The 50 worst announcers in sports today

Started by ycartrob, Jan 30, 2009, 03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

Too bad this didn't include more hockey. Darren Pang is okay at best, but I bet Versus has a plethora of bad NHL announcers. And of course there's always ABC and their stable of awful MLS announcers. That moron Scotsman Tommy Smyth doing soccer colour over at ESPN. Dan Shulman isn't on the list and in my opinion, he's one of the best all-round play-by-play announcers in the US (Give it up to Barrie, Ontario!).

Anyway, this guy is a tool since he seems to mention almost every top US announcer. If I had to add in a bad announcer (that none of you know since its a Canadian thing), Toronto Maple Leafs play-by-play man Joe Bowen is an idiot. He thinks he's on the team. Raptors colour guy Leo Rautins (ex-Orangeman great) is pretty darn bad too.

goose

I know this is a news guy, but it is pretty bad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W45DRy7M1no

Annnndd... Boom goes the dyanamite!
Hooked on four like one, two, three

Coltrane

I simply won't watch any telecast that features Joe Buck or Tim McCarver. The World Series and important NFL games have never been so boring. (Not to mention the fact that McCarver gave My Reds no chance to beat Oakland in 1990, and never gave them any credit after they destroyed them!).

Just give me Marv Albert and an any NBA game and I'll be happy.
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

joey_rogo

The funny thing about this list is that half of the people on it are also on the Top 50 GREATEST of all time list that he links to in the article. ::)

I disagree with a lot of what this guy says, but that's ok I guess. It's clear that he only watches ESPN.

I love Chris Berman, he and Tom Jackson have revolutionized football highlights and it's always fun trying to catch his oldies song references.

DW is the man. Darrell Waltrip often injects humor into the NASCAR races he covers, which can sometimes get kinda boring. (I'm a NASCAR fan, btw)

I don't like Joe Buck, but what he did in that video was perfectly legit. Moss is an ass.

I think I'm the only person on earth who actually liked it when Dennis Miller did MNF. He knows sports but he knows politics and pop culture even more and I think 99% of his jokes and observations just flew right over peoples heads. I like Tony Kornheiser by the same token. I'd take him over Madden and Michaels any day.

Also, Rick Jeanneret is hands down the worst commentator in the history of sports. but as Jaimoe mentioned, this list ignores hockey (because ESPN doesn't cover it anymore :-/).

At least he puts Stephen A Smith on the list. A little too low though.

Jaimoe, does Bowen ever do Hockey Night in Canada or does he just do the Leafs local broadcasts?

BH

QuoteI know this is a news guy, but it is pretty bad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W45DRy7M1no

Annnndd... Boom goes the dyanamite!

Wow, that was painful.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Jaimoe

QuoteAlso, Rick Jeanneret is hands down the worst commentator in the history of sports. but as Jaimoe mentioned, this list ignores hockey (because ESPN doesn't cover it anymore :-/).

At least he puts Stephen A Smith on the list. A little too low though.

Jaimoe, does Bowen ever do Hockey Night in Canada or does he just do the Leafs local broadcasts?

Darren Pang is on there though as the only hockey guy. He's actually ok as an NHL insider, but there's a reason why he hasn't done colour in decades in Canada.

I hate Stephen A. Smith with a passion.

Joe Bowen is the Leafs radio voice and he does all non-CBC Leaf broadcasts. So, he's on Sportsnet and TSN, but exclusively for the Leafs. HNIC used to have future Hall of Famers Bob Cole and Harry Neale, but the CBC broke the pair up and Neale has basically retired from the CBC (or was retired by the CBC) and only does Sabres games (he lives in Buffalo) with the aforementioned Rick Jeanneret. I'm not a big fan of either of those two, but Neale used to be great. He's grown tiresome. Cole has moved over to do Montreal games for HNIC.

The best sportscaster I've ever seen/heard was the late Don Whittman on the CBC - he died of cancer last year (with all due respect to Vin Scully, Jack Buck and Keith Jackson). If he worked in the States, he'd make many Best Of lists. He called everything from hockey (mostly western NHL games featuring Canadian-based teams for HNIC) to football, but he was untouchable as an Olympic announcer. Understated, knowledgeable and fair.

capt. scotty

I hope whoever did the NCAA championship game is on the list.

Billy Packer hopefully

Kornheiser should probably be on it too, but Im a big fan of him in general and on PTI
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Long List I tell ya

The best

Mike Tirico and Bill Walton and of course

my favorite Chick Hearn. :)

I agree that Kornheiser, Packer, McCarver can shove it.

Will ponder the list some more.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

mjkoehler

1 glaring omission, Brent Pus...Musburger. I f'n hate that guy. He is just afwul.

primushead

QuoteI hope whoever did the NCAA championship game is on the list.

Billy Packer hopefully

Kornheiser should probably be on it too, but Im a big fan of him in general and on PTI

Billy Packer is simply the worst announcer I've ever heard.  He is sooo biased, and doesn't think before he says ANYTHING.  

I'm still pissed over the March 8th, 2006 incident...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGHaLUgrzi4[/media]

"That defintely wasn't intentional".  What a moron.

I'm glad he's not CBS's announcer anymore.

Ghosts_on_TV

John Madden should be higher up than 19.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

aMillionDreams

This list should be called the 50 most hated sports announcers today.  Their summary of Joe Buck was great, "Alternating between dull and sanctimonious, Buck is a crotchety curmudgeon trapped in a younger man's body." He used to be one of my favorites until the Moss incident.  Then I realized how boring he makes the games he calls (although he still is one of my favorite Baseball announcers, the pace of his voice must fit the game better)

Madden used to be good but time has taken his sense and reason, it seems, and left him with nothing but a love for Brett Favre and a grab bag of catch phrases.  And I say this with love because Madden actually is a friend of the family.  His wife is my aunt's best friend.  He's a nice guy, but just about everyone agrees it's about time for him to retire.

Bob Costas used to be one of the best.  I really wish he'd start calling games again.  Is the money really that bad, Bob?

Coming from Cincinnati I have a love-hate relationship with Chris Collinsworth.  In that I hated him when he was local and I love him now that he's national (just as he dogged the Bengals locally and defends them nationally).  There are still a few times I want to smack his over-sized head off his body, though.

Thom Brennaman is a Cincinnati sportscaster, son of the famous Red Radio play-by-play guy, so I was really rooting for him in the National Championship game.  My god, he wouldn't get his head out of Tebow's ass.  He really made himself look like a idiot.  Never knowing what down it was and calling end arounds reverses didn't help either.

Oh and the worst announcer not mentioned: Bob Griese.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

tower

I can not agree more with the poster above about Musberger.  Every time I hear him call a game I want to punch him.  And then they put him with Steve Lavin, fucking painful!  Has Brent Musberger ever played a sport or even gone for a run?  

And yep Billy Packer's absence from college bball is not a mournful event.
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

mjkoehler

QuoteI can not agree more with the poster above about Musberger.  Every time I hear him call a game I want to punch him.  And then they put him with Steve Lavin, fucking painful!  Has Brent Musberger ever played a sport or even gone for a run?  

And yep Billy Packer's absence from college bball is not a mournful event.
No he hasn't, he's such a fucking douche. He actually got arrested in Lincoln (or Omaha can't remember which ) for DUI and apparently was told never come back because of his attitude. I have never like him and his bias against my beloved Huskers is just unforgivable.

Jaimoe

I hate Packer. His distain for the Big East - and in particular for the Syracuse Orangemen - has made my blood boil for close to 30 years.

Marv Albert is an excellent hockey play-by-play guy, but he never does games anymore.

capt. scotty

I typically only watch the NBA during the playoffs, and its not going with the thread, but 1 guy who I think is a surprisingly good announcer is Jeff Van Gundy.

Dude is seriously hilarious.

...and I think Collinsworth is very good
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

I hope some of you haven't seen these or listened to them,  to take the time to check em out.  Unfortunately there a ton of Waltonisms written down but these are 2 of the best live audio calls ever that that can still be found!!! ;D ;D ;D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSZS6sRVWsk[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP6F31SM1pc[/media]

;D ;D ;D
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

fast_willie_parker

John Madden and Al Michaels need to go away.

I concur with capt. headdy's assessment of Jeff Van Gundy--dude is hilarious.  I had an NBA game on in the background one night, and couldn't get over his comments.  I never sit and watch an NBA game on TV, but this guy's got talent for sure.  I can't imagine what he was like as a coach...

capt. scotty

QuoteJohn Madden and Al Michaels need to go away.

I concur with capt. headdy's assessment of Jeff Van Gundy--dude is hilarious.  I had an NBA game on in the background one night, and couldn't get over his comments.  I never sit and watch an NBA game on TV, but this guy's got talent for sure.  I can't imagine what he was like as a coach...

Al Michaels is 1 of, if not, the best play by play guys around.

Madden on the other hand..yeah