"A historic" or "AN historic"?

Started by dcdub, Feb 25, 2010, 11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

QuoteYeah the rule is to use 'an' before vowels or vowel sounds like "R.L." or "hour" but who the hell says "istoric"? I think I would just punch someone straight in the mouth if I heard them say "istoric". I have a really hard time holding back when people say "umble" but I draw the line at "istoric", you're gonna get punched if you go there. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
What about "herb"? I guess I'm safe, because I do like to pronounce "herb" with the H sound so that it sounds like the name of the guy on WKRP.

I've never heard anybody say "umble"!

ALady: Nice!   :) :)

or when that group "Herbalizer" came out....no Americans could say it right but you sound like a tool going around, 'hey, have you heard the new Erbalizer song?'...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

dcdub

I can go either way on herb. I say 'erb' myself. I think most Americans do as well. My stepdad is from New Zealand and I've been hearing him say 'herb' for years so it doesn't really bother me.
How about this one: aluminum or aluminium?
Shooting in the dark as to what's best

weeniebeenie

QuoteI can go either way on herb. I say 'erb' myself. I think most Americans do as well. My stepdad is from New Zealand and I've been hearing him say 'herb' for years so it doesn't really bother me.
How about this one: aluminum or aluminium?
I say Herb and a-loo-mini-yum.
Actually most of the time I say tin foil instead.;)
How loud can silence get?

capt. scotty

QuoteYeah the rule is to use 'an' before vowels or vowel sounds like "R.L." or "hour" but who the hell says "istoric"? I think I would

RL sounds like a vowel?  :o
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

dcdub

QuoteYeah the rule is to use 'an' before vowels or vowel sounds like "R.L." or "hour" but who the hell says "istoric"? I think I would

Yup. Say it out loud dude.
Shooting in the dark as to what's best

AMightyCaporal

Yup. Say it out loud dude.

R= Arr or as the pirates say ARRRGGGGGHHHH
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

crazylove

The way I understand it, is that "Herb" is a name and "erb" is a type of spice used in cooking or something that a lot of you may use in other ways!
"You could kill someone up here and bury them in the snow! No one would ever find them!"- Penny Lane

mjkoehler

I thought "Herb" was this guy.