" because it makes the northerners sleep better at night to think of it that way

but in all seriousnes - name 1 country that is absent of ANY racism - it's not just an American idea

mjkoehler

but in all seriousnes - name 1 country that is absent of ANY racism - it's not just an American idea
sad but true.

thatswhatshesaid

i'm pretty sick of hearing "racism" and "sexism" in this race. you have women who are voting for hillary saying that the only reason why she is behind is because she is a woman. others say that the only reason why hillary voters vote for her is because he is black (with the exception of some of the appalachian states, where some people basically admitted it). i think instead of people making excuses, why not understand that we get to vote in this so called democracy and who gets the majority of votes wins (and by votes, i mean superdelegates). i support obama in this campaign. not because hillary is a woman, it has nothing to do with race, considering i am a white male. i just think obama gives us a better shot at straightening things out for this country. plus, the biggest reason why i wont vote for hillary is because i dont want to see a monarchy begin in this country. for the last 20 years, there has either been a bush or clinton in the white house in some form and in my humble opinion, i dont feel that our country needs that. we need a fresh voice.

Love Dogg

QuoteI'd say racism may not run as deep as you heard on the BBC.

But unfortunately, it is still very present.  I've lived my whole life (30 years) in Kentucky, and the majority (21 years) in the rural communities of the state.  I've lived in Louisville for nine years but I still hear racism, occasionally.  

For the most part, Louisville is one of the greatest melting pots on earth; that's one of the reasons I live here.  But there are a LOT of uneducated white people from certain parts of the city, and pretty much the entire state who are extremely racist.  They're voting for Hillary (which is fine) but they will vote for McCain if the other choice is Obama.  I am so proud of Kentucky for so many reasons: basketball, horses, women, baseball bats, lakes, etc.  but times like these is when I am so embarrassed to be from here.

PEACE!
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

searchinbig

No racial boundary lines, no social subdivisions.   ;)
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."