DVDs you just bought

Started by MMJ_fanatic, Jan 08, 2009, 12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

Looking forward to your thoughts on JCVD.  I've been meaning to give that a watch.  

dragonboy

QuoteLooking forward to your thoughts on JCVD.  I've been meaning to give that a watch.  
Looks interesting, doesn't it?

Just ordered these, all out on March 10th:

Role Models
Milk
Let The Right One In
South Park Season12
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

Wanted to see The Guns Of Navarone again so I just ordered a 3 disc boxset with The Bridge On The River Kwai, Guns Of Navarone & Das Boot.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

mjkoehler

QuoteWanted to see The Guns Of Navarone again so I just ordered a 3 disc boxset with The Bridge On The River Kwai, Guns Of Navarone & Das Boot.
Nice! Bridge is one of my favs of all time.

dragonboy

QuoteWanted to see The Guns Of Navarone again so I just ordered a 3 disc boxset with The Bridge On The River Kwai, Guns Of Navarone & Das Boot.
Nice! Bridge is one of my favs of all time.
Yeah that's a classic fo sho! I wanted to see a David Niven movie, hence Guns. I only one I haven't seen is Das Boot.

mjkoehler

Its been eons since I've seen Das Boot. I remember it was good.

David Niven eh? Oh, the original Pink Panther movie(s) (and far superior to that shit Steve Martin is making) is calling me for a visit soon. Please Don't Eat the Daises would be a good call too.

ManNamedTruth

Season 1 of The Wire. Never seen it before but had to after all the great things I've heard here.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

dragonboy

QuoteSeason 1 of The Wire. Never seen it before but had to after all the great things I've heard here.
You're in for a real treat! Give it a few episodes as it takes a little while to introduce the characters & build the story. My only other comment is after watching Season1 you'll regret not having bought all 5 seasons in a bundle  :)

ManNamedTruth

QuoteSeason 1 of The Wire. Never seen it before but had to after all the great things I've heard here.
You're in for a real treat! Give it a few episodes as it takes a little while to introduce the characters & build the story. My only other comment is after watching Season1 you'll regret not having bought all 5 seasons in a bundle  :)

I'm sure I'll get them all, but money can't allow that right now. I'll buy season 2 after I'm done with this one, or if I find it for a good bargain.

capt. scotty

I know Amazon and Best Buy were selling all 5 seasons for 80-90$ around Xmas, but not sure if thats still going on.

I agree with DB - make sure you watch at least half the first season before questioning if you like it or not. The 1st season takes especially long to get into stride because all the cops are just teaming up, etc. Also, I know by the time I finished the first season I still didnt know all the mid level characters, so dont let that frustrate you. Theres a lot of characters to keep track of, but if you pay attention and dont watch it drunk ( :)), you should be fine.

When starting, Id recommend watching the "Previously On" things they have before each episode and reading the on screen synopsis they give. Should help with that somewhat.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Bumbeli

Just got myself "Eternal sunshine on a spotless mind, really looking forward to it.
Then, after I've read a lot about the Wire here on the board and some good reviews, I ordered myself the first season, but it's gonna take a while until I can watch that
Feelings hour, every tuesday morning.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli"]http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli[/url]

capt. scotty

Eternal Sunshine is good.

Its funny because maybe the 2 best comedy actors of the 90's - Carrey and Adam Sandler - have excelled with dramatic roles this decade and not been all that good in comedy IMO.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ManNamedTruth

QuoteJust got myself "Eternal sunshine on a spotless mind, really looking forward to it.
Then, after I've read a lot about the Wire here on the board and some good reviews, I ordered myself the first season, but it's gonna take a while until I can watch that

If you like Eternal Sunshine, then watch The Science Of Sleep next. I love both but I think I prefer the latter.

st. john

elizabethtown - finally.

Janet

Quoteelizabethtown - finally.

This movie was ok.  I really wanted it to be better than it was as I basically worship at the altar of Cameron Crow ('cept for Vanilla Sky - I thought that movie sucked).

Freebird!

ManNamedTruth

Quoteelizabethtown - finally.

This movie was ok.  I really wanted it to be better than it was as I basically worship at the altar of Cameron Crow ('cept for Vanilla Sky - I thought that movie sucked).

Freebird!

Vanilla Sky is my favorite Crow movie. Why did you think that it sucked?

st. john

true - go see the original and then u will know y cameron's sucked.

all that 's good about this one is the story line and that comes entirely from original. they tried to do engliash language version when all they shud'v done is put up subtitles.

seriously true, do ur self a favour and see original.

st. john

lucylew - thx 4 warning - i shall expect the worst so hopefully be only moderately disappointed.

ManNamedTruth

Quotetrue - go see the original and then u will know y cameron's sucked.

all that 's good about this one is the story line and that comes entirely from original. they tried to do engliash language version when all they shud'v done is put up subtitles.

seriously true, do ur self a favour and see original.

Didn't know that was a remake, found it on IMDB though. Some people seem to still think Vanilla Sky is better, probably gonna pass on that.

Janet

Hey True,

It been many years since I saw Vanilla Sky.  I think that the reason I found it so disappointing is that what I love about Cameron Crowe's movies is that there is a lot of heart in the writing and the dialogue just crackles.  

Maybe it was because this was a remake and not one of his original scripts, but this one just didn't do it for me.

Perhaps I should take another look at it.  Why is it your favorite work of his?