What Movie Did You Just See?

Started by wellfleet, Dec 21, 2005, 12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APR

David Foster: Off the Record.  It's on Netflix.  I had never heard of him before.  The first hour was interesting and pretty incredible.... he produced, wrote, arranged the most famous pop songs of the last few decades.  I figure music fans would be interested even though the pop stuff isn't their cup of tea.  He is quite a character and got extra famous for being on reality tv and his crazy personal life.

ericm

Quote from: APR on Aug 18, 2020, 12:44 PMDavid Foster: Off the Record.  It's on Netflix.  I had never heard of him before.  The first hour was interesting and pretty incredible.... he produced, wrote, arranged the most famous pop songs of the last few decades.  I figure music fans would be interested even though the pop stuff isn't their cup of tea.  He is quite a character and got extra famous for being on reality tv and his crazy personal life.

I had heard of him and knew of his successes and thought this was a pretty well done and interesting look at his career.

Thing is I don't care for the guy personally. Just because someone admits to being an asshole doesn't excuse them from being one in my book.

I also had a hard time with him being for the most part an absentee father. Yes he helicoptered in once in a while and made a nice splash but he really came off as only really caring about himself, his career, and that was and always will be his main priority. He seems to always be chasing that next high so to speak, and it's sad to me his kids came after that.

I'm in no way as successful as him but I couldn't ever imagine sacrificing time with my kids for anything. Money and fame included.

To each their own though and it was his choice, just a shame to me he seems to have missed out on so many more important things along the way and it doesn't seem to bother him all that much.  He pretty much says I'm David Foster, this is the way I am and everyone and else just has to accept  and deal with it if you're in my world.  He really  came off as an asshole to me, and admitting it doesn't make it any better.
"Where's Jim going?"

APR

Quote from: ericm on Aug 18, 2020, 03:51 PM
Quote from: APR on Aug 18, 2020, 12:44 PMDavid Foster: Off the Record.  It's on Netflix.  I had never heard of him before.  The first hour was interesting and pretty incredible.... he produced, wrote, arranged the most famous pop songs of the last few decades.  I figure music fans would be interested even though the pop stuff isn't their cup of tea.  He is quite a character and got extra famous for being on reality tv and his crazy personal life.

I had heard of him and knew of his successes and thought this was a pretty well done and interesting look at his career.

Thing is I don't care for the guy personally. Just because someone admits to being an asshole doesn't excuse them from being one in my book.

I also had a hard time with him being for the most part an absentee father. Yes he helicoptered in once in a while and made a nice splash but he really came off as only really caring about himself, his career, and that was and always will be his main priority. He seems to always be chasing that next high so to speak, and it's sad to me his kids came after that.

I'm in no way as successful as him but I couldn't ever imagine sacrificing time with my kids for anything. Money and fame included.

To each their own though and it was his choice, just a shame to me he seems to have missed out on so many more important things along the way and it doesn't seem to bother him all that much.  He pretty much says I'm David Foster, this is the way I am and everyone and else just has to accept  and deal with it if you're in my world.  He really  came off as an asshole to me, and admitting it doesn't make it any better.

I agree.  Difficult to like the guy and his out of whack priorities.  I'm sure some of his kids would have less kind things to say compared to the ones interviewed for the movie. 

ChiefOKONO

Just saw Yesterday again.  I love it, it is so good!  One of my favorite "music" films in the last few years!

Here's the summary if you haven't heard of it:

Yesterday is a 2019 romantic comedy film directed by Danny Boyle and screenplay by Richard Curtis, based on a story by Jack Barth and Curtis. Himesh Patel stars as struggling musician Jack Malik, who suddenly finds himself the only person who has ever heard of the Beatles and becomes famous after taking credit for their songs. The film also stars Lily James, Joel Fry, Ed Sheeran, and Kate McKinnon.

Jackets N Pones

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Mar 08, 2021, 12:42 PMJust saw Yesterday again.  I love it, it is so good!  One of my favorite "music" films in the last few years!

Here's the summary if you haven't heard of it:

Yesterday is a 2019 romantic comedy film directed by Danny Boyle and screenplay by Richard Curtis, based on a story by Jack Barth and Curtis. Himesh Patel stars as struggling musician Jack Malik, who suddenly finds himself the only person who has ever heard of the Beatles and becomes famous after taking credit for their songs. The film also stars Lily James, Joel Fry, Ed Sheeran, and Kate McKinnon.

Cool I am definitely going to check this one out.
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

ChiefOKONO

This one is upcoming and it looks awesome!

The Woman King Trailer: Viola Davis Becomes the Ultimate Weapon
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/trailers/1229504-the-woman-king-trailer-viola-davis

ranyart

I know this is going to sound a bit out of touch but Betsy and I just watched The Godfather for the first time ever for either of us.  Of course I've seen bits and pieces over the years but neither of us had ever seen it end to end.  I found it to be a very interesting movie and definitely worth watching again.  The whole bit about switching to the drug business was extremely interesting coming from a movie that is 60 years old.

The reason we watched it is because it popped up on our streaming service because of James Caan's passing.  His performance as Sonny was awesome.  I loved Brian's Song and Rollerball as a kid so it was really good seeing James in something different from around that same time frame.  All of the acting was top notch and everyone looked so freaking young!

sillyboob

The Godfather is a great movie.  A lot of people (me included) will say Godfather 2 is even better.  Steer clear of Godfather 3 though, not quite up to snuff.

I remember seeing on TV once sometime back mid / late 80s or early 90s an edit that put Godfathers 1 & 2 in sequential order, that was a very cool thing to watch.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Jackets N Pones

Quote from: ranyart on Jul 12, 2022, 05:48 PMI know this is going to sound a bit out of touch but Betsy and I just watched The Godfather for the first time ever for either of us.  Of course I've seen bits and pieces over the years but neither of us had ever seen it end to end.  I found it to be a very interesting movie and definitely worth watching again.  The whole bit about switching to the drug business was extremely interesting coming from a movie that is 60 years old.

The reason we watched it is because it popped up on our streaming service because of James Caan's passing.  His performance as Sonny was awesome.  I loved Brian's Song and Rollerball as a kid so it was really good seeing James in something different from around that same time frame.  All of the acting was top notch and everyone looked so freaking young!

Love James Caan in Bottle Rocket and Honeymoon in Vegas. RIP

Jackets N Pones

Did y'all like the new Batman. I loved it

ChiefOKONO

Yes, I loved it!  I thought the atmosphere, acting and characters were great.

I am glad that they are doing another film too.

I was wondering how they would follow up the Nolan trilogy...but I think it went quite well.

Quote from: Jackets N Pones on Jul 22, 2022, 04:37 PMDid y'all like the new Batman. I loved it

Jackets N Pones

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Jul 25, 2022, 01:18 PMYes, I loved it!  I thought the atmosphere, acting and characters were great.

I am glad that they are doing another film too.

I was wondering how they would follow up the Nolan trilogy...but I think it went quite well.

Quote from: Jackets N Pones on Jul 22, 2022, 04:37 PMDid y'all like the new Batman. I loved it

Nice! Yes I agree 100%. Their version of Gotham was really cool. Can't wait for the next one

ChiefOKONO

Jackets N Pones

I'll be sure to check all these recs out!

Just watched Dan in Real Life like we do every Thanksgiving. So good!

"Love isn't a feeling, it's an ability..."

ChiefOKONO

I ended up seeing Woman King and it was really great!  I was impressed.

Jackets N Pones

Just thought I would post this here. I'm a big fan of the Ringer's "rewatchables" podcast. It is a lot of fun to watch the "rewatchable" movie and then immediately listen to the podcast. I don't always agree with their movie takes, but it's just been a lot of fun. Highly recommend to all movie fans!

https://www.theringer.com/the-rewatchables

Jackets N Pones

Just finished watching True Romance for the first time and now I think Phone Went West is about cocaine.Tom probably brought the movie home for the guys to watch during his days working at Blockbuster. Could be totally wrong but had to post. See below from the drug deal scene. Also what an amazing cast...

You know what I'd like to do right now?

I'd like to see Dr.Zhivago.

- [ Chuckles ]

- Where is it?           

Is there a (expletive) doctor

in the house, or what?

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/f91f2f2f-ae0f-43fa-8c88-fa17551e1736

References from IMDB:

Doctor Zhivago (1965)
The film's title is used repeatedly as a code name for the large cocaine stash, in reference to the film's epic length.

Knock on Any Door (1949)
Nick Romano says, "Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse." Clarence says that same line a few times when referring to Elvis and his movies.

APR

Quote from: Jackets N Pones on Mar 13, 2023, 09:37 PMJust finished watching True Romance for the first time and now I think Phone Went West is about cocaine.Tom probably brought the movie home for the guys to watch during his days working at Blockbuster. Could be totally wrong but had to post. See below from the drug deal scene. Also what an amazing cast...

You know what I'd like to do right now?

I'd like to see Dr.Zhivago.

- [ Chuckles ]

- Where is it?           

Is there a (expletive) doctor

in the house, or what?

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/f91f2f2f-ae0f-43fa-8c88-fa17551e1736

References from IMDB:

Doctor Zhivago (1965)
The film's title is used repeatedly as a code name for the large cocaine stash, in reference to the film's epic length.

Knock on Any Door (1949)
Nick Romano says, "Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse." Clarence says that same line a few times when referring to Elvis and his movies.

True Romance is so great.  I haven't seen it in so long.  I'm sure it holds up.  I recently rewatched Resevoir Dogs, which is still amazing.   If you're a Tarrantino fan, don't sleep on Hateful Eight.