2 Rants and a confession

Started by The_DARK, May 31, 2008, 10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The DARK

1. Okay...why do girls take shit so seriously when it should be clear that it is meant in the most humorous of ways? You're trying to be a nice guy and are having fun when you make a comment that obviously isn't serious but they use it as a chance to vent anyway. Gimme a break. It seems that I'm more sincere than half the people out there these days, but they all take me for granted as some idiotic joker without looking deeper.

2. What's up with all the cynical people these days? People seem to have forgotten what it means to have a good time. It's just everywhere, especially on the internet. Maybe I need to get out more, but some people really need to lighten up.

Confession: In the end, my problem is that I can't really relate to all the people around me. I haven't had to go through basically any real shit yet, it's all been in my mind. It's gotta happen at some point, and I really wish it would happen sooner than later.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Ghosts_on_TV

Women are strange creatures.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

TheBigChicken

It's late at night when I type this and my better half is out of town.So please take this for what it's worth. I turned 37 this month and realized that unfortunately life is much more sadness than happiness. I would guess at least for most. Being a teenager sucks.Next are the twenties and then the dirty thirties. I guess what I'm really trying to say is There's Too Many Women, And Too Little Time-Robert Cray's version...damn I'm drunk :D :D :D :D :D
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

bluntmaster

Quote1. Okay...why do girls take shit so seriously when it should be clear that it is meant in the most humorous of ways? You're trying to be a nice guy and are having fun when you make a comment that obviously isn't serious but they use it as a chance to vent anyway. Gimme a break. It seems that I'm more sincere than half the people out there these days, but they all take me for granted as some idiotic joker without looking deeper.

2. What's up with all the cynical people these days? People seem to have forgotten what it means to have a good time. It's just everywhere, especially on the internet. Maybe I need to get out more, but some people really need to lighten up.

Confession: In the end, my problem is that I can't really relate to all the people around me. I haven't had to go through basically any real shit yet, it's all been in my mind. It's gotta happen at some point, and I really wish it would happen sooner than later.

1.) if the you tell a funny joke and said bitch gets pissed just tell her to get over it and grow a pair.

2.) why not be cynical everybody is lying to you most of the time, or full of shit.  with exception.  the world is corrupt right now.

3.) enjoy your life while you are happy and it is easy to enjoy.

capt. scotty

I ponder that same first question and have yet to come upon a decent answer...happens to me all the time..hah
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

bluntmaster

seriously you guys are being pussies.  the answer to 1.) is a fucking social issue so it involves how two different people are reacting towards each other.  you are probably at fault if it happens all the time.  conversations go two ways. if you're sincere and shit why do you say you bullshit all the time?

all that's going to happen as you get older is you will fall in and out of touch with certain friends, make new ones, people you know will start to die- some will be random, babies will start to be born, you may or may not start a family, you may or may not have a child, and if you do then you have to raise it and balance your marriage or relationship, then you buy stuff for a while, then you retire and watch your kids have kids, or do whatever else old people do, be wise who knows. then you die.  but right now, I don't know how old you are but I'd assume young.  right at this period in your life is the point when all old people look back and regret shit they didn't do.  that is why you have to quit being pussies pursue your dreams and have fun.  you want everybody to have fun but you think everybodies cynical, maybe you're just emo.

da tum tssh

The DARK

The problem is that half the stuff I do is an act. Sometimes people can't tell when I'm being serious and when I'm just having fun. I guess I'm really just a lot of people rolled into one, and it doesn't always work that well. :-/

Like JJ said, I'm not crying about it, I just kinda wish I had a sense of identity.

And Bluntmaster, there's nothing wrong with being openfaced about this kinda thing. Even guys have to get the shit out sometimes.

tomEisenbraun

QuoteThe problem is that half the stuff I do is an act. Sometimes people can't tell when I'm being serious and when I'm just having fun. I guess I'm really just a lot of people rolled into one, and it doesn't always work that well. :-/

Then cut it out, man. What stage of life are you in? It seemed like you were saying you're still pretty young? High school? College? Out of college?

Wherever it is, and shit, I really don't mean to be a bummer about things, but since the whole topic's been opened up for discussion I'll throw it out there--it is really hard to maintain friends in this kind of a social relationship. Truth of it is, when you spend most of your time just sort of joking around about things and not going too in-depth, there's a wall gets built, and the friendships don't establish beyond that point where people go looking for you to actually hang with you. This is the big universal you, not just you.

I had to figure that out in high school--I spent my childhood moving with my mom and step-dad, and never had deep-rooted friends. As cool as it was to get to re-evaluate and reinvent myself towards the most genuine image of me, it also was a bummer to not have the luxury of having been around forever, grown up with people, and just been sort of inducted into this big group of friends. At the same time, I think it was a good challenge, because it meant that I couldn't just say something funny and people would love me and want to keep me around. Maybe for a little while, yeah, but if you've got nothing substantial to give and no reason beyond an occasional laugh to offer, chances are people aren't going to induct you into that canon of friendship. Shit sort of hit the fan summer before senior year of high school, when one of the people I valued as one of my best friends just raked me through the coals and just sort of threw out our friendship. I had even worked really hard to be genuine with him as a friend, but he hadn't worked to return it, and it all kind of came down to the two of us pissing all over eachother.

I got to college and didn't make a ton friends like I had in high school. I didn't want to just hang out with people and not have some sort of impact on them. I was looking for people to be best friends with--the people who really mattered a lot to me, and who would seek me out as a friend--look for me to go do stuff with, share music, want to show me stuff they did or made--one of those people you could really proud about for the things they did, that you could share secrets with, ask for for help from, and who you would more than gladly give all of that to whenever they needed it. Maybe that's sort of a hokey? But that really is what a good friend is. And it doesn't need to be limited to one person, and you'll find that it really can't be as you get older and move and can't keep that kind of friendship up just because of lack of physical proximity. But those kinds of friends stay with you forever. I forged an incredible friendship with my buddy Sean, and have since moved away from Nashville where we were going to school. We still keep up with eachother, and he's still the first person I go to with music and life troubles/questions. Now that I've been away from Nasvhille for a while, I've started to build good friendships here--a very similar kind of friendship but one that's different because the people involved are different. A friendship is really a relationship, but not a romantic one--two people both carrying their own weight towards the other, and sometimes carrying the weight of the other. But a good friendship has a lot of trouble being forged out of casual social interaction--that just doesn't have much for it to grasp onto. You might share stuff that you have in common, yeah, but it's not the same as seeking someone out to share it with or having them seek you out--it's just casual social interaction.

So don't just sit on it--if you're needing real good solid friends, go make 'em! Nothing's holding you back but yourself. And as for the real shit that you've never gone through--most of it will never come in the form of confrontation or an obvious external source. Most of it is you figuring yourself out in yoru own head. So don't wait on something else to hit you in the face to show you that the external stuff only amplifies and makes obvious the need to get your head figured out for yourself--see it now as you're dealing with stuff and figuring out what you need to deal with to be who you need to be.

Nothing good comes easy, but working for good beats the shit out of putting up with the bad (even with the "just okay").

(Sorry for the book--felt I needed to thank Riny for re-enabling us to go beyond 2000 characters!)
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

.Walt

watch the first minute of this clip over and over again, until you realize...http://stewiesplayground.com/2008/02/08/stewie-griffin-goes-to-high-school/
yeah, it's Family Guy, but there's a lot of truth behind this...a lot.

it is what it is. it's high school. just be yourself. sounds cliché, because it is.

you could just stare at a lake.  ;)
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Angry Ewok

I would be freaking miserable if I allowed myself to be. At least for now, I've got just as much reason to bitch as anyone else on these forums do - I've been thinking about posting a vent in the Current Complaints, but I dunno - anyway, at the same time, I may be one of the more blessed folks around here.

You've got to see the good with the bad, and you've got to learn how to channel your concentration away from the negatives and into things that are either positive, or will at least generate positivity. So shame on you for wishing misfortunes on yourself, whether you are sincere or not, just because our society tells everyone that absolute failure is an inevitably.

The media, the schools, the parents, the government - everyone is telling you that ultimate failure is an inevitability not only in your life, but also on a global scale. "We're fucked" is this generations motto and folks will go so far as to invent reasons to prove it so - Y2K, global warming, bad presidencies, Mayan Calendars, rising gas prices - sure, it all sucks for somebody, but I refuse to resign myself to failure just because shit happens.

I have a dead-end job, and two years into this I know I'm not going to get benefits, and I'm not going to get anymore raises. But I don't just quit my job before I have something else lined up. Life should be like that, too.

You really don't know what you're asking for, man, and if you're not careful you may not only have uncontrollable misfortune (your cat could be eaten by a coyote, deaths in the family can occur, you might get the shits for three days and lose 8 pounds in 4 days), but you can subconsciously foil your own efforts with a downtrodden attitude.

That's not hippy-talk, and bluntmaster can call us all a bunch of pussies for preferring to discuss our "feelings" instead of talking about our secret fight club that meets on Wednesdays, but so be it...

Women, as you've seen, often times take some random thing seriously even when it is clear that the conversation is light hearted and totally in good humor. Meg even does it, and she's supposed to be cool. It annoys me the hell out of me, and she knows it does, but she still does it. That said, sometimes when women do that thing they do, it isn't a conscious thing at all.

Chicks just have much different wiring than us and that's a good thing, usually. When they decide to take exception to a joke, and become offended or go bipolar on you, your best bet isn't necessarily to apologize, but to disengage and notice that it's time to switch gears.

It sounds like you've sort of been categorized as a jester and you're having a hard time breaking away from that because nobody will give you a second glance. I know how that is - I was the same way in highschool. In truth, I was a jester because that was one of my ways to shield people from seeing my serious insecurities. I'm out of college, now, but the college years offer a blank slate for everyone. I was never able to break away from that when I was in high school, I was a social outcast and all I ever did was aggravate that, so I can't really offer up much advice in that department.

I will note that the same people that I felt didn't care for me, were the exact group of people that showed up at my listening parties this year and the last.

All I can suggest is just be yourself. You say you can't relate to anyone because you're life is all churned butter and garlic bread and you don't know what it's like to have a life in shambles - but what ever happened to relating to people for their blessings? Wouldn't you rather have positive things to relate to with your friends, anyway?

There are so many good people in this community that it is an absolute cesspool of brotherly love. No joke, man. There are four people in this thread alone that I've either met or I have their phone number and intend to meet. That's what I'm talking about!

You know what to do, grasshopper. You can still keep a guard up, and you should, but lose the negative mind frame.

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Jenny

Okay, okay, okay okay. let's just get it out there:
high school sucks.
high school will always suck.
people in high school suck, even you and me.

but here's the kicker:

you're just a kid
i'm just a kid too! we're TEENAGERS and we're ANGSTy because we CAN be, because that's what 15, 16, 17, 18 years old MEANS! we have an excuse! so be angsty! be angry! i'm telling you, it's not right to be happy right now because there's no possible way to be! between those goddamn SATs that don't mean SHIT and trying to get into those ivy league schools that i don't even know the names of... and parents and teachers and curfews and boyfriends and girlfriends and friends that aren't really important and summer and school work. it just totally BLOWS! and look, maybe i'm totally spoiled. i mean, i live a totally awesome life in a totally awesome town and attend the number 4 high school in the country... but it SUCKS! because people suck! but it's allowed to! why? BECAUSE I'M SEVENTEEN (IN UNDER A MONTH!)!

all i'm trying to say is that i think we're supposed to be sort of unhappy rihgt now. if anyone says they're genuinely happy between the ages of 14 - 17 years old, they're probably lying. maybe this is just the way i see it. i mean, it probably is. whatever. all i'm saying is get it out now, and realize it, 'cos if you don't it's just gonna build up and you'll never get it out and you'll become incredibly frustrated as you grow older. just acknowledge it, because it is what it is.

anyway, here's my real point:
WE'RE CHILDREN! shit don't matter!!! we fuck up time and time again, but we'll learn. i mean, i already have started to... you probably have to.
and honestly, if that girl takes shit the wrong way, why waste your time? if you can't be you around someone then fuck it. that's what i've learned these last five months.

but from a female perspective on said issue of tkaing shit seriously: we do it. every one does it. but i knwo i just do it out of fear of fucking shit up... i'm incredibly neurotic, incredibly paranoid. and if my boyfriend says something to me that's sort of kidding, but with a side of seriousness that hits me in my sensitive hitting spot, then i'll freak out. not because i'm angry with him about what he said, but because of how i can be better and how i can maintain a stable, loving, mutual relationship... yet then it just perpetuates becasue i realize that i freak out and that's probably more irritating on his side... and so it just goes on and on and on

granted i guess i don't know what you said to her. that's just waht i'm sayin' for sayin' sake.

whatever.
we're children.

relax.  :)

The DARK

Hope I didn't sound like a sad bastard in my posts.  ;) Anyone who knows me thinks otherwise. I almost seem way too postitive for my own good at times. Thanks for the comments everyone.

Whatever. Only 2 more awkward years of high school and then it's off to college and fun.  :D

bluntmaster

vent your feelings all you want, but with my help you might just grow a pair young potoo.  after that you'll be bangin hoes in no time and WAY less stressed.  PM if you want some tips.  and Ewok this IS a pussy ass thread, he's bitching about nothing.  "my life is good wahh".
just my 2cents.   :)

Angry Ewok

Did you just offer to take Potoo's virginity?
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

tomEisenbraun

I love this freaking board.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

bluntmaster

there's no way his tight little ass can handle my massive cock

The DARK

The things that happen when I'm gone... ;D