"A historic" or "AN historic"?

Started by dcdub, Feb 25, 2010, 11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcdub

I've been hearing "an" used before the word "historic" a lot lately. I first heard it in a commercial for some local event celebrating the life of MLK Jr last month, which I found to be initially infuriating, then somewhat humorous. THEN I heard Ben Bailey of Cash Cab use it, so it really got me wondering. What do you guys think/use?
Shooting in the dark as to what's best

mjkoehler

"an" is correct English I believe.

Plus Headdy (that's Headly) Lamar used an in Blazing Saddles so it must be right.

megalicious

"a historic?"

Also: it irritates the hell out of me when people say "historical." All you need is "historic."
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

ALady

I think either is acceptable in modern usage.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

AMightyCaporal

Quote"a historic?"

Also: it irritates the hell out of me when people say "historical." All you need is "historic."
;D that joke is historical!  ;D

Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

capt. scotty

I thought "an" is only used when the first letter of the word that follows begins with a vowel?  :-?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Penny Lane

QuoteI thought "an" is only used when the first letter of the word that follows begins with a vowel?  :-?

No, Capt. Maybe you collaborated w/your friends too much on your take home English exams.  ;) ;D  
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

capt. scotty

QuoteI thought "an" is only used when the first letter of the word that follows begins with a vowel?  :-?

No, Capt. Maybe you collaborated w/your friends too much on your take home English exams.  ;) ;D  

English was never my strength...I think the last book I willingly read was a R.L. Stine Goosebumps book.

Still, I was pretty sure that was the correct usage of "an"...when can/can't "an" be used then Professor Penny Lane?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Penny Lane

English was never my strength...I think the last book I willingly read was a R.L. Stine Goosebumps book.

Still, I was pretty sure that was the correct usage of "an"...when can/can't "an" be used then Professor Penny Lane?

that rule is correct, but w/every rule there are exceptions--i think also w/certain soft "H"s ...like 'honorary'...

Ruckus

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

vespachick

Shouldn't it be: an R.L. Stine Goosebumps book?
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Crispy

Quote"a historic?"

Does anyone else like to say, "Let's stop at that hysterical marker up ahead," when driving down the highway?

vespa:  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

TheBigChicken

Shouldn't it be: an R.L. Stine Goosebumps book?
;D ;D ;D
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

ALady

Quote"a historic?"

Does anyone else like to say, "Let's stop at that hysterical marker up ahead," when driving down the highway?

Yes   ;D
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

dcdub

Yeah the rule is to use 'an' before vowels or vowel sounds like "R.L." or "hour" but who the hell says "istoric"? I think I would just punch someone straight in the mouth if I heard them say "istoric". I have a really hard time holding back when people say "umble" but I draw the line at "istoric", you're gonna get punched if you go there. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Shooting in the dark as to what's best

kydiddle

Me fail English? That's unpossible.
Cow temperature.

jones

Paulie_Walnuts

Do you have the problem in the US when people are spelling a word over the phone and say "haitch" for the letter H?

It should be pronounced "aitch" with a silent "h" shouldn't it?

It drives me fucking insane! Especially as my car license plate contains two H's in it. Every time I call up about a current insurance claim I have to say "aitch aitch" and invariably the guy on the other end repeats "haitch haitch."

It's one of those things over here that more and more people are saying "haitch" and I am becoming a minority!

>:( >:( >:( >:(
Paulie W

Crispy

QuoteYeah the rule is to use 'an' before vowels or vowel sounds like "R.L." or "hour" but who the hell says "istoric"? I think I would just punch someone straight in the mouth if I heard them say "istoric". I have a really hard time holding back when people say "umble" but I draw the line at "istoric", you're gonna get punched if you go there. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
What about "herb"? I guess I'm safe, because I do like to pronounce "herb" with the H sound so that it sounds like the name of the guy on WKRP.

I've never heard anybody say "umble"!

ALady: Nice!   :) :)
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

Penny Lane

Quote"a historic?"

i feel the same way about 'romantical'