DVDs you just bought

Started by MMJ_fanatic, Jan 08, 2009, 12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

The Who - The Kids Are Alright

dragonboy

QuoteThe Who - The Kids Are Alright
Money well spent K! I don't think I'll ever get tired of watching that...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

QuoteMoney well spent K! I don't think I'll ever get tired of watching that...
So far me neither!  (I've got it on now for what I think is the third time since I bought it Friday.)  That performance at Monterey Pop floors me.  I need to get my hands on that DVD set as well.

Do you happen to know how the rest of Rock n Roll Circus is?  Because their performance of "A Quick One..." is spectacular.  

Rock and roll doesn't get much better than this:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUbGLVvfB7Y[/media]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUbGLVvfB7Y

ManNamedTruth

QuoteHey True,

It been many years since I saw Vanilla Sky.  I think that the reason I found it so disappointing is that what I love about Cameron Crowe's movies is that there is a lot of heart in the writing and the dialogue just crackles.  

Maybe it was because this was a remake and not one of his original scripts, but this one just didn't do it for me.

Perhaps I should take another look at it.  Why is it your favorite work of his?

Well I guess I like strange movies that require more than one viewing. The more I have to think about a film, the more rewarding it is understanding it. I connected with the artistic aspect of it, the emotions, the dreaminess. I am a little let down to learn that its a remake from a fairly recent foreign film. And Penelope Cruz is in both? The reason its my favorite Crowe film? I'm not that big of a Crowe fan I guess. He seems like a good guy that obviously has good musical tastes. Almost Famous was good. Elizabethtown was a chick flick, I only watched it to see MMJ in it. Say Anything is a typical 80's movie, entertaining from what I remember but nothing special. I've never seen Jerry Maguire.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

dragonboy

QuoteDo you happen to know how the rest of Rock n Roll Circus is?  Because their performance of "A Quick One..." is spectacular.
Rock N Roll Circus is excellent. I'm sure you know the story about the Stones not being happy with their performance but I think it's a great DVD & must have for any fan of classic rock.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAjdRHzH4M8[/media]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAjdRHzH4M8

Dirty Mac!!!
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

Quotetrue - go see the original and then u will know y cameron's sucked.

all that 's good about this one is the story line and that comes entirely from original. they tried to do engliash language version when all they shud'v done is put up subtitles.

seriously true, do ur self a favour and see original.

Didn't know that was a remake, found it on IMDB though. Some people seem to still think Vanilla Sky is better, probably gonna pass on that.
I thought you would be the first to admit that the original is nearly always the best...you know, what with you being an artist and everything.

MMJ_fanatic

Black Label Society--"Boozed, Broozed, and Broken Boned.  Live with the Detroit Chapter"  Great concert video, with Rob Trujillo tearing it up on the bass while Zakk whales on his axe
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

ManNamedTruth

Quotetrue - go see the original and then u will know y cameron's sucked.

all that 's good about this one is the story line and that comes entirely from original. they tried to do engliash language version when all they shud'v done is put up subtitles.

seriously true, do ur self a favour and see original.

Didn't know that was a remake, found it on IMDB though. Some people seem to still think Vanilla Sky is better, probably gonna pass on that.
I thought you would be the first to admit that the original is nearly always the best...you know, what with you being an artist and everything.

Yeah I usually do, but usually I would be familiar with the original first. If I see it anywhere maybe I'll watch it but I won't go out of my way to find it.

capt. scotty

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Extreme DVD)
Minority Report
Swingers

All for the sum of 7.5$  :)

Edit to Add: Oh yeah, I finally got the Okonokononos DVD too ::)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ManNamedTruth

Synedoche, New York and Let The Right One In. I've been waiting for Synedoche for a long time, no theater near me ever got it. I have high expectations for both films. I'll watch at least one tonight, maybe both.

Crispy

Apocalypse Now - Complete Dossier version. Includes both the 1979 original and the Redux version, along with lots of documentary stuff. The bits about the soundtrack and music are fascinating - this was pretty much the first movie that had a 5.1 surround mix that was used in the theaters.

I was always puzzled when I rented the movie because I could have sworn there was some crazy explosion imagery during the credits at the end, turns out that was only on the first prints and initial video releases, and removed in all later versions.
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

capt. scotty

QuoteSynedoche, New York and Let The Right One In. I've been waiting for Synedoche for a long time, no theater near me ever got it. I have high expectations for both films. I'll watch at least one tonight, maybe both.

Heard mixed reviews on that movie. Either its great or its terrible pretty much. 1 of those guys on "At The Movies" had it in the Top 5 of their worst movies of 2008, and that says something because most of the other movies in their were like Love Guru and Beverly Hills Chihuahua
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

QuoteApocalypse Now - Complete Dossier version. Includes both the 1979 original and the Redux version, along with lots of documentary stuff. The bits about the soundtrack and music are fascinating - this was pretty much the first movie that had a 5.1 surround mix that was used in the theaters.

I was always puzzled when I rented the movie because I could have sworn there was some crazy explosion imagery during the credits at the end, turns out that was only on the first prints and initial video releases, and removed in all later versions.

IMO its easily the best war movie ever made

ManNamedTruth

QuoteSynedoche, New York and Let The Right One In. I've been waiting for Synedoche for a long time, no theater near me ever got it. I have high expectations for both films. I'll watch at least one tonight, maybe both.

Heard mixed reviews on that movie. Either its great or its terrible pretty much. 1 of those guys on "At The Movies" had it in the Top 5 of their worst movies of 2008, and that says something because most of the other movies in their were like Love Guru and Beverly Hills Chihuahua

Fuck those guys. I've read enough great reviews that I KNOW I'll like it, I've liked all of Kaufman's movies so far. Most people that don't like it probably don't get Kaufman. Roger Ebert had it in his favorites of '08, i'm sure he knows more than those guys from at the movies. Well I'm gonna watch soon so I'll report back later.

dragonboy

Live Aid
Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol1
IT Crowd Vols1,2&3
Tyson: The Movie
The Wrestler
Dean Spanley

capt. scotty

I heard that Tyson documentary is pretty good actually. I definitely gotta check it out, not only as a film fan, but as a boxing and Tyson fan.

xmascriminal

QuoteThe Wrestler

Did you like that one DB? It was my favorite movie of last year by far.

dragonboy

Haven't watched either of them yet (Tyson or The Wrestler)

I'm off for a week starting this Wednesday, so I'm saving them both for my holiday  :)

FACE

i really didn't get the wrestler... people loved it... i don't know, man.

ManNamedTruth

Quotei really didn't get the wrestler... people loved it... i don't know, man.

What part didn't you get?
Wrong thread, but I recently saw that too.